Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

learning to drive in oz

learning to drive in oz

Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:04 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: learning to drive in oz

Originally Posted by nicopa
Don't forget that Australians are probably the worst drivers in the world and drive very slowly and dangerously.
The have 3 times the fatal accident rate of civilised countries.
I agree, every day when I watch the news there is a crash reported. The latest one today showed a car that was literally wrapped round a lampost.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wendy
UK (and a few other countries) licence holders just do a straight swap, they changed it all last year (or may be the year before, time's going so fast I can't keep up! )
Excellent! that is good news!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicopa
Don't forget that Australians are probably the worst drivers in the world and drive very slowly and dangerously.
The have 3 times the fatal accident rate of civilised countries.

According to statics there is one fatal crash per day where I now live, where I lived in the UK there were at least that per hour.

Can't speak for other parts of Oz, or the UK as I didn't live there so didn't really care.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

QUOTE=nicopa;5201932]Don't forget that Australians are probably the worst drivers in the world and drive very slowly and dangerously.
The have 3 times the fatal accident rate of civilised countries.[/QUOTE]

i was going to say something..but changed my mind
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf

i was going to say something..but changed my mind
Were you gonna say what I was....my you're a ray of sunshine aint ya!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Were you gonna say what I was....my you're a ray of sunshine aint ya!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys really making me want to learn to drive in oz but i could use all of it as an excuse to why i still haven't learnt to drive
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
thanks guys really making me want to learn to drive in oz but i could use all of it as an excuse to why i still haven't learnt to drive

It's good fun mate

I prefer it to learning in the UK, it's so much easier here
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

but i dont want to learn to drive

iam toooooooooooooooo old

i am being forced to by mr hitchcock and i dont like it
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

but i dont want to learn to drive

iam toooooooooooooooo old

i am being forced to by mr hitchcock and i dont like it

You will when you get here and you have to rely on your OH or the bus to go anywhere. I can't wait to get my licence, I'll be out all the time. That'll teach my other half - he's a boring old fart
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's good fun mate

I prefer it to learning in the UK, it's so much easier here
good to see some positivity!......fact is ..if you are moving to australia...you will *probably* be driving...best to look on the bright side and there are plenty.

i have not had anyone i know...die in a car crash....yes there have been a few minor accidents etc......but nothing fatal.

Bad accidents do happen....everywhere.....not just in Australia....not all Australian drivers..are bad..just like not all..UK Canadian or American drivers are bad.

I always found driving in Australia easy going....but i am not a fearful driver..my mother for instance would never drive in Sydney...hehehee......I have worked in Airport Transport....and have had to drive through all sorts of weather and road conditions through Sydney.....most drivers there are curteous...will let you in.....pass...etc.................................

..................good on ya aussie drivers

Now i am in Canada..i can say there are a few things here that Australia could benefit from..one in particular...is a overhead amber flashing light ..to warn that up ahead...the Lights are about to turn Red.....great road assistance!!!!.......
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
good to see some positivity!......fact is ..if you are moving to australia...you will *probably* be driving...best to look on the bright side and there are plenty.

i have not had anyone i know...die in a car crash....yes there have been a few minor accidents etc......but nothing fatal.

Bad accidents do happen....everywhere.....not just in Australia....not all Australian drivers..are bad..just like not all..UK Canadian or American drivers are bad.

I always found driving in Australia easy going....but i am not a fearful driver..my mother for instance would never drive in Sydney...hehehee......I have worked in Airport Transport....and have had to drive through all sorts of weather and road conditions through Sydney.....most drivers there are curteous...will let you in.....pass...etc.................................

..................good on ya aussie drivers

Now i am in Canada..i can say there are a few things here that Australia could benefit from..one in particular...is a overhead amber flashing light ..to warn that up ahead...the Lights are about to turn Red.....great road assistance!!!!.......
I think they need amber lights too.

Another thing is when the lights change and you're turning. If there's a crossing you have a green light, but the pedestrians are going across and you have to wait - in the UK you have a red light while they are crossing. That's a much better way IMO. I know my OH nearly got someone when he bought his car
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

You will when you get here and you have to rely on your OH or the bus to go anywhere. I can't wait to get my licence, I'll be out all the time. That'll teach my other half - he's a boring old fart
i do that in the uk so why cant i get a bus train etc in oz i dont need/want to drive

why does no one understand !?

crys in to her hankie
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

i do that in the uk so why cant i get a bus train etc in oz i dont need/want to drive

why does no one understand !?

crys in to her hankie

Cos it's hard work. To get to the best shoopping centre it's two buses, whereas in the car it's straight there, plus I don't have to lug all that shopping on the bus (or two buses)

If you want to go to the beach but your OH is at work, you have to catch one or two buses, again if you drive it's straight there.

When you take the kids to school in 40+ degrees and it's a 10 minute walk, by the time you get back you're burned to a crisp and can't walk for the rest of the day. In a car - no worries straight there
Old Aug 17th 2007, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Cos it's hard work. To get to the best shoopping centre it's two buses, whereas in the car it's straight there, plus I don't have to lug all that shopping on the bus (or two buses)

If you want to go to the beach but your OH is at work, you have to catch one or two buses, again if you drive it's straight there.

When you take the kids to school in 40+ degrees and it's a 10 minute walk, by the time you get back you're burned to a crisp and can't walk for the rest of the day. In a car - no worries straight there
i will learn i just dont want to

i did the online hazzard test the other night and i got 28/30 which i thought was very good seeing as i have never ever been behind a wheel of a car dont know what the /where break peddle is so i am feeliing quite smug i have to say

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.