Lazy English

Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all
Default Lazy English

Anybody see the programme tonight about Eastern European migrants working in England ("can`t come in today I`m not feeling well") Said the doley Englishman, I know it could have been all staged just for the sake of entertainment but it makes you think.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lazy English

Originally Posted by Ianevs
Anybody see the programme tonight about Eastern European migrants working in England ("can`t come in today I`m not feeling well") Said the doley Englishman, I know it could have been all staged just for the sake of entertainment but it makes you think.
And your point is?

Sounds to me like a statement made by people the world over when they don't feel like going to work! Nothing particularly English about it
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ianevs
Other than perhaps sloppy punctuation, I can't see a great deal wrong with the above. No 'Booker Prize' nominee though I agree . . .
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:22 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It was a programme on the box last night called "The day the immigrants left"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...migrants_Left/

They trialed several long term unemployed people in typical Eastern European immigrant jobs. About 50% threw sickies and 50% of the remainder couldn't hack it. It seems that a lot of local people have lost the willingness to work since the late 90s.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:46 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
It was a programme on the box last night called "The day the immigrants left"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...migrants_Left/

They trialed several long term unemployed people in typical Eastern European immigrant jobs. About 50% threw sickies and 50% of the remainder couldn't hack it. It seems that a lot of local people have lost the willingness to work since the late 90s.
I lost the willingness to work in the late 80's. I should have retired at 65, my own fault
Old Feb 25th 2010, 7:10 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
I lost the willingness to work in the late 80's. I should have retired at 65, my own fault
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:11 am
CEM
BE Enthusiast

CEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud ofCEM has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And your point is?

Sounds to me like a statement made by people the world over when they don't feel like going to work! Nothing particularly English about it

I think the point was that all these locals were moaning about the Eastern Europeans coming over and 'taking all our jobs'. However, when they were given the opportunity to try out the jobs, most just couldn't, or wouldn't cope with the demands -waitering, potato packing and asparagus picking. The lad who couldn't go in because he wasn't feeling so good had actually sent a text at midnight the night before he was due to go into work saying, "I've just got in and I'm not feeling so well, so I won't be in tomorrow." Kind of begs the question why he'd just got in and from where. I suppose at least he let them know - the others just didn't turn up!!

I did feel sorry for one young lad who tried being a waiter in an Indian restaurant. He was given half a days training then was left to it, which wasn't very fair. I think the point the producers were trying to make with that one was that the govt is trying to limit immigration from outside Europe, but that we need proper Indian people working in Indian restaurants because British people can't do it, which is obviously rubbish, providing decent training is given. That poor lad didn't know how to spell most of the orders he was expected to take and why should he?

It was a predictable programme, but slightly worrying how many people (50% of the locals chosen) would rather find an excuse not to work. Not a peculiarly English thing though, you're right, except that the Eastern Europeans seemed to turn up on time, work really hard and efficiently and didn't moan about their lot.

Last edited by CEM; Feb 25th 2010 at 9:14 am.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:14 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CEM
It was a predictable programme, but slightly worrying how many people (50% of the locals chosen) would rather find an excuse not to work. Not a peculiarly English thing though, you're right, except that the Eastern Europeans seemed to turn up on time, work really hard and efficiently and didn't moan about their lot.
Obviously I haven't seen the programme - but producers of programmes like this are going to pick the people who appear according to their own criteria.

I mean - Wife Swap wouldn't be very interesting if they didn't pick people with polar opposite views and attitudes to life, love and children. Similarly, the producers of the programme mentioned wouldn't pick people who they believed WOULD turn up and give their all!
Old Feb 26th 2010, 8:32 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
....... Similarly, the producers of the programme mentioned wouldn't pick people who they believed WOULD turn up and give their all!
Exactly. It wouldn't give them the same story.

Lazyness is not unique to the English.