Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Keeping savings in UK

Wikiposts

Keeping savings in UK

Old Jan 7th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all
Default Re: Keeping savings in UK

You pay 20% nominal tax in the UK. When in Oz, you offset this against the tax liability.
The 20% uk tax bit i understand. I don't understand the next bit. What should i do with it??

There is no 6 months deadline.
Ok.
What happens in terms of the alleged "profit" from exchange rate at "landing" ,to completion of funds transfer, if exchange rate greater than "landing rate?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a permanent resident in Australia you are liable for tax on your Worldwide income including interest from foreign bank accounts.

There is a double taxation agreement with the UK which means that you will be credited against Australia tax for any tax paid in the UK.

G
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rightruccus
The 20% uk tax bit i understand. I don't understand the next bit. What should i do with it??

Ok.
What happens in terms of the alleged "profit" from exchange rate at "landing" ,to completion of funds transfer, if exchange rate greater than "landing rate?
We have not been here to do a tax return yet, so just making comment. I assume on the Oz tax form there will be a section on foreign investments and incomes. There should be provision for tax paid.

This level of detail is beyond me. The ato web site should help you more.

It is always difficult replying to these threads with assumptions rather than facts, so I apologise for that, but you seem to want to know specifcs, so should maybe get some professional advice.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:06 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlap
but you seem to want to know specifcs, so should maybe get some professional advice.
Good advice

G
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rightruccus
This is considered a captial gain, in which case you pay tax on the gain, or of it is a loss you can carry it forward until you can offset it against a gain in the future. (whether it is alleged or not you still have to pay tax)
Old Jan 7th 2009, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Thanks everyone. All advice perceived or factual is good to know from anothers viewpoint and is appreciated.

Moral of the whole sorry tale? Stick your money under the mattress so no one can take a slice of it!! Your granny used to do it!, you should listen to your granny!!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

Thanks to all replies.
I'll be going over on a residecy visa so I'm guessing I'm better off leaving the money in UK paying normal tax until such times (hopefully when the exchange improves) that I can transfer across. I'll be getting a TFN ASAP on arrival. Has anyone thought it was worthwhile transferring 50k over anyway despite the exchange rates? or does this entail more of a loss? ie exchange rate v. oz interest rates god I'm getting confused now!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflower7
Has anyone thought it was worthwhile transferring 50k over anyway despite the exchange rates? or does this entail more of a loss? ie exchange rate v. oz interest rates god I'm getting confused now!
You can always transfer sterling to a sterling account here. Then you can give the bank your TFN and pay no tax until you file your Oz tax return. I would be happier keeping a large sum like that in an Oz bank where it is guaranteed against loss than some of the dodgy banks in the UK. Plus you can go into the bank, withdraw it and then pay it back in just to make sure the bank still has it!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

sunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to allsunflower7 is a name known to all

LOL you have a good point there!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

carlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant futurecarlap has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by NedKelly
You can always transfer sterling to a sterling account here. Then you can give the bank your TFN and pay no tax until you file your Oz tax return. I would be happier keeping a large sum like that in an Oz bank where it is guaranteed against loss than some of the dodgy banks in the UK. Plus you can go into the bank, withdraw it and then pay it back in just to make sure the bank still has it!
Do you have any recommendations for a sterling account here. Most seem to rip you off in charges or eventual exchange rates if you bank in another currency (when looking in UK), or give terrible interest.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Do you have any recommendations for a sterling account here. Most seem to rip you off in charges or eventual exchange rates if you bank in another currency (when looking in UK), or give terrible interest.
Most banks will open up a deposit account in sterling. HSBC do a multicurrency account and so do NAB. Both pay reasonable interest. Check online or give them a call.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:38 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by innojuk
Interest, what interest. They are talking about another 1/2 % cut in rates at the next meeting which will put it below 2% base rate, so goodness only knows what that will mean for savers.
Its already at 1.5% now - the lowest in the BoEs 315 year history.
Absolutely unchartered territory but it is expected to drop another 1% to .5% by Summer (in Europe) apparently.

The US and Japan are already efffectively at 0% so it is certainly not an unrealistic prediction.

More than 7m people in the UK now have saving accounts that already pay interest of 1pc or less.
Just over six months ago, savers were enjoying rates touching 7pc. The speed of the change is mind numbing.

If you are not in a hurry to get at your money, why not put it into a fixed rate bond ?
4.55% on a short term 6 month winter bond with Chelsea Building Society for example (matures July 2009)

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Jan 8th 2009 at 11:44 am.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Slightly off topic here, although it is another alternative to UK savings and maybe a way to maximise returns (might post as separate topic).

Does anyone know of good current / savings accounts for kids (13 year old). I have just got a TFN for him (get at any age for life) and as Oz banks do not withold tax (pay at year end), effectively we can use his account for tax free savings. However, most kids accounts have poor interest or conditions / fees etc.

We would like a current account for him to access some cash and a savings account with 'good' interest - mostly for our money up to HIS tax free allowance -which I understand is $420 of interest earnings - thanks to BE member abcdiamond's website http://www.britzinoz.com/index.htm. So I guess that is approx $8k tax free at 5% interest.

There are headline deals, eg 10% (Bankwest), but you deposit up to $250 a month and no withdrawals, plus need their child account which is not so great. Have looked around (honest !) but hoped someone has already found the good deals.

Last edited by carlap; Jan 8th 2009 at 2:33 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

(13 year old). I have just got a TFN for him (get at any age for life)
hmmm... TFN for a 13 year old!

Just goes to show that you are never too young to pay taxes to the government!

Em x
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Absolute rubbish, the 6 month rule only applies to pension transfers, you can keep as much in the UK as you like, for as long as you like. You will also only pay tax on the interest at your top rate of tax. Any tax paid in the UK can be offset against what you may have to pay here.
Absolutely true.
But if you then transfer that money into Aus at rate higher than that when you became "permanent" you will have to pay the tax on the capital gain. The tax will be your own marginal tax rate.
However I believe if you are on a 457 or temporary visa this rule does not apply. I know my OH could bring her pension in after the 6 month rule tax free as she is TR at the mo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.