Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Least and favourite parts of Australian [or Austrian] Lifestyle.

Least and favourite parts of Australian [or Austrian] Lifestyle.

Old Aug 11th 2014, 9:52 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Least and favourite parts of Australian [or Austrian] Lifestyle.

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Be pretty bloody dull if you asked someone what they thought and when they told you, you just walked away without commentating. Be like having a conversation with my husband at the moment.
Sounds like we're similarly afflicted at the moment, MP. Scouse has been doing a mad clean out of every room of the house, because he doesn't want to leave everything until 'the last minute'. All I seem to hear from him lately is 'do you know anyone who would want this?' and 'keep your eye out for skip bins on your travels, so I can get rid of <insert anything from a fully working hi-fi system to a never used spa foot bath>.

Quite apart from the fact that the skip bins he sneaks stuff into in the middle of the night aren't his, we're probably not moving for 2 years!
Old Aug 11th 2014, 9:57 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

i hate having to wake up to 5-Celsius mornings in winter
Old Aug 11th 2014, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I haven't done Austria so I will bow to your knowledge. I do like the shear size of the French fields. What resorts in Austria do you recommend?

I think it was the boutique resorts of Switzerland that put me off, perhaps the more expensive, and exclusive? corner of the market.
St Anton and Ischgl are the 2 I do. Flying into Innsbruck you are spoilt for choice. Come out of the airport, go left or right, up or down. Flight is an hour and a bit from London. About 6 hours door to door. The Swiss expense bit is history. I think you will find France more expensive especially for food and most importantly, booze.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 10:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
St Anton and Ischgl are the 2 I do. Flying into Innsbruck you are spoilt for choice. Come out of the airport, go left or right, up or down. Flight is an hour and a bit from London. About 6 hours door to door. The Swiss expense bit is history. I think you will find France more expensive especially for food and most importantly, booze.
We 'do' Austria in summer (the off season!) and have kept returning to a place called Ellmau in the Tirol but have also stayed at St Wolfgang in Salburgerland. Ellmau is a very popular ski resort (Ski Welt area) and is close to Kitzbuhel. If anyone queries what's this got to do with Australian lifestyle I've misread it as Austrian.

Here's some Ellmau photos:

Old Aug 11th 2014, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Too right. Can't fault Austria in summer. Stayed for a week in Sankt Johann im Pongau a few years back. Swimming lakes, bike rides, walking in the mountains, drives to glaciers, and my favourite ...... cow tipping.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Now Ischgl looks great! I still don't think you have the travel you can do in the 3 resorts. I also gather that the French resorts might have changed a lot since I did them. No idea about expense now - but back in the 90s/000s I felt that you got less for your money.

I've heard of the aprez-ski in Austria but when I have gone the aprez-ski is the company I go with.

As for 6 hours door to door - this sort of comes back to Buzzie's post - that although the flight is not much - door to door it comes in at the driving distances from Melbourne. Still, you will be more fatigued in Australia if you have done most of the driving. I think I would rather fly.

I remember one year when I was living in Europe, I got the train down to the Three Vallies and we slept overnight. A nice thing to do.

Originally Posted by OzTennis
We 'do' Austria in summer (the off season!) and have kept returning to a place called Ellmau in the Tirol but have also stayed at St Wolfgang in Salburgerland. Ellmau is a very popular ski resort (Ski Welt area) and is close to Kitzbuhel. If anyone queries what's this got to do with Australian lifestyle I've misread it as Austrian.

Here's some Ellmau photos:

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...psd8fa9ea9.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1f968800.jpg
Nice. I love the Alpine scenery. My brother actually scoffs a bit at the mountains in the UK. He's spoilt in the Alps.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
i hate having to wake up to 5-Celsius mornings in winter
Oh, I love that! But only on days I'm not working and can hang around for a few hours in my pjs and ugg boots, before braving the shower.

I am not a summer person.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Now Ischgl looks great! I still don't think you have the travel you can do in the 3 resorts. I also gather that the French resorts might have changed a lot since I did them. No idea about expense now - but back in the 90s/000s I felt that you got less for your money.

I've heard of the aprez-ski in Austria but when I have gone the aprez-ski is the company I go with.

As for 6 hours door to door - this sort of comes back to Buzzie's post - that although the flight is not much - door to door it comes in at the driving distances from Melbourne. Still, you will be more fatigued in Australia if you have done most of the driving. I think I would rather fly.

I remember one year when I was living in Europe, I got the train down to the Three Vallies and we slept overnight. A nice thing to do.

Nice. I love the Alpine scenery. My brother actually scoffs a bit at the mountains in the UK. He's spoilt in the Alps.
Ischgl is the best. It used to be unknown to Brits, but its now getting airplay. The apres ski in Ischgl is the greatest. Getting a bit old now, and hit the wall about 9pm, which is a good thing so I can get up and go skiing early. Ski wise it's awesome. You can ski down into Switzerland, pick up a bit of duty free and come back. The infrastructure is superb. They have a mega closing party every year. This year Robbie Williams played.

I used to nip down to Switzerland on a Friday night and come back Sunday. Lots of airline options fly from any London airport to Zurich, get in hire car, drive for 45 minutes, you could be in Engelberg or Andermatt. Last lifts Sunday, a couple of beers, and be back in Zurich for the 9pm back to London. You make up an hour due to the time difference. Easy Peasy.

Old Aug 11th 2014, 11:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful Love the Tirol
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:15 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I will be in the Swiss alps this weekend
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

we spent our honeymoon here 23 years ago, hope it's not changed too much it was bloody loverly
Attached Thumbnails Least and favourite parts of Australian [or Austrian] Lifestyle.-saalbach-hinterglemm.jpg  
Old Aug 11th 2014, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
we spent our honeymoon here 23 years ago, hope it's not changed too much it was bloody loverly
Saalbach-Hinterglemm is on our short list of other places to visit in Austria.

The alpine walks, the food, the (tennis) clay courts, the chocolate box views etc are out of this world. As the T-shirts say Austria, the one without the kangaroos. We've been a few times to Switzerland, France and Bavaria but don't like it quite as much.
Old Aug 11th 2014, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Great minds think a like. I spent a week of my honeymoon in the Austrian alps.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just you?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 7:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just you?
haha, we'll be popping back there for a weekend when we go back to the UK next year, shhhhh don't tell her indoors it's a surprise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.