Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Launceston, Tasmania

Launceston, Tasmania

Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Launceston, Tasmania

Ok, so just got back from a very enjoyable family winter break staying in Launceston northern Tasmania.

My wife has family in the Hobart area but had never been up this way before. We wanted a quick easy break and weren't sure where to go so just looked online at the flight deals and Launceston was about as cheap as it gets for a direct flight from Sydney.

Things didn't start so well as Launceston airport was fog bound on arrival. The plane tried to make a landing but aborted at the last second, we weren't far from the ground at all We ended up circling the airport for half an hour and looked like we were going to be diverted to Melbourne only for the fog to lift at the last moment and let us in.

It was **** cold and we had to rug up but we all ended up loving being in / around Launceston and wondered why we had been before! The setting on two rivers and surrounded by mountains is beautiful. And so many old period homes with amazing views that did remind me of Cornwall. Cataract Gorge is like being in the wild but right in the city.

There are the usual few tatty streets with empty shops that you get in all regional Australia but overall the city seems looked after and it has interesting shops. Found a great chocolate shop for hot chocolate. The locals seemed very friendly also. We must have walked freaking miles around the suburbs!

Anyway this has left us thinking we would love to move there. I don't think I have seen anyone post on here from Launceston. The biggest issue will always be jobs. Just on Tuesday a car parts factory closed down there with the loss of 200 jobs, unemployment is very high. But for me there is a University there which is the sector I work in so there is a chance.

Already looking in to a summer break in a cottage just up the Tamar valley from Launceston
Old Jul 4th 2014, 6:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Launceston, Tasmania

I'm a 'southerner', preferring Hobart (Tassie has a huge north/south divide!) but I'd go to Launceston if there was work there. The island is small enough so it doesn't really matter where you are based as long as you can travel.
Launceston is tattier and more rundown than Hobart but......its still Tassie, there are some lovely spots along the north coast, its close to Melbourne, you just need that job......
Old Jul 4th 2014, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Got a close workmate that has bought his retirement home in Invermay in Launceston, he rents it out in Positive gearing mode straight from the outset.

I'm definitely going to look at Launceston as a very strong contender for our retirement years.... One thing that gets overlooked by mainlanders, is both Launceston and Hobart offer more, in amenities and choices than almost any other provencial city in any state on the Mainland... Definitely better than any provencial town in Victoria.

My workmate is checking out bargains for me... I may take the purchase leap If I can positively gear as well.

Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

And the fantastic Penny Royal at the bottom of Cataract Gorge, cheap and family friendly - Launceston is lovely.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

We are seriously looking in to homes in Evandale south of Launceston towards the airport, seems to have the kind of homes we are looking for. Only about 18km's out of Launceston.

We discussed today also buying a house out Evandale way now whilst we are still in Sydney as we could almost afford what we want out right with very little mortgage!

We walked around Invermay and had a chat to a local about this area. Invermay was wiped out in a massive flood in the late 20's, it is built on the flood plain. They are just completing a big flood defense scheme now. Looks a nice enough area but not for us.

Our areas would be Trevallyn (other side of the Tamar from Launceston on the hill), West Launceston or the Evandale area.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kim67
And the fantastic Penny Royal at the bottom of Cataract Gorge, cheap and family friendly - Launceston is lovely.
Yes, we took a look at this, very unusual to see houses in what looks like a quary! Very English looking around that area what with the windmill and the old stone built store houses.

The Stillwater cafe was very nice also.

Was nice to see where my grandfathers uncle moved to also, he had a store on the main street in Launceston until he died in the 40's, we went and found his grave and left him some flowers.

Last edited by Jon77; Jul 4th 2014 at 9:36 am.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
We are seriously looking in to homes in Evandale south of Launceston towards the airport, seems to have the kind of homes we are looking for. Only about 18km's out of Launceston.

We discussed today also buying a house out Evandale way now whilst we are still in Sydney as we could almost afford what we want out right with very little mortgage!

We walked around Invermay and had a chat to a local about this area. Invermay was wiped out in a massive flood in the late 20's, it is built on the flood plain. They are just completing a big flood defense scheme now. Looks a nice enough area but not for us.

Our areas would be Trevallyn (other side of the Tamar from Launceston on the hill), West Launceston or the Evandale area.

my brother lives in Trevallyn and loves it. It's so convenient to everywhere really, 10 minute walk to cataract gorge and 15 minute walk into town.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sassie
my brother lives in Trevallyn and loves it. It's so convenient to everywhere really, 10 minute walk to cataract gorge and 15 minute walk into town.
Cool I went off the tourist track with my son and did a hike around Trevallyn and was really impressed, had a really good vibe.

I really believe that areas around Launceston are some of the best kept secrets in Australia.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
Cool I went off the tourist track with my son and did a hike around Trevallyn and was really impressed, had a really good vibe.

I really believe that areas around Launceston are some of the best kept secrets in Australia.

Took me long enough to figure out the whole of Tassie is the stand out place in Aus. It gets a bad rap from Aussies as a whole, lots of negative comments about the people being backwards, nothing to do there, sleepy, etc etc. From my perspective none of that was true. I guess they negativity about the cooler weather is true, but in some ways, especially at the height of heatwaves thats a bonus. Plus the cheaper housing means more free money to do what you want to escape the winter... if you feel that way.

I reckon the world will wake up one day and figure out how good it really is, therefore it's a fantastic long term investment as well.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 5th 2014 at 10:26 pm.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Took me long enough to figure out the whole of Tassie is the stand out place in Aus. It gets a bad rap from Aussies as a whole, lots of negative comments about the people being backwards, nothing to do there, sleepy, etc etc. From my perspective none of that was true. I guess they negativity about the cooler weather is true, but in some ways, especially at the height of heatwaves thats a bonus. Plus the cheaper housing means more free money to do what you want to escape the winter... if you feel that way.

I reckon the world will wake up one day and figure out how good it really is, therefore it's a fantastic long term investment as well.
One thing that did surprise me was when I was sat in a cafe having an afternoon coffee and a tour bus pulled up and a load of Asians got off. They walked up and down the street and a group stood at the window of the Estate Agent over the road and had a good look. I would say the majority of the other tourists there at the same time as us were Chinese.

Just been looking at a house in Evandale (period place built in the 1850's) with workshop out the back and some land for $199,000!!!!!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute

I hope not-we like it just as it is!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
I reckon the boom will come to Tas when the Aus population hits 30 Million. They'll be enough people in the kind of population that wont be phased by the perceived cooler weather.

I say perceived, because since I've been looking closely at Tasmania, I've realised that in fact Launceston and Hobart have higher night time winter temps than most of provencial Victoria.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ianandhelena
Yep, we don't want the place over-run, keep it peaceful!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the boom will come to Tas when the Aus population hits 30 Million. They'll be enough people in the kind of population that wont be phased by the perceived cooler weather.

I say perceived, because since I've been looking closely at Tasmania, I've realised that in fact Launceston and Hobart have higher night time winter temps than most of provencial Victoria.
A lot of Aussies would love to move to Tassie, the problem is employment. I know a few that have sold up on the mainland, moved to Tassie and bought something with more of a bang for their buck, then not been able to remain gainfully employed and find it difficult to sell up again to move back. They become all bitter and twisted and end up hating the place.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 1:42 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
A lot of Aussies would love to move to Tassie, the problem is employment. I know a few that have sold up on the mainland, moved to Tassie and bought something with more of a bang for their buck, then not been able to remain gainfully employed and find it difficult to sell up again to move back. They become all bitter and twisted and end up hating the place.
A great place to retire or if you are financially independent

If not forget about it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.