Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Ladies ... your favourite make up products/brands?

Ladies ... your favourite make up products/brands?

Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ladies ... your favourite make up products/brands?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Only wear moisturiser, Oil of Olay (still miss the U), and mascara, no idea of the make but it's one of those with a white end and a black end. It's waterproof but it's the only waterproof that doesn't slide down my face after half an hour. Vaseline for cleaning mascara off and Ten O Six for a max clean every couple of days. Used to love Ten O Six when I was about 14 but then it got taken off the shelves in the UK. Was made up to find it here. Oh and Blistex Lip Conditioner.

That's me done

Do many of you wear foundation? I've never understood the stuff and don't get why people wear it. Love to know the reason, seems really bad for the skin to me so I must be missing something.
I wear foundation only if I'm going out. Can't be bothered the rest of the time! It does make a difference though, it makes your complexion much "cleaner" by evening out your skin tone and hiding imperfections like blemishes etc. It also holds the rest of your make up in place (if you are going for a night out somewhere this is good). The Revlon mattifying one with oil control (Flex I think it's called) is good.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
I think they are supposed to be kinder to your skin no? .
This is what I don't get. How can putting something that covers the skin in order for it to look 'flawless' be good for the skin. The pores and surface are being covered up, not breathing and getting clogged and you then need more stuff to take it off. Seems really unhealthy, and from people I know who use it constantly, admit that their skin is bad so they have to use more I have visions of 80 year old ladies with six inch thick foundation on.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

This is what I don't get. How can putting something that covers the skin in order for it to look 'flawless' be good for the skin. The pores and surface are being covered up, not breathing and getting clogged and you then need more stuff to take it off. Seems really unhealthy, and from people I know who use it constantly, admit that their skin is bad so they have to use more I have visions of 80 year old ladies with six inch thick foundation on.
I think it's kinder to your skin that other foundations is what I meant because it's mineral based rather than ... well, whatever they put in the other stuff

I hear what you say about clogging pores etc. Joan Collins swears by it as she reckons wearing foundation is the best thing you can do for your skin as it blocks out the sun damage and pollutants etc.

I don't wear it a lot as, depending on which brand, it can make me break out, yes. But others I know who wear it have marvellous skin, so I think it just comes down to skin type.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

I love make up, I use channel make up, for creams I use clarins & body shop lipstick I use who ever does nice colour , I just have so much of the stuff I can open my own shop.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:16 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's kinder to your skin that other foundations is what I meant because it's mineral based rather than ... well, whatever they put in the other stuff

I hear what you say about clogging pores etc. Joan Collins swears by it as she reckons wearing foundation is the best thing you can do for your skin as it blocks out the sun damage and pollutants etc.

I don't wear it a lot as, depending on which brand, it can make me break out, yes. But others I know who wear it have marvellous skin, so I think it just comes down to skin type.
I imagine with Joan Collins, without the foundation holding her skin up, her cheeks would be down by her cheeks . I guess I see the cutting out the sun damage and pollutants bit but would rather use a good moisturiser with a screen in it and stay out of the sun as much as possible. Each to their own I guess. Still happy to be proved wrong though It's definitely scary exactly what's in half the stuff we smear all over ourselves in the search for beauty, especially when most men would prefer the natural look.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:30 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I imagine with Joan Collins, without the foundation holding her skin up, her cheeks would be down by her cheeks . I guess I see the cutting out the sun damage and pollutants bit but would rather use a good moisturiser with a screen in it and stay out of the sun as much as possible. Each to their own I guess. Still happy to be proved wrong though It's definitely scary exactly what's in half the stuff we smear all over ourselves in the search for beauty, especially when most men would prefer the natural look.

I think most men prefer us to look natural but not necessarily au natural, particularly as we get older and our skin is not so fresh and peachy! -
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:39 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Whether foundation is good for your skin or not all depends on what type you use. If you find a good formula then it won't block your pores, it gives a flawless finish to the skin and is an extra layer of protection against the sun, free radicals etc. Also your skin doesn't breathe...it doesn't have lungs! I use a Neutrogena tinted moisturiser which has retinol and SPF 30 so keeps my skin protected and gives me a nice tint of colour so I don't scare small children with my paleness.

