Wikiposts

Laptop v Desktops

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Laptop v Desktops

Space restricitions are making me revisit the idea of getting myself a Laptop. My main problem with Laptops these days are simply the Keyboard and Mouse. I hate laptop Keyboards. Got to admit the Apple keyboard and the way the touchboard works seems to be a pretty good system. However IMO nothing beats a proper mouse.

I just wondered if anyone on here, finds laptop touchpads preferrable to a Mouse.... or what their solution is. ? I've got a wireless keyboard and mouse plugged into this Samsung laptop at present and It's great working with this now. However whichLaptop has the best Keyboard and Touchpad in your opinion. ? Is there anyone that is totally comfortable using a Laptops inputs ?

BTW I dont mind the fact that the numeric part is missing of a laptop keyboard, its more the fact that the keyboard seems to be in the middle of the base rather than at the edge, I realise your supposed to keep wrists up, but I've developed lazy habits over the years and prefer my wrists down.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:17 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Laptop v Desktops

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Space restricitions are making me revisit the idea of getting myself a Laptop. My main problem with Laptops these days are simply the Keyboard and Mouse. I hate laptop Keyboards. Got to admit the Apple keyboard and the way the touchboard works seems to be a pretty good system. However IMO nothing beats a proper mouse.

I just wondered if anyone on here, finds laptop touchpads preferrable to a Mouse.... or what their solution is. ? I've got a wireless keyboard and mouse plugged into this Samsung laptop at present and It's great working with this now. However whichLaptop has the best Keyboard and Touchpad in your opinion. ? Is there anyone that is totally comfortable using a Laptops inputs ?

BTW I dont mind the fact that the numeric part is missing of a laptop keyboard, its more the fact that the keyboard seems to be in the middle of the base rather than at the edge, I realise your supposed to keep wrists up, but I've developed lazy habits over the years and prefer my wrists down.
I have never understood the desire to replace a desktop with a laptop (apart from maybe space considerations). These 'desktop replacement' laptops you can get seem ridiculous to me - too big, too expensive etc.

Personally I would go for a good desktop (save your candy) and a cheap netbook for when you need portability.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

No such thing as a good laptop keyboard and touchpad. My solution is similar to what you are doing now. Laptop + keyboard + mouse. The benefits of the laptop though is that if you just want to surf the web, you can do it while watching TV sitting on the couch.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
No such thing as a good laptop keyboard and touchpad. My solution is similar to what you are doing now. Laptop + keyboard + mouse. The benefits of the laptop though is that if you just want to surf the web, you can do it while watching TV sitting on the couch.

The room where my sons and my Desktop are, now double as my Daughters bedroom

So I'm stuck for space dammit. She could be here a while, hence the Laptop solution. Yehp quite happing surfing this way.... finding it difficult with the external mouse on the couch though.... whats your solution for that one ?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:33 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I use my macbook with a monitor when its pretending to be a desktop as well as a wireless mouse and keyboard. The macbook just sits there with the lid closed and is connected with one lead to the monitor and its power cord.

Unplug it and take it with you when your going places or want to troop into the lounge to surf.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah agree with that. Laptop keyboards and touchpads are always worse than desktops.

If you're going to be using your computer for several hours a day to work or do serious writing then you need a desktop really. If you're just emailing/surfing, etc then I think just a laptop is fine myself.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:34 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

The room where my sons and my Desktop are, now double as my Daughters bedroom

So I'm stuck for space dammit. She could be here a while, hence the Laptop solution. Yehp quite happing surfing this way.... finding it difficult with the external mouse on the couch though.... whats your solution for that one ?
Have you tried the new apple touchpad with its many multitouch swipes you can do ? Zoom, pinch, rotate scroll, page browse backward and forward and so on. Sure, its not an actual physical mouse but its heaps better than a standard touchpad.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cool Re: Laptop v Desktops

Originally Posted by Centurion
Have you tried the new apple touchpad with its many multitouch swipes you can do ? Zoom, pinch, rotate scroll, page browse backward and forward and so on. Sure, its not an actual physical mouse but its heaps better than a standard touchpad.

Yes my youngest daughter has one as a requirement for her School. I'm about 70pct used to it now.... but can see it works a lot better, cant use it properly without giving it a bit of thought. I like the Apple Keyboard as well, feels more like a proper one. I do a lot of recreational typing.

Bit of an expensive solution as a web browser/torrent downloader though. This Samsung is suppsed to be my Wifes comp....handed down by the Apple replacement. Wifes not to happy with me on this Might find myself restricted in certain areas if I cramp her style.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:07 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I use a laptop exclusively at home, using its keyboard and touchpad. In the office I use a desktop or a docked laptop.

Using a mouse and a standalone keyboard is definitely easier. But getting used to a laptop isn't that hard, it just takes time. once you are used to it, you'll find that it is maybe 85% or 90% as good as the mouse/keyboard combo (in my opinion).
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:22 pm
ABCDiamond

I agree, with an extra bit ...

The benefits of the laptop though is that if you just want to surf the web, you can do it while sitting outside by the pool, with a 22" LCD Monitor on the garden table in front

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 8:53 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I agree, with an extra bit ...

The benefits of the laptop though is that if you just want to surf the web, you can do it while sitting outside by the pool, with a 22" LCD Monitor on the garden table in front
thats a bit eccentric
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

.... finding it difficult with the external mouse on the couch though.... whats your solution for that one ?
TRY one of these

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.33753
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

finding it difficult with the external mouse on the couch though.... whats your solution for that one ?
Touchpad... Unfortunately.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Rossi
That may just be the go....

Thanks
Old Aug 24th 2010, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to use the laptop touchpad to control the mouse. Just buy a proper mouse and plug it into the usb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.