Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Lack of choice in 1980s style supermarkets

Lack of choice in 1980s style supermarkets

Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lack of choice in 1980s style supermarkets

Dear me.

Had to go to Aldi in Lakeside Paky yesterday to complete the set of sports compression underwear for the Missus. The one in Beaconsfield did not have her size only XXXXXXL.

I also went to Coles in Lakeside.

The smallest range of choice I've ever seen in a supermarket in the civilised world. Tiny, narrow aisles. 80s look. I would not have put it past them to use those old little plastic numbers for the prices. They did not stock quail, or pheasant. No red chilli peppers, only green.

Now the Coles in Berwick which we do not go to is considered to be a good one - and pricy too and is far more modern. The Woolies in Beaconsfield we go to by default is the dog's undercarriage. Modern, swish, keeps it tight. A pleasure to use.

So there you have it - demographics, and demographic targeting in action. It's massive in Oooustraylia.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of choice in 1980s style supermarkets

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Dear me.

Had to go to Aldi in Lakeside Paky yesterday to complete the set of sports compression underwear for the Missus. The one in Beaconsfield did not have her size only XXXXXXL.

The smallest range of choice I've ever seen in a supermarket in the civilised world. Tiny, narrow aisles. 80s look. I would not have put it past them to use those old little plastic numbers for the prices. They did not stock quail, or pheasant. No red chilli peppers, only green.
Now the Coles in Berwick which we do not go to is considered to be a good one - and pricy too and is far more modern. The Woolies in Beaconsfield we go to by default is the dog's undercarriage. Modern, swish, keeps it tight. A pleasure to use.

So there you have it - demographics, and demographic targeting in action. It's massive in Oooustraylia.
I guess this is a joke?
Old Jun 13th 2010, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
I guess this is a joke?
Partly. I was looking for game (off chance). I didn't expect pheasant but I did expect red chilli.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Dear me.

Order from Food Direct, they'll deliver your quail and red peppers to your door, all the while you can sip your cognac in front of the open fire in your smoking jacket and slippers - no having to deal with the village peasants at all.

Joking aside, speaking of online shopping - if any of you order form Aussie Farmers Direct and don't support a charity, please click on the Alpha 1 Association of Australia as your charity and 2% of your annual sales will go to this charity. Thanks in advance if any of you use them.

Last edited by Kim67; Jun 13th 2010 at 4:23 am.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 5:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree. Go to any Coles or Woolies and you can work out the demographic of the people who shop there. Recently we popped into a Coles in one of the largest shopping malls here and were very surprised not to find the range of stock available in our local Coles - which is smaller. Thinking about it, our local Coles serves both an affluent area and an area with a huge racial mix, so we are lucky to have the best of both worlds. The Coles we popped into serves a large, predominantly white working class area.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:47 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I completely agree. Go to any Coles or Woolies and you can work out the demographic of the people who shop there. Recently we popped into a Coles in one of the largest shopping malls here and were very surprised not to find the range of stock available in our local Coles - which is smaller. Thinking about it, our local Coles serves both an affluent area and an area with a huge racial mix, so we are lucky to have the best of both worlds. The Coles we popped into serves a large, predominantly white working class area.
I got into a stand-up row (yea I know, that's unusual where I'm concerned) with someone on this forum a few years back on this very subject. I listed some of the items that were available in the little IGA down the road from here and I was told I lying. So I produced photographic evidence of the produce on sale and that ended the argument fairly swiftly. As you say - demographics - large number of wealthy retirees who've escaped Sydney and are spending their retirement in the country, coupled with the best primary school for miles attracting your upwardly mobile types, coupled with a very picturesque location - and you get Quail eggs in your IGA.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Fly Away
I've not heard this directly on BE - obviously not paying attention - but I've heard it in the real, here in the SE. (Which, to be honest, top-trumps what I read). I don't recall it so much in the UK. It was either Waitrose territory or non-Waitrose territory (moreorless). It also shows that the Aussie supplier is a lot cannier than given credit for (even if the consumer is dissed frequently.)

But it's only taken me 6 years to see it in action. Why so long - the fact we've only gone to one place, (and now another, infact, for the last few months).

It also explains so much of the disparity in reports.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kim67
Order from Food Direct, they'll deliver your quail and red peppers to your door, all the while you can sip your cognac in front of the open fire in your smoking jacket and slippers - no having to deal with the village peasants at all.

Joking aside, speaking of online shopping - if any of you order form Aussie Farmers Direct and don't support a charity, please click on the Alpha 1 Association of Australia as your charity and 2% of your annual sales will go to this charity. Thanks in advance if any of you use them.
I'll make a point of it. Thank you!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:02 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Coles Bondi Junction has a Kosher aisle. The coles where I live has a larger Asian food selection and the fish is fresher. Those awful sausages are available in greater numbers as well. Westiefields here has a Lowes. Bondi Junction has Chanel, Versace and Armani.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I got into a stand-up row (yea I know, that's unusual where I'm concerned) with someone on this forum a few years back on this very subject. I listed some of the items that were available in the little IGA down the road from here and I was told I lying. So I produced photographic evidence of the produce on sale and that ended the argument fairly swiftly. As you say - demographics - large number of wealthy retirees who've escaped Sydney and are spending their retirement in the country, coupled with the best primary school for miles attracting your upwardly mobile types, coupled with a very picturesque location - and you get Quail eggs in your IGA.
I know Tesco etc. use their loyalty cards to statistically examine purchases by demographic groups. I suspect Flybys and so on are used the same way here.

When we first arrived we trawled around a lot of supermarkets to find the one we liked best and there are quite big differences. One near us has a huge range of Italian foods due to a large local Italian community, another has a lot of Asian food. We also pay less for our fruit and veg in the inner suburbs both in the supermarket and greengrocers than the outer suburbs. I assume this may be down to increased demand and competition. (We have 3 supermarkets and 2 greengrocers within one small area.)
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:45 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IvanM
Coles Bondi Junction has a Kosher aisle. The coles where I live has a larger Asian food selection and the fish is fresher. Those awful sausages are available in greater numbers as well. Westiefields here has a Lowes. Bondi Junction has Chanel, Versace and Armani.
And a David Jones (great authentic pork pies for sale). And don't forget Max Brenners.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

David Jones Food Hall is great for choice.

Thomas Dux is fantastic too.

Harris Farm Markets are wonderful for fresh produce

Liking Max Brenners too - ONLY just discovered it.

My local suburban very small Coles has great choice:

Lots of organic food.
Lots of Asian / Japanese food.
Huge choice for eggs - 12 different types.
Unusual fruit (i.e.) Durians.
Huge choice for a lot of things really, given how small it is.

Just discovered some great delis in Mona Vale too.

Suppose it depends where you live.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:15 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
Suppose it depends where you live.
Sure does. We hardly ever shop at Coles or Woolies. Thomas Dux has fantastic fresh produce but was better for other things when it was Macro. (Yes I know Woolies bought out Macro to turn into Dux - that's probably why most of the dry stock is now crap.)

We're moving south of the border this week and our local shop is a Spar
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:34 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billabongbunyip
............Unusual fruit (i.e.) Durians.
where is the vomit smiley when you need it. Smell's of dead bodies

I want to try it but I can't get past the smell mate
Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:31 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
where is the vomit smiley when you need it. Smell's of dead bodies

I want to try it but I can't get past the smell mate
Don't do it. The resultant burps are evil.

We used to live in an area with a road full of fruit stalls. During durian season even going along it in a taxi was a health risk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.