Lap Band Surgery

Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:42 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lap Band Surgery

Originally Posted by poppie
If you are "private" surgeons will opearate on anyone......
No, they won't. I've worked for both private and public surgeons in the past.
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:43 pm
I'm no dog

poppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I AM working for them now & TRUST me they do! Don't fall for the Bullshit
Old Jan 25th 2009, 11:44 pm
I'm no dog

poppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nicepoppie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dorothy
And that's ANY speciality, not just Bari, before you all get started....
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:03 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Keep digging that hole, poppie

NB - you are doing great, well done.

Sunshine, all the very best for your imminent procedure, and I look forward to following your post-op progress.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Keep digging that hole, poppie

NB - you are doing great, well done.

Sunshine, all the very best for your imminent procedure, and I look forward to following your post-op progress.
My surgeon will only operate on people with a BMI of over 35 and usually only if they have another health issue, his main range is over 40 BMI.

On anothe note, an american website (cant remember now) people on there who have had to have there band removed/replaced have now opted for something to do with a sleeve, apparently the results are just as good but no need for fills etc. Maybe worth looking into for those considering this type of surgery.

Jo
Old Jan 26th 2009, 12:32 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

And that's ANY speciality, not just Bari, before you all get started....
That may be true of the ones you work for now, but that's not true of any of the many surgeons I've worked with/for over the past 20 years. I have worked in a number of specialties btw.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Read my post! I said about being morbidly obese & that I knew I was "only" 2 1/2 stone over.....Blimey....only trying to help. Kind of proves my point
What point does it prove Poppie. You are speaking of your experience in a UK hospital I assume. We are all in Australia where believe me things are done very differently. The surgeon that did my procedure will not operate on just anyone as Dorothy has mentioned.

I don't want this thread to go off course for the sake of those of us who have been supported by everyone thus far. If you can't contribute positively then please don't contribute. All of us who have had this surgery or are considering it are fully aware of the downsides and what can happen. Do you think we just got up one day and decided to go under the knife. I didn't for sure. I thought long and hard about this before I decided to go ahead with it.

I am glad that you don't have an issue with excessive weight and hope that you achieve your goal quickly.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 1:22 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to all that have given me the support that I needed. Yes I know that I am doing the right thing. Not only for my health but also for my self esteem. I mean yes I do want to buy nice clothes as well. My niece is getting married in September and I want to look nice.

My surgeon will not just operate on anyone. I had to see the dietician and psycologist before he would consider it. He also told me it was not miracle cure and if I thought I was going to be a size 12 with no effort I was wrong. It was going to take a lot of hard work.

Norhernbird your posts have helped me no end and good luck with the rest of your journey.

Let you all know how it went Wedneday.

A very nervous Sunshine23
Old Jan 26th 2009, 4:24 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are "private" surgeons will opearate on anyone......
I'm assuming you're talking about the UK private sector? It would appear that there is a different way of doing things here in Aus. Whilst your information is probably useful to those that are contemplating the surgery (no idea, skinny minny here), most people are obviously in Aus or planning on having the treatment in Aus so certain aspects will be very different.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:04 am
I'm no dog

Ok, I will withdraw from the thread
I think it's a shame though. There are downsides & NOT everyone is aware of them.
Oh, & BTW, I have worked in Oz too
Best of luck to you all
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:27 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I will withdraw from the thread
I think it's a shame though. There are downsides & NOT everyone is aware of them.
Oh, & BTW, I have worked in Oz too
Best of luck to you all
Nobody is saying there aren't downsides. There are and I know my surgeon and the many forums I frequented made me aware of them. However, for the majority of morbidly obese women like me the pluses far outweigh any potential problems. If you have some proven statistics that you could link to then that would be very useful for anyone considering the surgery.
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

