Lap Band Surgery

Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lap Band Surgery

I got mine through Medicare and didn't pay a single cent. My only payments were to the surgeon for the initial consultation and to see him when I booked the op. I will have to pay to see him again for post op and fills, but I figure the savings in food bills will more than cover the gap fees. The wait list on Medicare is considerably longer than private - I waited well over a year - but absolutely everything was covered.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:16 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/t...es-1/episode-3

This was on Channel 4 recently. A bit of an eye opener really. After watching it I was left wondering why did they make these people wait so long for the op?

Also:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertain...5875-21293028/

Last edited by paulry; Apr 26th 2009 at 10:19 am.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/t...es-1/episode-3

This was on Channel 4 recently. A bit of an eye opener really. After watching it I was left wondering why did they make these people wait so long for the op?

Also:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv-entertain...5875-21293028/
There is absolutely no point a person having a gastric band unless their head is in the right place. I haven't seen the programme but obese people don't often get their headspace right and the cost of the surgery could be wasted. I could still stuff my face with high calorie foods even though I am banded. My head is in the right place so I don't. It isn't a quick fix and shouldn't be seen as one.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:03 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
There is absolutely no point a person having a gastric band unless their head is in the right place. I haven't seen the programme but obese people don't often get their headspace right and the cost of the surgery could be wasted. I could still stuff my face with high calorie foods even though I am banded. My head is in the right place so I don't. It isn't a quick fix and shouldn't be seen as one.
The doctor who performs most of the ops said in his last statement that if people want to cheat the band, they can but he added (quite sadly) that if they do that, then they are beyond help.

I for one am trying to cut out all the beige food (as he described) and am working on a hunter/gatherer kind of diet. But it's easier said than done when there are kids in the house. It's another of those "life's not fair" situations. They are lean and mean, they get the food that they like and I get fat.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 12:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Last time I saw you NB I couldn't believe how great you looked. It's what's kept me going these past 3 days through the shoulder pain, not being able to stand up straight for fear of tearing sutures, having to try to get prune juice down and all the rest.

I'm now on the nutritious liquids and surprisingly 1/4 cup of yogurt is actually filling! My OH bought me some of those little jars of pureed baby food to take to work for lunches - yum; pureed pears. So far I dropped 3 kg in the week pre-op and another 2 since the op.

I really have to give a huge shout out to Joondalup Hospital. They were absolutely fantastic with me right from pre-admission through to discharge. The nurses in the post surgical ward were absolutely run off their feet but treated me as if I were their only patient. Any time I needed something they were there within 5 minutes more than happy to help.
Keep up the good work Dorothy. You've got a great role model in Carol and it's brilliant you can all support each other. It's not something anyone who's not gone down this path can possibly imagine - well I know I can't.

I take my hat off to all of you
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=sj oldfield;7515083]
Originally Posted by northernbird
As Dorothy has now joined the land of the band I thought we should resurrect this thread and update.

I am now 6 months post surgery and am 26kg lighter. Weight loss is slow and steady which I am more than happy with. Feeling better than I have ever done.

Well done Carol!!
Thats fab!!!!! I have lost (between 26-29kg) depending on my naughtiness. And seem to have stablised at between 73-76kg, I am happy here, would like to be a 70kg but am grateful for what I have lost.

Hope you all do well. I for one am very happy even though I was not as bad as some my BMI was 40ish before starting and is now 27-28 and I have gone from morbid obeses to just pain overweight.

Jo
Old Apr 26th 2009, 9:16 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Take it easy, Dorothy, and give your body time to recover. All ops take it out of you more than you might initially think.
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Just thought that I would jump in. I am now down 26kg in about 14 weeks (I have a lot to loose) This is the best thing that I have ever done. I am going for a fill on Wednesday. I find that I am loosing about 1kg a week now wihich is great.

You still have to work at it though. I do 1/2 hour on the treadmill each day as well.

Dorothy you will feel better everyday and welcome to the lapband world. Need any help let me know.

NB you are doing fantastic, keep up the good work.

Sunshine23
Old Apr 26th 2009, 10:49 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone time constrained for exercise should look up Tabata intervals.

