Lawnmowers

Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:09 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lawnmowers

Anyone out there know anything about Lawnmowers? I`ve just managed to kill my second electric mower in the space of 2 years - both went bang, both had smoke coming out of them. The one I had in UK lasted for years no probs but Im thinking the Aussie grass may be too much for the electric types (I have couch grass/ wintergreen I think).
So with the petrol mowers what`s the best type? What does it mean when it talks about 2 stroke etc do I just go to the local garage for fuel or does it need special stuff??
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lawnmowers

I am looking for one as well.
A bit over a year and a half ago got a 4 stroke Talon cut or mulch.
Died a few months ago, oil and smoke started coming out from air intake.

Spoke to the bloke in Bunnings and was told that as my lawn is on a steep slope I should go for a 2 stroke motor.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:47 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you fuel up with unleaded normally. But the mower people will be able to tell you if there is anything interesting you need to know. I normally just keep 20ltrs in the garage and that lasts months and months.

I blew our UK electric lawnmower up in about 4 weeks I recall. Having now gone to petrol, its a lot quicker, easier and frankly better. My mowers gone a good year now and not missed a beat, and my grass is basically shitty and nasty stuff.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:01 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yeah you fuel up with unleaded normally. But the mower people will be able to tell you if there is anything interesting you need to know. I normally just keep 20ltrs in the garage and that lasts months and months.

I blew our UK electric lawnmower up in about 4 weeks I recall. Having now gone to petrol, its a lot quicker, easier and frankly better. My mowers gone a good year now and not missed a beat, and my grass is basically shitty and nasty stuff.
We bought a mid-range one from Bunnings about a year ago and it's fine for our little bit of lawn. We just fill it with unleaded petrol and make sure the oil is topped up. OH cleans the blades and underside after each use so it stays in good condition.

Our neighbours have a $100 electric one from Bunnings that they've been using for 3 years and it works great. Ours was I think $350 ish and is petrol.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:04 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion

Two stroke you need to make an oil and petrol mix, makes them a bit smokey, with 4 stroke a separate oil circuit is built on.

Two strokes are usually less powerful, which means that the cutting blades will be lighter and smaller, and the engine will run faster since it has to do twice the work to get the same rotation as a four stroke. But they are cheaper and are fine if your grass is pretty light and you have a small lawn.

If your lawn is much bigger than a couple of hundred square metres you should get a four stroke, since you'll get bigger cutting heads which will make the job faster.

If your lawn is much bigger than an acre I'd be looking at a ride on.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:05 am
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys -I`ve seen one in Bunnings for about $350 - a Victa (I think) but wasn`t sure if it would be worth it or not.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:07 am
Im a woomaaan

Originally Posted by Burbage
Two stroke you need to make an oil and petrol mix, makes them a bit smokey, with 4 stroke a separate oil circuit is built on.

Two strokes are usually less powerful, which means that the cutting blades will be lighter and smaller, and the engine will run faster since it has to do twice the work to get the same rotation as a four stroke. But they are cheaper and are fine if your grass is pretty light and you have a small lawn.

If your lawn is much bigger than a couple of hundred square metres you should get a four stroke, since you'll get bigger cutting heads which will make the job faster.

If your lawn is much bigger than an acre I'd be looking at a ride on.
Oh no I`d freak at the thought of having cut an acre of grass!!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
we have a petrol mower. But have to say its rubbish compared to the one we had back in the UK.

Anyone know why it keeps stalling or overheating? We cut the grass for a short time and then it stall and will not work unless we leave it for a say 15mins. Im on an estate not an acerage. The mower was bought new.
Looks like adequate petrol and oil.

We had a petrol mower in the UK and never experienced this problem and this was huge garden in farming area.
We are North of Perth so weather has been warm.

Any input
Gems
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
Thanks guys -I`ve seen one in Bunnings for about $350 - a Victa (I think) but wasn`t sure if it would be worth it or not.
Have a go at haggling.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future

I was about to buy an electric mower, saw on in Bunnings for approx $300. Does anyone know why they keep blowing up? I had an electric one in the UK for 5 years and never had a problem. Did not want to go the petrol route as I had one in the UK and it always broke down at the end of every season.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybie
I was about to buy an electric mower, saw on in Bunnings for approx $300. Does anyone know why they keep blowing up? I had an electric one in the UK for 5 years and never had a problem. Did not want to go the petrol route as I had one in the UK and it always broke down at the end of every season.
I've had one electric mower here and, unless you've got a tiny garden, I really wouldn't recommend them. Always getting choked with grass.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:58 am
ABCDiamond

We had a Victa Petrol 4 stroke, the one that doesn't need oil added to the petrol mix.. (had enough with that in my BSA Bantam)

But, after some years it began to give problems, so I eventually persuaded my wife to get a good old electric one, like I had in the UK...

Biggest mistake ever..... Now I have to find a way to go back to petrol, without losing face.....

Maybe I'll just get the old one fixed after all.... and pretend it fixed itself...

My next one will have a mulcher in built, to reduce the space the grass takes up, and a large and 'secure fitting' grass catcher.

Am also tempted by the more expensive self propelled one, for about $650 at Bunnings.

Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

Can anybody confirm what I was told in the shop that 4 stroke motors are not good if your lawn is on a steep slope?

Noticed a warning sticker on the side of the failed mover stating allowed angle less than16.7%.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:40 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mipik
Can anybody confirm what I was told in the shop that 4 stroke motors are not good if your lawn is on a steep slope?

Noticed a warning sticker on the side of the failed mover stating allowed angle less than16.7%.
Would make sense, a 4 stroke will have an oil sump and a pick up pipe, If its on a steep slope the pick up pipe could be out of the oil. Other 4 stroke engines would get around this with a dry sump setup but not sure they are available for mowers?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 4:45 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

no idea what type ours is but i know it was a cheapy bunnings one and we've been using it for nearly four years and still going strong

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.