British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Ladies ... your favourite make up products/brands? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/ladies-your-favourite-make-up-products-brands-529421/)

rabsody Apr 15th 2008 6:39 am

Ladies ... your favourite make up products/brands?

I thought I would start this thread as make up can be difficult to keep on your face in a Queensland summer. I recently purchased MAC Blotfix pressed powder, it is brilliant, best powder I've ever used as it keeps skin matt for ages (instead of usual oil slick!).

Another great product is Estee Lauder Projectionist mascara - stays put and creates fab lashes. :thumbsup:

I'm always on the look out for other make up or skin care worth trying (expensive isn't necessarily better in my experience). Ladies (or men?!) ... what are your all time faves?

mancfamily Apr 15th 2008 7:01 am

Re: Ladies ... your favourite make up products/brands?

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 6210135)
I thought I would start this thread as make up can be difficult to keep on your face in a Queensland summer. I recently purchased MAC Blotfix pressed powder, it is brilliant, best powder I've ever used as it keeps skin matt for ages (instead of usual oil slick!).

Another great product is Estee Lauder Projectionist mascara - stays put and creates fab lashes. :thumbsup:

I'm always on the look out for other make up or skin care worth trying (expensive isn't necessarily better in my experience). Ladies (or men?!) ... what are your all time faves?

If I'm feeling flush...which isn't very often then I adore Lancome products.
For everyday use then I find Boots No 7 products are quite good.

kez81 Apr 15th 2008 7:03 am

my fav was boots number 7 wish i could get it here using maybeline at the moment.

northernbird Apr 15th 2008 7:16 am

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 6210135)

For people who are in a hurry in the morning or at night before bed Clarins One Step Cleanser with Orange is a must. Cleanser and toner in one and with a lovely smell.

rabsody Apr 15th 2008 7:16 am

Originally Posted by mancfamily (Post 6210247)
If I'm feeling flush...which isn't very often then I adore Lancome products.
For everyday use then I find Boots No 7 products are quite good.

Have you tried www.strawberrynet.com? I get Juicy Tubes from there - about $44 here retail, I can pick them up there for about $24! Free postage too. If you are in the UK I think they can charge you duty upon delivery though - thankfully not in Aus :) 5% discount if you buy three products as well.

Originally Posted by kez81 (Post 6210255)
my fav was boots number 7 wish i could get it here using maybeline at the moment.

Used to love No. 7, they were selling it at Myer at one point but haven't seen it for a while. They are doing Bourjois now in Priceline though. :)

mancfamily Apr 15th 2008 7:28 am

[QUOTE=rabsody;6210329]Have you tried www.strawberrynet.com? I get Juicy Tubes from there - about $44 here retail, I can pick them up there for about $24! Free postage too. If you are in the UK I think they can charge you duty upon delivery though - thankfully not in Aus :) 5% discount if you buy three products as well.

oooh that's good to know, will have a look at that site.

Kapri Apr 15th 2008 7:28 am

My new fave product is Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream sheer tint lip protector.
i use it instead of lipstick during the day.
It protects like a lip balm but gives a sheer wash of colour :thumbup:

Has anyone tried these mineral foundations? They are being advertised in a lot of brands but I haven't tried them yet.

moneypenny20 Apr 15th 2008 7:37 am

Only wear moisturiser, Oil of Olay (still miss the U), and mascara, no idea of the make but it's one of those with a white end and a black end. It's waterproof but it's the only waterproof that doesn't slide down my face after half an hour. Vaseline for cleaning mascara off and Ten O Six for a max clean every couple of days. Used to love Ten O Six when I was about 14 but then it got taken off the shelves in the UK. Was made up ;) to find it here. Oh and Blistex Lip Conditioner.

