Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Learning to fly a plane

Wikiposts

Learning to fly a plane

Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Learning to fly a plane

I've always wanted to learn to fly a plane and fancy doing one of those introductory flights, that most flying schools offer, for my birthday this year. Just as a taster to see if I have the stomach for taking it further!

Has anyone done one of these flights before? Are they worthwhile and what company would you recommend to use or avoid? I'd be looking at a company based in the Sydney area.
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 4:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Learning to fly a plane

Originally Posted by tartankoala
I've always wanted to learn to fly a plane and fancy doing one of those introductory flights, that most flying schools offer, for my birthday this year. Just as a taster to see if I have the stomach for taking it further!

Has anyone done one of these flights before? Are they worthwhile and what company would you recommend to use or avoid? I'd be looking at a company based in the Sydney area.
Do it!!!!

Can't recommend a flight school as all my flying was back home, but I can recommend that you give it a go. One of the best things I ever did; went on to get a loan, and eventually a pilot's licence and never had any regrets about either the hard work or the expense. Well worth it - I'll never forget the feeling of that first solo flight
Old Jan 22nd 2011, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Do it!!!!

Can't recommend a flight school as all my flying was back home, but I can recommend that you give it a go. One of the best things I ever did; went on to get a loan, and eventually a pilot's licence and never had any regrets about either the hard work or the expense. Well worth it - I'll never forget the feeling of that first solo flight
Ditto!

Flying is the best thing since sliced bread. I've been flying since I was 18. You'll love it and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than in the UK.

If you have the nerve, try some aerobatics.

These have a good reputation:

Curtis Aviation at Camden
Sydney Flight Training centre at Bankstown
General Flying Services at Bankstown
Sydney Aerobatic School at Bankstown
Royal Newcastle Aeroclub at Rutherford
Whitworh Aviation at Bankstown
Schofields Aeroclub at Bankstown

Last edited by Deancm_MKII; Jan 22nd 2011 at 6:06 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:11 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Waaaaaaay more fun jumping out of the things
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:12 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Do it!!!!

So you really do fly around on that broomstick!
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:13 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
That's cause her bum is sooooooo large she has trouble walking
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:22 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
Started on Cessnas, just graduated to broomsticks later

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
That's cause her bum is sooooooo large she has trouble walking

Waaaaaaay more fun jumping out of the things
After your last comment if I ever get you up in a plane I'll be throwing you out of it
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:44 am
FREE TIBET

Ok who rattled the witch's cave
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:03 am
Home and Happy

Ok who rattled the witch's cave
8 hours at work where one of the guys had the TV on so loud on stuff like the Simpsons that you couldn't hear the phone ring, and he had the aircon off all day so it was hot and stuffy. And I'm sick but can't have time off

Now as long as you leave my enormous arse alone I promise not to chuck you out of a plane
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:11 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tartankoala

Have you considered gliding?

Much more fun than just starting a motor and pushing that (those) little lever(s) forward. You have to know where the lift is and find it before your altitude coincides with the terrain. And cheaper, too.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Have you considered gliding?

Much more fun than just starting a motor and pushing that (those) little lever(s) forward. You have to know where the lift is and find it before your altitude coincides with the terrain. And cheaper, too.
Rubbish. Gliding is what you do when you want to fly real aircraft but can't afford to. It has it's limitations.

It is cheaper though.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 11:46 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Rubbish. Gliding is what you do when you want to fly real aircraft but can't afford to. It has it's limitations.

It is cheaper though.
I can fly for longer in a glider than in a Cessna. It takes skill to fly in a glider and then there is the only 1 chance of landing, no going around.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
I can fly for longer in a glider than in a Cessna. It takes skill to fly in a glider and then there is the only 1 chance of landing, no going around.
And it doesn't take skill to fly in a powered aircraft? Sure you need to look out for thermals and granted there is only one chance of landing but there is so much more going on in a powered aircraft. There are the engine(s) and systems that need to be constantly monitored not to mention they have higher speeds. If there is an engine failure the aircraft quickly turns into a glider in which case there is also only one chance of landing with no going around.

Aerobatics is better in a powered aircraft. You can do navigational exercises in a powered aircraft. Try flying 500nm cross country in a glider, hopping from thermal to thermal... Try flying your mates away to a remote destination for the weekend in a glider...

Also you are not at the mercy of the weather as much as a glider. Glider pilots are fair weather pilots and need a powered aircraft just to get them in the air.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Ditto!

Flying is the best thing since sliced bread. I've been flying since I was 18. You'll love it and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than in the UK.

If you have the nerve, try some aerobatics.

These have a good reputation:

Curtis Aviation at Camden
Sydney Flight Training centre at Bankstown
General Flying Services at Bankstown
Sydney Aerobatic School at Bankstown
Royal Newcastle Aeroclub at Rutherford
Whitworh Aviation at Bankstown
Schofields Aeroclub at Bankstown
I did a trial flight with Curtis at Camden and they were very good. Just wish I had the money/time to take it further.
Old Jan 23rd 2011, 5:37 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Levitation is even cheaper.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.