Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Last weekend in the UK - what would you do?

Old Jul 11th 2008, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Last weekend in the UK - what would you do?

This is my last weekend in the UK as we emigrate on Monday

Apart from visiting friends and relatives, what would you or did you spend your last weekend doing?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 10:04 pm
Account Closed

Nick Gill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Last weekend in the UK - what would you do?

Originally Posted by tartankoala

Apart from visiting friends and relatives, what would you or did you spend your last weekend doing?
I havent gone yet and wont be for a long time yet and I have no idea what I would do either but I just wanted to say whatever you choose to do ENJOY IT
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

wednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant future

Remember why you'r emigrating.
Take plenty of photos.
Have fun.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:34 pm
Account Closed

rachael88 is an unknown quantity at this point

take a picture of all the most memorable places, places youve had such great times, even if its on a high street, then everytime you look at them youll remember all the good times.

Sounds soppy, but thats what i would do
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

wednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant futurewednesfield wolf has a brilliant future

By the way once you get to Oz, you won't have time to look at the photos. You'll be amazed at all the new places you'll be visiting. And reralise instantly why you emigrated in the first place.

Oh and it's bloody freezing so don't forget to wear a coat???!!!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Poppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond reputePoppett44 has a reputation beyond repute

Eat as much Indian and Chinese food as is humanly possible as it will be a long time before you get another decent one of either

Tell your nearest and dearest how much you love them and visit somewhere you've always wanted to go!

Good luck
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:56 am
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute

If I were there now I would spend my last weekend at lords watching the saffa`s getting caned!
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:43 am
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

if youre a size11 shoe or above get a decent few pairs of shoes and trainers, i had a good drink with the bhoys and emptied the top shelf, twice i think
Have a safe journey
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Have a good Indian curry for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and hopefully you wont be able to face eating it ever again !!!!

Seriously , have fun !!

Nicky
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I would visit somewhere that I have always wanted to go!

Enjoy yourself whatever you do & good luck for Monday
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really niceTheDangerousQuietOne is just really nice

Hit all your favorite pubs as it'll be a while before you see them again....
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:51 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Being from Cornwall I would do the following in order:
  1. Go an play on the enourmous beaches with my children and take in the varied sights of the sandy beaches, huge cliffs and pounding seas. All the beaches around here (Victoria at least) as all a little bland compared to Cornwall.
  2. Have Sunday lunch at an old English Pub.
  3. Visit a Castle, lay on the grass in the courtyard and soak up the . It feels like there is no history here (even the ancient history they have borrowed from the aboriginal Australian is a little "basic").
  4. Find a nice victorian tea room in the grounds of a old country estate and have a real Cornish Cream Tea. They have no concept of that passes for Cream here and their "Clotted Cream" (yes they try) looks like whale sperm and tastes like the a six year old mixed all the tubes of their chemistry set together, just to see what would happen.
  5. Walk home in the pissing torrential rain, rain so hard it would make your legs shake. The rain here is a little "wimpy".
  6. Go out for dinner at a really decent UK Curry House (yes we have them in Cornwall, they're just a little more sofisticated than the long trough with seats you get up North). We all know they are about as authentic Indian as wooden Sheep but God will you miss that arse blending heat when you get here. The food here is to quote a local Indian lady whos run a restaurant "cooked for the bland local palette". The good news is that if you get to know them you can get them to spice it up a tad (OK a lot), just remember to ask.
  7. Take a trip to London on the sleeper train. Farting violently after the curry.
  8. Spend the day walking around London visiting the things I used to love about the city. Buckingham Palace, St James Park, Hyde Park, Green Park, The Mall, Trafalgar Sq, Leicster Square, Piccidilily Circus, Hamleys, Regents Park, etc. Then after the nostalga has worn off realise that you haven't heard an English accent (or Cornish for that matter) since you arrived and generally what a shat-hole it has become.
  9. Take the long, insanely expensive, train journey home with sullen and stroppy staff. Stopping halfway to get a bus for an hour due to the never ending track works which seem to occure fortnightly, arriving home six hours later drunk from the weak piss beer on the train at £3 a can.
  10. Slump into bed with the smell of a the sea and noise of the roaring waves down below feeling that there MUST be something better than this and dream sweet dreams of Cornwall somehow being attached to Australia during the night.
I can but dream...

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 12th 2008 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Write down all your reasons for leaving (good and bad) and keep it somewhere safe. This may save you some money if you start to romanticise about what you left behind. It could also stop you turning into a whinging Pom but that is often a personal decision