Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Just wondering.. will electrical items be useable?

Just wondering.. will electrical items be useable?

Old May 7th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all
Default Just wondering.. will electrical items be useable?

prob been asked before but couldnt find it anywhere......

i read somewhere that uk washing machines, dryers and fridges worked in oz with plug adaptor, but that they didnt seem to last long as they had to work harder with oz voltage

also will my tv work?? was told it would if we ran it through dvd

being rubbish with electrical items, i have no idea.

basically is it worth taking them (they are only a year old)
Old May 7th 2008, 12:23 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just wondering.. will electrical items be useable?

Originally Posted by badassbrickie

i read somewhere that uk washing machines, dryers and fridges worked in oz with plug adaptor, but that they didnt seem to last long as they had to work harder with oz voltage

Yes they'll work.

Fridges seem ok but many (fridge sellers) claim UK ones arent up to it. Just check yours doesnt have CFCs in it or they'll will charge you to have it destroyed.

Washing machines etc fine.

TV - probably if 1 y.o. There can be some tuner issues but ussually these can be overcome - worse case plug in set top box.
Much cheaper to ship than sell sceond hand and go again.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Washing machine ok, change the plug
Dryer ok, change the plug
Fridge - I wouldn't, UK ones are too small and not designed for the climate.

Modern Tv will work either 100% or will need a set-top box to get the sound out [really cheap here now] as the TV signal here has sound transmitted on a different signal. UK voltages are in theory about 10V less than Australia but in practice the effect is negligible so UK stuff will work here with a new plug.

Note : DO NOT plug fridges/washers/dryers into UK->Aus adapters - they are high current appliances and these adapters are not designed for that use - the plugs would need to be cut-off and rewired with australian plugs. Otherwise you will have a fire risk.
Old May 7th 2008, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

badassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to allbadassbrickie is a name known to all

thanks so wash mac, dryer and tv are coming to oz as well!
Old May 7th 2008, 12:34 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Modern Tv will work either 100% or will need a set-top box to get the sound out [really cheap here now] as the TV signal here has sound transmitted on a different signal.
Depending on your TV ths can be overcome. I had the issue and after much digging into deep hidden menus got sound working.
NB DTV is an issue and probably will require an STB when analogue is switched off.
Old May 7th 2008, 2:57 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Bring everything. It will all work here. The myth about UK fridges is a load of rubbish. I have 2 UK fridges and they work just fine.

So, as you already have all of ths stuff, bring it.
Old May 7th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Depending on your TV ths can be overcome. I had the issue and after much digging into deep hidden menus got sound working.
NB DTV is an issue and probably will require an STB when analogue is switched off.
Our tv is about 8 years old would it be worth bringing that or is it too old?
Old May 7th 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Inglewhite
Our tv is about 8 years old would it be worth bringing that or is it too old?
I would bring it...
Old May 8th 2008, 11:00 am
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by justsarah
I would bring it...
Agree, if you have to get a second container to brng it I wouldnt but otherwise yes
Old May 8th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

so (and this is prob a dumb question!) , if you change plugs from uk to oz plugs any electrical item will work? such as hairdryers, irons, kettles etc??
Old May 8th 2008, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: was Bradford then poole dorset then Sydney,Forster, Kanwal,Gosford,and now Erina
FRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond reputeFRAYNE has a reputation beyond repute

so (and this is prob a dumb question!) , if you change plugs from uk to oz plugs any electrical item will work? such as hairdryers, irons, kettles etc??
Yes you can change the plugs on everything,and we brought our small fridge and use it for the beer.
Janet
Old May 8th 2008, 11:22 am
Devil's Advocate

Of course, but a little tip...... bring some trailing socket boards - can save loads of plug changes. For example my HiFi/Tv is still on UK plugs with a UK power feeding the lot. Likewise my office.

In addition its handy to get a handful of single UK trailing sockets and make up mini converter leads - handy for things like chargers which you cant chnage the plug on.