Anyway, i'm somewhat of a makeup/skincare freak so I'll stop here, otherwise I could literally be typing all day! Lets just say i'm 50% looking forward to trying stuff in Aus that i can get here (already love the Daintree skincare) and 50% wondering how I'm going to get my fix of stuff I love from the UK.

Therese
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:41 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

I wear foundation a fair bit and my skin is fine. Not clogged at all It has an spf in it and just evens out my tone, I have very rosy cheeks, always have had

I wear Estee Lauder foundation.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I think most men prefer us to look natural but not necessarily au natural, particularly as we get older and our skin is not so fresh and peachy! -
I agree, I think it's rubbish that men prefer natural. They prefer what they think is natural, they just don't realise how long it's taken to look "natural" I've found too much and too little is a no-no. Who cares about men anyway, it's other women I'm trying to impress
Old Apr 15th 2008, 8:59 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by RedT
Whether foundation is good for your skin or not all depends on what type you use. If you find a good formula then it won't block your pores, it gives a flawless finish to the skin and is an extra layer of protection against the sun, free radicals etc. Also your skin doesn't breathe...it doesn't have lungs!
No I do know it doesn't 'breathe' as such but it surely needs fresh air on it to look and feel healthy 'They' say we need a bit of Vitamin D to stay healthy, that's the sun touching your skin presumably? I don't see a problem with occasional usage, going out on the pull etc but continuous must be wrong?
Originally Posted by Clippy
I wear foundation a fair bit and my skin is fine. Not clogged at all It has an spf in it and just evens out my tone, I have very rosy cheeks, always have had

I wear Estee Lauder foundation.
And you don't look like Joan Collins? Cool What's wrong with rosy cheeks? At least you must look alive
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by RedT
Whether foundation is good for your skin or not all depends on what type you use. If you find a good formula then it won't block your pores, it gives a flawless finish to the skin and is an extra layer of protection against the sun, free radicals etc. Also your skin doesn't breathe...it doesn't have lungs! I use a Neutrogena tinted moisturiser which has retinol and SPF 30 so keeps my skin protected and gives me a nice tint of colour so I don't scare small children with my paleness.

Anyway, i'm somewhat of a makeup/skincare freak so I'll stop here, otherwise I could literally be typing all day! Lets just say i'm 50% looking forward to trying stuff in Aus that i can get here (already love the Daintree skincare) and 50% wondering how I'm going to get my fix of stuff I love from the UK.

Therese
I do like a tinted moisturiser, used to use a Vichy one but they don't do it here (that I've seen).

What UK stuff are you worried you might not be able to get here Therese? Can you get Napoleon in UK? It's an Aussie brand that is pretty popular. Plus Modelco and Bloom also spring to mind.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

And you don't look like Joan Collins? Cool What's wrong with rosy cheeks? At least you must look alive
You add the rosy cheeks on with blusher after the foundation
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

You add the rosy cheeks on with blusher after the foundation
Don't start me I have enough trouble putting moisturiser and mascara and clothes on in the morning with my eyes shut. Would never manage the rest of the slap
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:19 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I do like a tinted moisturiser, used to use a Vichy one but they don't do it here (that I've seen).

What UK stuff are you worried you might not be able to get here Therese? Can you get Napoleon in UK? It's an Aussie brand that is pretty popular. Plus Modelco and Bloom also spring to mind.
Hiya!

It’s silly things like my favourite Boots wipes that I’ll probably miss. And just products and brands being familiar. I also love Urban Decay, is that readily available? I'm definitely looking forward to having Covergirl available again, some of their stuff (mascaras especially) are amazing and so cheap. Also Becca is a lovely Australian brand, stupidly expensive in the UK but more reasonable in Oz. And Dove have a much bigger range of skincare available in Oz than over here. My fave moisturiser is one of theirs, has an SPF, is lovely and light and costs about $15!

Apparently (according to my US makeup mates) Napolean Perdis is in bother in the US as it’s been revealed that his brand is actually a really cheap drugstore brand which he has simple re-labelled and bumped up the price!

Thérèse
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:27 am

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Erm....well I don't think I do

Ah, I don't mind rosy cheeks sometimes. I wouldn't die of shame if I left the house without make up on, I just feel better with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.