Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Leaving huge debt in UK

Leaving huge debt in UK

Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

smudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant futuresmudger_scfc has a brilliant future
Default Leaving huge debt in UK

Isn't it about time we had another of these little pearlers

Can someone come on and tell us how much debt they are leaving behind in good ol blighty??

I could do with a larf!!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 12:33 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leaving huge debt in UK

I've just found out from the friend who bought my house that I have received a statement from John Lewis which says I have 20 pounds credit on my account. Does that help?

I now have to work out a) what the hell the account number was (paperwork is in a box somewhere whilst they have renovations done) and b) how I get that 20 pound transferred to her. Actually have a letter somewhere from them confirming closure of the account dated September 05.

She also told me she had just received a letter from ERNIE with cheque attached for 25 pounds as my recent winnings. Bit odd, I've not had any premium bonds since I cashed them all in in 1982. She's sending that over so I can puzzle over it for a while.

That's not the sort of thing you wanted to hear about though, is it?

If anyone else fancies giving me random amounts of money, I will accept gratefully.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:28 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I still owe virgin mobile 100 quid which they will never see,but i like the idea of owing money to a virgin
Old Aug 24th 2010, 2:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
I still owe virgin mobile 100 quid which they will never see,but i like the idea of owing money to a virgin
So you could end up being chased by (a) Virgin?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 8:32 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So you could end up being chased by (a) Virgin?
Nothing unusual
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Nothing unusual
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

i have about 2.5k with Egg and about 3k with Virgin credit card, thinking of paying it for a few months and then cancel the DD from my hsbc account...
but not sure if i could get away with it.
what to you guys think ? dont want it to bite me on my arse in a few years time!
Old Aug 24th 2010, 10:00 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shot81
i have about 2.5k with Egg and about 3k with Virgin credit card, thinking of paying it for a few months and then cancel the DD from my hsbc account...
what to you guys think ? dont want it to bite me on my arse in a few years time!
They'll come looking for you for that much. Depends how long you'll put up with the debt collectors for!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

stellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nicestellaman is just really nice

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
They'll come looking for you for that much. Depends how long you'll put up with the debt collectors for!

They will come looking???? Hahahahaha. Yeah right then... Give it 12 months with a few "we are sending the lads round to collect" letters and it will be written off !!

Not that I left any notable debt (£60) to vodafone but I know people that have left 5k+
Old Aug 25th 2010, 12:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shot81
I don't agree with this but I reckon you would get away with it.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by stellaman
They will come looking???? Hahahahaha. Yeah right then... Give it 12 months with a few "we are sending the lads round to collect" letters and it will be written off !!

Not that I left any notable debt (£60) to vodafone but I know people that have left 5k+
I know exactly what happens because it happened to me rather than someone I know. Not only does the debt get sold on again and again until you get rung by an Indian company who are usually the last buyers, debt collection lasts for well over two years depending on how many companies buy the debt on. It really depends on how long you can last for and whether you want the hassle.
Debt collectors from the UK try, then it gets sold on to your country of residence, then after your country, India usually if it looks worthwhile to them.
So 'Hahahahaha. ' back atcha.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:07 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a couple who left behind ten grand of bank debt. They also bought loads of stuff (3 piece, plasma's, PC's) on the never never, and 4 x new mobile phones before they left.

They've been here 3 years now and not heard a peep!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:12 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
I know a couple who left behind ten grand of bank debt. They also bought loads of stuff (3 piece, plasma's, PC's) on the never never, and 4 x new mobile phones before they left.

The only problem with that is that they could be done for fraud, as they took the the items with no intention of paying the money back. Just leaving debt is not a crime in itself, IF you intended to pay it back when you actually borrowed it!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by PaulandNic

Depends on your surname and how easy it is to locate you through that.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 1:17 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kar-kier
The only problem with that is that they could be done for fraud, as they took the the items with no intention of paying the money back. Just leaving debt is not a crime in itself, IF you intended to pay it back when you actually borrowed it!
Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Depends on your surname and how easy it is to locate you through that.
Oh I agree, they do too, but they was told they'd NEVER be caught up with so went with it.

Their surname is as uncommon as god knows what, but yeah as I say they've not been contacted since arriving.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.