The Knitting thread

Old May 17th 2018, 10:41 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Knitting thread

All you crafty people make me envious, I wish I'd paid more attention in sewing at school. Mind you, even if I'd paid more attention I'd still be crap at it. I began one year in primary school working on an 'embroidery sampler'. At the end of the year it seemed as though every other girl had a stack of beautifully embroidered samplers, while I was still working on the same sad, limp and grey one It would have been ok if they'd let girls do woodwork!

I know a few men who are brilliant at sewing and knitting. They're in my age group so they didn't learn at school! How glad I am that the artificial divisions between what boys and girls should learn have - I was going to say disappeared, but that's not quite true - have 'considerably lessened' is more like it.
Old May 17th 2018, 11:09 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My sewing know how (not a lot) was self taught after not having looked at a machine for 30 odd years after sewing class at school. I'd made a couple of cushions - sewing by hand - and my inlaws liked them. I mentioned they were hand sewn, next time we saw them they presented me with a basic refurbed machine. I decided to recover a sofa and two swivel armchairs. It took a while and a huge amount of blood, sweat and swearing but I was really pleased with the result. My main complaint is the lack imo of decent material choice. I had the most fantastic huge independent furnishing shop in my old home town, never found anything remotely equal.
Old May 17th 2018, 11:33 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

On a French note, and to blow my own horn a bit, my avatar is a photo of a French lilac I made from fondant. It has about 200 tiny (about 1/4 the size of a pea) sized balls of fondant on wires, each cut into 4 sections then thinned with a ball tool, dried for 3 days then wired together to make the flower. I have another one on the go but I'm busy making mermaid tales tonight so won't be working on flowers.
Old May 17th 2018, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Hang in there Beoz, I feel a thread on French lingerie is about to materialise no doubt further up your ally. The ultimate in chic corsets to follow....
Old May 17th 2018, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Hang in there Beoz, I feel a thread on French lingerie is about to materialise no doubt further up your ally. The ultimate in chic corsets to follow....
Well on the bright side, at least our conversations aren't dominating the landscape today.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
On a French note, and to blow my own horn a bit, my avatar is a photo of a French lilac I made from fondant. It has about 200 tiny (about 1/4 the size of a pea) sized balls of fondant on wires, each cut into 4 sections then thinned with a ball tool, dried for 3 days then wired together to make the flower. I have another one on the go but I'm busy making mermaid tales tonight so won't be working on flowers.
It's lovely Dorothy! Must take some patience to do that.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:27 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
It's lovely Dorothy! Must take some patience to do that.
Blowing her trumpet further. Here it is in all its glory. Sure she won't mind, I had it on my laptop as I'd shown it to a friend.
Attached Thumbnails The Knitting thread-dozza.jpg  

Last edited by moneypenny20; May 17th 2018 at 1:02 pm. Reason: pesky apostrophe removal.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:30 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Blowing her trumpet further. Here it is in all its glory. Sure she won't mind, I had it on my laptop as I'd shown it to a friend.
It's beautiful. So intricate and detailed, Dorothy definitely has fiddly fingers

Last edited by moneypenny20; May 17th 2018 at 1:03 pm. Reason: Being a bit ocd about an apostrophe.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Wowser, that's fantastic. I used to do a bit of cake decorating myself but well out of practice now. I threw a Victoria Sponge together yesterday which is jolly yummy. I'm quite good at baking. Just wish I was an all round domestic goddess who could knit and sew. I've got a sewing machine but don't use it very often because I can never get the tension right on fabrics however hard I try. I used to be able to crochet but I've forgotten how to do that now .
No hope for me I fear.

Last edited by moneypenny20; May 17th 2018 at 1:04 pm. Reason: minor ocd about an apostrophe.
Old May 17th 2018, 12:37 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Wowser, that's fantastic. I used to do a bit of cake decorating myself but well out of practice now. I threw a Victoria Sponge together yesterday which is jolly yummy. I'm quite good at baking. Just wish I was an all round domestic goddess who could knit and sew. I've got a sewing machine but don't use it very often because I can never get the tension right on fabrics however hard I try. I used to be able to crochet but I've forgotten how to do that now .
No hope for me I fear.
Crochet might be like bike riding, once learned never forgotten? Might be worth a try!

How's your recovery going VS? Do you think the pain is gradually lessening? I hope so x
Old May 17th 2018, 12:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Crochet might be like bike riding, once learned never forgotten? Might be worth a try!

How's your recovery going VS? Do you think the pain is gradually lessening? I hope so x
I tried about a year ago and I remembered bits but the tension was all wrong and I got frustrated and gave up.

Not too bad thanks. Got a bad case of the anaesthetic blues in the past week, which is normal for me but hard to go through. Pain is generally ok, gets worse in the evening especially if I'm bloated. Main pain is in my hips and thighs especially on the right side. I've lost a lot of muscle mass over the 2+ years of having the mesh in, so it's a case of trying to build that back up gradually. Try to go for a wee walk most days and have physio exercises to do. I'm also down about being back in NZ, it always takes me a while to settle when I get back here. The crap housing, cost of food etc and the lack of choice always gets me down. I'll get over it eventually. Do wish the OH could get a job in Melbourne or somewhere nice in the UK.
Old May 17th 2018, 1:07 pm
Concierge

I tried about a year ago and I remembered bits but the tension was all wrong and I got frustrated and gave up.

Not too bad thanks. Got a bad case of the anaesthetic blues in the past week, which is normal for me but hard to go through. Pain is generally ok, gets worse in the evening especially if I'm bloated. Main pain is in my hips and thighs especially on the right side. I've lost a lot of muscle mass over the 2+ years of having the mesh in, so it's a case of trying to build that back up gradually. Try to go for a wee walk most days and have physio exercises to do. I'm also down about being back in NZ, it always takes me a while to settle when I get back here. The crap housing, cost of food etc and the lack of choice always gets me down. I'll get over it eventually. Do wish the OH could get a job in Melbourne or somewhere nice in the UK.
Ahh you poor love Those bloody GAs take a while to rid of don't they. The time and effort required to get back to full health wouldn't be helping either. You're doing all the right things though and can't do more, I feel for you xx

Is your OH looking for work in Melbourne and/or the UK, or is he reluctant to leave NZ?
Old May 17th 2018, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Ahh you poor love Those bloody GAs take a while to rid of don't they. The time and effort required to get back to full health wouldn't be helping either. You're doing all the right things though and can't do more, I feel for you xx

Is your OH looking for work in Melbourne and/or the UK, or is he reluctant to leave NZ?
So kind of you. I love this site, I've received some great help and messages of support and well wishes from lots of folk.

OH would be happy to move to Oz but isn't actively looking right now. He's finding working in NZ increasingly frustrating. So I'm hoping that will spur him on. He loves wombats too and I'm using that as a carrot 😂.

Anyway I still can't knit!
Old May 18th 2018, 12:09 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

So kind of you. I love this site, I've received some great help and messages of support and well wishes from lots of folk.

OH would be happy to move to Oz but isn't actively looking right now. He's finding working in NZ increasingly frustrating. So I'm hoping that will spur him on. He loves wombats too and I'm using that as a carrot 😂.

Anyway I still can't knit!
Move to Perth and I'll teach you.
Old May 18th 2018, 12:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Where is Christmasoompa.

She needs to see that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.