As I said before, I think there are quite a lot of patients that have problems with the band. The majority are fine, don't get me wrong, but I do feel it's a good idea to point out the cons!! I work at one of the biggest weight loss surgery hospitals in the UK. We do have some patients come back to have the band removed, as they just couldn't tolerate it. Most have lost the weight already, but all of these patients say that it is the worst thing they've ever had to endure. I've had patients say it's runied their lives, as it's made them so sick.
I have seen amazing results though! We also have two nurses who have had full on Bari surgery & have lost loads of weight & it has truly changed their lives
Oh and about the balloon? Don't bother! It costs nearly the same as a band & just involves a gastroscopy with throat spray/??sedation....it is then removed after 6 months???? HELLO?! The patients needing invasive surgery for weight loss will eat as before once the balloon is removed! Even the surgeons don't recommend this!
I do wonder about weight loss surgery though. I'm not totally comfortable with it. I'm overweight myself (about 2 1/2 stones) and if you could give me a pill to be thin I would take it! However, surgery frightens me. I started at weight watchers three weeks ago & have currently lost 6 lbs. It's hard, I'm hungry, I'm a greedy bitch normally!!! I gave up smoking three years ago & the weight has piled on!
I do think that for those that have got to morbid obesity stage it's a vital op. I do not think that the counselling after the op is considered at all.
The idea that baraitric/lap band surgery is now a regular operation (we have lists 6 days a week) means that people see their weight problem (or will do, I mean our kids) as something that can be fixed by the surgeons knife. The patients I deal with have very little counselling. They see someone to work out why they eat, what they eat etc etc. And this is just to get funding from whatever health authority. It's not counselling to make them "better", just to dot i's & cross the t's! They don't actually have counselling to try to get them to eat less?
I also worry about the surgeons getting greedy! People are desparate to look good & willing to throw their money away! I've seen a couple of patients recently who really didn't need surgery, a couple of months at weight watchers or slimming world would have sufficed. But, the surgeons agreed to operate?!
Isn't it worrying that society is getting fatter? This is not meant to be nasty, it's a fact! I'm part of the fatness! I know I eat too much & am addressing. it...I didn't want to die from lung cancer like my Dad....food took over where the fagettes left
When I was at school there was always the token fat kid....now there's quite a few? It's now acceptable for YOUNG girls to wear tight clothes with rolls of fat? What's that about?
I'm not superficial/shallow/vain...God, if you only knew BUT, this does worry me.... it's a big health issue for the future!
I wish all of you who have had surgery all the best! And once again, I'm NOT dissing it! However, please try and promote healthy eating, proper portion size ra ra ra, especially to the kids. I for one don't want my daughter wanting a lap band along with her boob job (another can of worms!) hair straighteners etc
I have read your post thoroughly and actully find nothing in it offensive at all. Not sure what all the bickering is about. I would imaginie the point that you are making is that in the private sector in the UK they do operate for the money, but this wouldnt happen in the NHS cause there isnt the funding. Am I correct. Also that people are becoming more complacent thinking that if they get fat 'oh I will get surgery to fix that later'. I dont think you were talking about any of us on here and I am not offened at all.

Jo
Old Jan 26th 2009, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

I may be out of step here....

But, I am mostly interested in Northerbird's journey.

I have applauded her privately on the course she has decided is best for her, and I think that she has been very brave to undertake this surgery.

I was a 'skinny minny' up until 10 years ago, when succesive non-weight related surgeries resulted in me suffering serious weigh gains. Since then things have changed. I am not brave enough to do what Northernbird and others on this thread have undertaken.

I do, however, applaud their great efforts to try to lose weight. Maybe I will find the courage that Northernbird and others on this thread have found.

I am very grateful for the insight that C, Northernbird, and others have given into 'lapband surgery' for us 'fatties' out here.

Let's not decry them, rather we should applaud them for their honesty, and insight, into what many of us may have to face in the future.

I can understand that some of you may want to 'protect' us from ourselves, but PLEASE do not take away our hope, or the comments from those who have chosen 'lapband' as a solution, and who may be our mentors in the future.

Please, don't embarrass them into silence............. their help may be what we rely on in the future

M xxx
Old Jan 26th 2009, 7:31 pm
I'm no dog

Originally Posted by joho
I have read your post thoroughly and actully find nothing in it offensive at all. Not sure what all the bickering is about. I would imaginie the point that you are making is that in the private sector in the UK they do operate for the money, but this wouldnt happen in the NHS cause there isnt the funding. Am I correct. Also that people are becoming more complacent thinking that if they get fat 'oh I will get surgery to fix that later'. I dont think you were talking about any of us on here and I am not offened at all.

Jo
That's very kind of you Jo, thankyou
You can only get funding for a lap band if you have a bmi greater than 35. Patients can still have the op privately (same surgeons, same lists, same hospital, just a private ward) if their bmi is less. Some of these patients, in my opinion, aren't THAT big, but, they have been advised the pros & cons & sign the consent. Private patients are the surgeon's bread & butter - the world over......
Weight loss is a sensitive issue & people get very defensive, I understand that.
I have worked in this area for ten years & was just sharing my experience & opinions. I meant no offence to anybody.
As I said, I'm out of here for fear of upsetting anyone else.
And I really do wish you all the best of luck
Old Jan 26th 2009, 8:24 pm
Gutter Gob!!

That's very kind of you Jo, thankyou
You can only get funding for a lap band if you have a bmi greater than 35. Patients can still have the op privately (same surgeons, same lists, same hospital, just a private ward) if their bmi is less. Some of these patients, in my opinion, aren't THAT big, but, they have been advised the pros & cons & sign the consent. Private patients are the surgeon's bread & butter - the world over......
Weight loss is a sensitive issue & people get very defensive, I understand that.
I have worked in this area for ten years & was just sharing my experience & opinions. I meant no offence to anybody.
As I said, I'm out of here for fear of upsetting anyone else.
And I really do wish you all the best of luck
I know what you are trying to say and as I said a lot of it was the way I took it, you didn't upset me just made me a little mad temporarily. If you genuinely have useful information please contribute it, that is what this thread was about but don't assume things about people please. I am sure some patients in your hospital don't need to go through it. I know for a fact that even privately my surgeon won't touch under BMI 35 people unless they have serious medical issues that go with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.