Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Learning to fly a plane

Wikiposts

Learning to fly a plane

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:43 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to fly a plane

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
And it doesn't take skill to fly in a powered aircraft? Sure you need to look out for thermals and granted there is only one chance of landing but there is so much more going on in a powered aircraft. There are the engine(s) and systems that need to be constantly monitored not to mention they have higher speeds. If there is an engine failure the aircraft quickly turns into a glider in which case there is also only one chance of landing with no going around.

Aerobatics is better in a powered aircraft. You can do navigational exercises in a powered aircraft. Try flying 500nm cross country in a glider, hopping from thermal to thermal... Try flying your mates away to a remote destination for the weekend in a glider...

Also you are not at the mercy of the weather as much as a glider. Glider pilots are fair weather pilots and need a powered aircraft just to get them in the air.
Ive actually done 750km in a glider. I fly powered as well and there is just not the same level of enjoyment.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 6:49 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Ive actually done 750km in a glider. I fly powered as well and there is just not the same level of enjoyment.
Each to their own. I've always preferred to have the engine there, makes me feel more secure in some way, but I also know guys who fly powered aircraft for a living and for fun, who say they will always love gliding the most.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
750 km is about 400 nm. That's pretty good in a glider, you must have had very favourable weather.

Each to their own. I prefer aerobatics in a Pitts. A glider doesn't even come close.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I also know guys who fly powered aircraft for a living and for fun, who say they will always love gliding the most.
Same here. Gliding tends to appeal to the purists. A few of the guys I did my CPL training with got into gliding as they believed it would make them a better pilot.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. Gliding tends to appeal to the purists. A few of the guys I did my CPL training with got into gliding as they believed it would make them a better pilot.
Yeah thats what some of the guys I knew said - taught them more all round skills when they were heding for the commercial world. Me, I was happy just to do it for fun, and the gliding idea never really appealed.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah thats what some of the guys I knew said - taught them more all round skills when they were heding for the commercial world. Me, I was happy just to do it for fun, and the gliding idea never really appealed.
I'm not averse to gliding and I wouldn't mind giving it a go but I've always thought of it as a bit tame. A bit like riding a bicycle versus a motorcycle.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 3:30 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not averse to gliding and I wouldn't mind giving it a go but I've always thought of it as a bit tame. A bit like riding a bicycle versus a motorcycle.
Do give it a "go" - you are much more attuned to the weather than in a powered aircraft. Every time I look up on a thermally sky here I feel like trying it again.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:33 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Do give it a "go" - you are much more attuned to the weather than in a powered aircraft. Every time I look up on a thermally sky here I feel like trying it again.

I was flying in the Australian Championships and there were 45 other gliders in the same thermal.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Wol
Don't try. Do!

Yes, fully aware that you need to be attuned to the weather as far as spotting thermals etc. Doesn't mean that a pilot of a powered aircraft doesn't need to be attuned to the weather either.
Old Jan 24th 2011, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll stick to the plane though as there probably aren't many job opportunities with Jetstar for glider flights between Sydney and Melbourne!!
Old Jan 24th 2011, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tartankoala
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll stick to the plane though as there probably aren't many job opportunities with Jetstar for glider flights between Sydney and Melbourne!!
There's not many job opportunities for powered aircraft pilots with Jetstar in Australia either. They've all been shipped to Singapore to avoid Aussie salaries.