Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Kindle Fire vs Kindle Touch - opinions?

Kindle Fire vs Kindle Touch - opinions?

Old May 20th 2012, 10:04 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kindle Fire vs Kindle Touch - opinions?

I have the 3G keyboard version, I had to buy Deb one as she soon became addicted to mine. I got her the normal wifi one as we mainly read the same authors & have good net access, easy to sync books.
Since I got the Galaxy I've downloaded the kindle app & it syncs automatically to my kindle. That way if I'm waiting at the coffee shop for Deb to finish shopping I can simply read my book via the phone.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:06 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Ha yeah! WOW never thought about the free 3G, would've been handy as when I was stuck in the likes of London/Singapore etc wanting to contact people in NI on my way to the UK! Pretty much sold...now just to see if I get it from Dick's or amazon.com....hmm decisions decisions...
Mine has saved my bum a couple of times.

Its either that or find a kiosk, buy a local sim card, put it in the iPhone, change the settings in the iPhone etc.

Far easier to just pick up the Kindle. I seems to work all over the place. Mine gave me free 3g in the UK, Dubai, Fiji, Tonga and Indonesia.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:15 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I have the 3G keyboard version, I had to buy Deb one as she soon became addicted to mine. I got her the normal wifi one as we mainly read the same authors & have good net access, easy to sync books.
Since I got the Galaxy I've downloaded the kindle app & it syncs automatically to my kindle. That way if I'm waiting at the coffee shop for Deb to finish shopping I can simply read my book via the phone.
Im always amazed that it knows what page I have got to, and so when I open the same book on an iPhone or iPad it opens at the right page. THATS clever.
Old May 20th 2012, 11:09 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Basically:
Kindle Touch : e-Ink, so it will last ages and ages on a single charge. Also is easy to read in full sunlight, but if it gets dark you need an add-on reading light. However, is an Amazon marketing platform, so you are stuck with buying from them - mind Kindle does rule the eBook world, so its not a bad place to be.

Kindle Fire : TFT screen, so usage between charges is limited. However it you want to read in bed you don't have to faff about with dumb light. Also, can be used for more than just reading books (movies, music, apps) and has access to all usual Kindle stuff. Is in the ideal 7" paperback page format, which it right for reading books (longer than the e-Ink versions. However is not a full tablet and tries to limit you in what you can do with it.

ipad : TFT screen, so all the expected limits on read time, but benefits of illumination. Can access Kindle books via an app, but not as good because apple get in the way. Incompatibility between Kindle and Apple formats. Screen shape is dumb for reading and size makes it difficult to hold. Silly prices and inability to add more storage. Apple walled garden keeps you forking over.

Google Nexus Tablet (soonish) : TFT screen, and 7" form factor, but a full tablet with full access to large number of apps. Can run Kindle app, or anyone's, giving you flexibility. Prices will be less than Kindle Fire, much less than Apple.
My suggestion is the Nexus Tablet, or similar competitor, coupled with a cheap e-Ink reader (you can pick them up <$100) and Calibre, is the best move. You get sensible prices, sensible form factors, flexibility to do many things with it - and can switch over to e-Ink when you are in situations that need it. I'd avoid Amazon or Apple efforts because of the way they are trying to use the device as an in to rip you off with content prices.
Old May 20th 2012, 11:24 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

I too an contempleting a Kindle - Jenny, ordering the Kindle touch 3G from amazon.com is $100 cheaper than Dick Smith

Lynn x
Old May 20th 2012, 11:28 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Ha yeah! WOW never thought about the free 3G, would've been handy as when I was stuck in the likes of London/Singapore etc wanting to contact people in NI on my way to the UK! Pretty much sold...now just to see if I get it from Dick's or amazon.com....hmm decisions decisions...
Be aware http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394003,00.asp

They have limited it down from what it used to be.
Old May 20th 2012, 11:42 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by GarryP
Be aware http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2394003,00.asp

They have limited it down from what it used to be.
Only on the new models - the keyboard 3G still has free 3G browsing...
Old May 20th 2012, 9:11 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the4ofus
I too an contempleting a Kindle - Jenny, ordering the Kindle touch 3G from amazon.com is $100 cheaper than Dick Smith

Lynn x
$100, u sure, I worked it out, with postage, at about $40 cheaper?
Old May 21st 2012, 8:33 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f=famstripe_kt

So the kindle touch with the 'special offers' is apparently when the kindle is in sleep mode, advertisements appear and also at the bottom of the menu screen, is that the only difference, or is there more to it? There's a $40 difference between it and the standard kindle touch...

EDIT - Well that's a loada owl keek, the kindle special offers can't be shipped to Oz, looks like it's gonna be the next model up, GRRRR

EDIT NUMBER 2 - looks like they won't ship the basic kindle touch here either!? WTF?!

Last edited by Jen1977ni; May 21st 2012 at 9:04 am.
Old May 21st 2012, 9:03 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f=famstripe_kt

So the kindle touch with the 'special offers' is apparently when the kindle is in sleep mode, advertisements appear and also at the bottom of the menu screen, is that the only difference, or is there more to it? There's a $40 difference between it and the standard kindle touch...

EDIT - Well that's a loada owl keek, the kindle special offers can't be shipped to Oz, looks like it's gonna be the next model up, GRRRR
That's why Deb ended up with the wifi model, we tried to order one from the USA no deal
Old May 21st 2012, 9:09 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Originally Posted by cresta57
That's why Deb ended up with the wifi model, we tried to order one from the USA no deal
Bugger, can't believe they don't deliver to here anymore, I got my OH's his from the US! GRRRRR

EDIT (AGAIN) Ordered it from the US site, saving myself $25 on the Australian price, even with shipping! I'd rather that $25 was in my pocket than theirs! lol

Last edited by Jen1977ni; May 21st 2012 at 9:23 am.
Old May 22nd 2012, 2:04 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Kindle Fire. More than happy with it for my usage. Took it on holiday for 'by the pool' posing and use it whilst waiting for kids at Clubs.

It saves my eyes from the iphone if I want to do some net surfing of an evening.

I bought mine from a US Ebay site when the Fire was just launched as they weren't shipping here. Same price as Dick Smith for the WiFi b&w model.

I'm not a 'hard core' user, but I'm quite impressed with it.

J
Old May 25th 2012, 7:33 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

So my kindle touch arrived today, (4 days from the US) LOVE IT! Even better still all the books I have were given to me by my brother, BONUS! YAY, HUNGER GAMES HERE WE COME! LOL
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

the4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud ofthe4ofus has much to be proud of

So my kindle touch arrived today, (4 days from the US) LOVE IT! Even better still all the books I have were given to me by my brother, BONUS! YAY, HUNGER GAMES HERE WE COME! LOL
Jenny, did your brother give you the books in e book form? if so, any way you can get the 3rd book to me? Hav eyou found any sites to download from apart from the kindle store?

Cheers, Lynn x
Old Jun 6th 2012, 10:47 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Yes Lynn, PM me your email addy and I'll fling it on over to ya sista lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.