Basically it involves a 5 min warm up then 20secs hard, 10 secs easy repeated 7 or 8 times. The exercise can be whatever you enjoy. Maybe start with walking then move up to running or cycling.

Sounds easy however it is bloody hard.

http://www.squidoo.com/tabatatraining#module12009964

Take it easy at first and take medical advice if you are obese or have a condition that may affect exercise.

Good luck to everyone and hope you find what works for you.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:40 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
The doctor who performs most of the ops said in his last statement that if people want to cheat the band, they can but he added (quite sadly) that if they do that, then they are beyond help.
The dietitian I saw was telling me about a client who had the band but managed to gain weight with it. Instead of choosing the right foods she only chose high fat, high calorie choices and didn't bother to exercise.
Originally Posted by moneypen20
Keep up the good work Dorothy. You've got a great role model in Carol and it's brilliant you can all support each other. It's not something anyone who's not gone down this path can possibly imagine - well I know I can't.

I take my hat off to all of you
Thank you so much Pen. Carole is really my role model and because I see her on a semi-regular basis I have got some really good advice about what to expect and how to keep on track later down the line.
[QUOTE=joho;7516899]
Originally Posted by sj oldfield

Thats fab!!!!! I have lost (between 26-29kg) depending on my naughtiness. And seem to have stablised at between 73-76kg, I am happy here, would like to be a 70kg but am grateful for what I have lost.

Hope you all do well. I for one am very happy even though I was not as bad as some my BMI was 40ish before starting and is now 27-28 and I have gone from morbid obeses to just pain overweight.

Jo
If that's you in your avatar then you look bloody fantastic. I can't wait to be between 73-76 kg.

I have to say it's been really good having all you other bandits on here. Now I know who to ask if I have a problem. Right now the only issue I seem to have is that I can't tell when I'm hungry until I get the gas pain in my shoulder and start to burp. I'm also having a bit of trouble getting enough water/other liquids. I can manage the 1/2 cup of nutritious liquids 6x daily but another 2 litres of water on top of that means I've constantly got a drink! My breakfast now consists of 1/2 cup Sustagen, 1/2 cup black coffee and 1/2 cup water with 2ml Metamucil mixed in. YUMMY!!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:53 am
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

If that's you in your avatar then you look bloody fantastic. I can't wait to be between 73-76 kg.

I have to say it's been really good having all you other bandits on here. Now I know who to ask if I have a problem. Right now the only issue I seem to have is that I can't tell when I'm hungry until I get the gas pain in my shoulder and start to burp. I'm also having a bit of trouble getting enough water/other liquids. I can manage the 1/2 cup of nutritious liquids 6x daily but another 2 litres of water on top of that means I've constantly got a drink! My breakfast now consists of 1/2 cup Sustagen, 1/2 cup black coffee and 1/2 cup water with 2ml Metamucil mixed in. YUMMY!!

I found the early days hard, not because I was hungry, but I just craved solid food.
Now I can eat the same as the family but much smaller portions and can still enjoy the odd glass of wine. I have rediscovered the gym and try to do 2 pump classes and 2 RPM classes a week.
My weight has been slow to come off in the last month so I am ready for my next fill in a couple of weeks
Old Apr 27th 2009, 1:57 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by thpinkpussycat
I found the early days hard, not because I was hungry, but I just craved solid food.
Now I can eat the same as the family but much smaller portions and can still enjoy the odd glass of wine. I have rediscovered the gym and try to do 2 pump classes and 2 RPM classes a week.
My weight has been slow to come off in the last month so I am ready for my next fill in a couple of weeks
I know! I made meatloaf and mashed potatoes for my family for dinner last night and it was all I could do not to pick in the little bits of onion that fall out when it's sliced. Oh well, another 4 weeks and I can have some.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:09 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

I know! I made meatloaf and mashed potatoes for my family for dinner last night and it was all I could do not to pick in the little bits of onion that fall out when it's sliced. Oh well, another 4 weeks and I can have some.
I just noticed your new avatar. I see you've lost the chip on your shoulder!
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:12 am
Still alive

Originally Posted by comet555
I just noticed your new avatar. I see you've lost the chip on your shoulder!
I have a new one for later this week.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 2:13 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Keep up the good work guys, you are all doing brilliant

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.