That's me done :D

Do many of you wear foundation? I've never understood the stuff and don't get why people wear it. Love to know the reason, seems really bad for the skin to me so I must be missing something.:)

northernbird Apr 15th 2008 7:41 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6210420)
Only wear moisturiser, Oil of Olay (still miss the U), and mascara, no idea of the make but it's one of those with a white end and a black end. It's waterproof but it's the only waterproof that doesn't slide down my face after half an hour. Vaseline for cleaning mascara off and Ten O Six for a max clean every couple of days. Used to love Ten O Six when I was about 14 but then it got taken off the shelves in the UK. Was made up ;) to find it here. Oh and Blistex Lip Conditioner.

That's me done :D

Do many of you wear foundation? I've never understood the stuff and don't get why people wear it. Love to know the reason, seems really bad for the skin to me so I must be missing something.:)

I don't wear it either. Might use a bit of concealer if I have a spot :o Mascara and lippy is all I wear.

My routine is Clarins one step facial cleanser followed by energising morning cream and eye serum, extra firming night cream at bedtime followed by more eye serum. I don't bother with makeup unless I am leaving the house for more than a couple of hours.

St.Georges Girl Apr 15th 2008 7:41 am

Originally Posted by kez81 (Post 6210255)

They used to sell No7 in Coles up at Ocean Keys and Myer in the city and Karrinyup. Don't know if they still do as I get my from eBay now, but it'd be worth a call to find out.

Vanessa Apr 15th 2008 7:45 am

I wear (and so therefore must be my favourite!) SKII facial wash, cleanser, toner, eye cream, moisturiser, and anti wrinkle cream. In the make up range I wear a tint cover by Benefit, YSL Touche Eclat, a bronzer by Estee Lauder, Dior mascara and Mac cream blusher. If I wear eye make up or lipstick I generally use Dior or for a gloss Juicy Tubes.

rabsody Apr 15th 2008 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Vanessa (Post 6210454)
I wear (and so therefore must be my favourite!) SKII facial wash, cleanser, toner, eye cream, moisturiser, and anti wrinkle cream. In the make up range I wear a tint cover by Benefit, YSL Touche Eclat, a bronzer by Estee Lauder, Dior mascara and Mac cream blusher. If I wear eye make up or lipstick I generally use Dior or for a gloss Juicy Tubes.

Oh I'd love to try the SKII range but it's just too pricey for me. Do you find it much better than, say, Chanel or Dermalogica?

Have you checked out the Strawberrynet site I mentioned above? You would save yourself a fortune, they have all those brands on there apart from Benefit. It comes from Hong Kong and gets to you within about 5 days. I have ordered lots of times and they've always been great (they don't pay me to promote them - unfortunately! - they have just saved me a lot of money on cosmetics :o).

rabsody Apr 15th 2008 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 6210386)
My new fave product is Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream sheer tint lip protector.
i use it instead of lipstick during the day.
It protects like a lip balm but gives a sheer wash of colour :thumbup:

Has anyone tried these mineral foundations? They are being advertised in a lot of brands but I haven't tried them yet.

Oh must try that one, I have the 8 hour cream but not the tinted version.

Haven't tried the mineral foundations yet. Like moneypen I don't bother unless I am going out but I think they are supposed to be kinder to your skin no? I think Jane Iredale is a reputable one.

northernbird Apr 15th 2008 7:57 am

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 6210475)
Oh I'd love to try the SKII range but it's just too pricey for me. Do you find it much better than, say, Chanel or Dermalogica?

Have you checked out the Strawberrynet site I mentioned above? You would save yourself a fortune, they have all those brands on there apart from Benefit. It comes from Hong Kong and gets to you within about 5 days. I have ordered lots of times and they've always been great (they don't pay me to promote them - unfortunately! - they have just saved me a lot of money on cosmetics :o).

thanks for recommending that site. I recently had to replenish cleanser and moisturiser and if I had bought from there I would have saved myself $30 in total. Will be using them in the future thats for sure.

Vanessa Apr 15th 2008 7:57 am

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 6210475)

I use them for some of my make up products but not the skin care. SKII do not supply to anyone except authorised outlets and so therefore a little dubious of where the product comes from. They could be grey imports but at that money I would rather be sure and buy locally.

Certainly noticed the difference in my skin, particularly around the lower part of my face and eyes. I used to use Decleor but find SKII suits my skin better.