Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Last UK Holiday - idea's on where we should go?

Wikiposts

Last UK Holiday - idea's on where we should go?

Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:34 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Last UK Holiday - idea's on where we should go?

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Hi guys,

Just to say thanks for all the recommendations - some wonderful places that people have come up with and it's a shame we won't have time to visit them all before we leave.

I've done some research on the various options and we've decided on Cornwall. Been on the internet today and booked a lovely self-catering farm cottage on the outskirts of St Austell - nice and quiet, but within walking distance on the town and coastal-walks, so really looking forward to it.

If anyone knows the area and has some specific recommendations on local things to do, please let me know.

Cheers,

Nicky
Short drive to Fowey - definitely worth the visit. You have to park in the carpark at the top of the hill and either walk down or catch the little bus, but it's well worth it. It's a very 'boaty' area and there are some good restaurants to eat in overlooking the estuary with the yachts all bobbing about. Great chandlery there too - don't know why - I've always liked going in them. Crantock just west of Newquay is great - head up the 3058 and hang a left at the main roundabout just before Newquay itself. Crantock beach is lovely - you can get a little putt-putt ferry across the River Gannell if the tide's in which drops you on the headland above Newquay. Be sure to visit the Bowgie Inn in the evening and enjoy watching the sun go down over the beach - great food last time I was there too. If you fancy a bit of exercise, drive up to Wadebridge and hire a couple of bikes and head out along the Camel Trail. Still on the north coast, you can book a few sailing lessons at one of the many schools in Rock (a ferry ride over the estuary from Padstow). You should, of course, check out Eden - bought I wouldn't bother with Lands End - horrendously expensive and singularly crap amusement park there these days. Truro's well worth a visit - some excellent shops there and good eateries.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

mad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to beholdmad.chef is a splendid one to behold
Wink Re: Last UK Holiday - idea's on where we should go?

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Hi there,

Anyone got any suggestions of places or area's in the UK that we should see before we leave for Oz?

We're planning to go away 'somewhere' in the UK for a 5 day break at the end of November, just before we fly out to Sydney.

We've 'done' the Lakes, North Yorkshire, Northumberland, North and West Scotland, and we'd quite like to go somewhere that we've not yet been, like maybe the North Wales coast or somewhere in Cornwall.

Don't want to stay in a town or city, and we're not particularly looking to do anything more energetic than a couple of walks whilst we're away, but we're looking for peace and quiet, and beautiful countryside.

Any ideas?

Nicky
BUTLINS hahaah should be something you would like to mis or even an HAVEN BREAK
good look
Dave
Old Sep 15th 2006, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

kaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to allkaylee is a name known to all

I agree Cornwall has got to be a must. Lands End when you get thru all the amusement park bit is spectacular, but so is the Lizard. St Just in Roseland is pretty, Vereyan and the round houses where the devil can't hide Seasidey Looe where you cant buy the crab lines, hours of cheap enterainment. St Austell is a good choice to stay. hope you have a brilliant holiday My dad used to live in Looe.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=kaylee]I agree Cornwall has got to be a must.
H i check out the Lost Gardens Of Heligan near Mevagissy Home of the Tremayne Family the gardens were left unattended and forgotten when most of the gardeners were called up to fight in the first world war sadly most never returned but the gardens were rediscovered by accident in the 1980s and gradually restored check out the walled gardens and the lost valley sorry to sound like a tourist brochure enjoy your vacation