Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Just told my eldest...

Wikiposts

Just told my eldest...

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Streaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond reputeStreaks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just told my eldest...

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
And just to prove that whilst you're dealing with the shitty stuff, along comes something else...

Headlice!

Gotta find the humour ...
ah well, just hope he's caught the little buggers too
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:24 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Streaks
ah well, just hope he's caught the little buggers too
LOL. I think we might all have them....

Have you seen my hair? Oh no!

No battles here, just a sad day we're trying to keep sane.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:27 am
Up Around the Bend

penky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond reputepenky has a reputation beyond repute

I hope they'll be ok.
I'm worried about the little one more I think.... male and vulnerable etc...

OH and I are totally agreed that we're singing from the same hymn sheeet on this...
I wasn't going to tell eldest on her own but actually it just worked like that as she wandered into my room at 6.30am and we lay in bed chatting.
Her reaction is good...she's actually ok.

I'm amazed.
that sounds a nice way that you told her, all relaxed and natural

And just to prove that whilst you're dealing with the shitty stuff, along comes something else...
Headlice!
Gotta find the humour ...
they pick their moments those pesky little bandits don't they! funnily enough I noticed my stepdaughter had them whilst I was in the blue mountains last , its you mountain people isn't it!!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by penky
that sounds a nice way that you told her, all relaxed and natural

they pick their moments those pesky little bandits don't they! funnily enough I noticed my stepdaughter had them whilst I was in the blue mountains last , its you mountain people isn't it!!
Yes, we keep our hair too clean.

Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:09 am

I'm thinking of making hot chocolate and cookies... and then we'll all sit down and have a chat, with the little one on my knee... .

I don't know how else to do it.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:11 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking of making hot chocolate and cookies... and then we'll all sit down and have a chat, with the little one on my knee... .

sounds a good plan to me
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by asher
sounds a good plan to me
Ok... Did anyone write a rule book on this or is it a 'make it up as you go along' thing?

There's definitely a gap in the market.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:15 am
Account Closed

CarolineW is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok... Did anyone write a rule book on this or is it a 'make it up as you go along' thing?

Looks like you have just written it. You have had a tough time and are getting there really well. I don't envy you one bit.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Staff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the roughStaff is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like a plan to me. There's no easy way to do it, but as long as they come out of it knowing (and believing in their bones) that it aint their fault and you both still love THEM (and always will) even if you don't love each other anymore then you'll weather the storm.

Good luck

Staff
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by CarolineW
Looks like you have just written it. You have had a tough time and are getting there really well. I don't envy you one bit.
Gotta keep focussed on the bigger picture... the future...

I think that's the only way.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:21 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

don't think you can write a book on this because different people and children need different approaches and usually mum knows best
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hugs to you and congratulations on raising a sensitive and aware daughter.

Sounds like you are doing it just fine but can only concur with what Staff said - just be sure to make it very clear that it was nothing they said or did, just that the grown ups decided they didnt want to be together any more but that you both love them just as much as you ever did. Little kids often get the wrong end of the stick and I have worked with kids who have thought it was their fault because they didnt keep their rooms tidy or they bashed their little brother. They probably wont know what questions to ask just now and will probably be much more concerned about whether it is time to go out and play with the dog. They will probably come back to you for clarification at times when you least expect it.

Good luck with it! (And remember that if they are having a hard time of it and they are at school, the school counsellor is a good person to talk to about some things you may be able to do)
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by quoll
Hugs to you and congratulations on raising a sensitive and aware daughter.

Sounds like you are doing it just fine but can only concur with what Staff said - just be sure to make it very clear that it was nothing they said or did, just that the grown ups decided they didnt want to be together any more but that you both love them just as much as you ever did. Little kids often get the wrong end of the stick and I have worked with kids who have thought it was their fault because they didnt keep their rooms tidy or they bashed their little brother. They probably wont know what questions to ask just now and will probably be much more concerned about whether it is time to go out and play with the dog. They will probably come back to you for clarification at times when you least expect it.

Good luck with it! (And remember that if they are having a hard time of it and they are at school, the school counsellor is a good person to talk to about some things you may be able to do)
Thanks Quoll. Good points.

Luckily they're in an excellent school and I've been able to alert them so they're expecting this. I know they will be wonderfully supportive.

I've told the eldest and will tell the others that this is not their fault... that their incredible human beings and wonderful children... and that this is an adult thing that maybe they can't understand now but they will do in the future...
I also said we needed to really show them how to be loved and to love and that we were setting a lousy example right now... and that we didn't want to do that. I also said this isn't a fighting thing, that other kids have, where their parents hate each other... that this is just a 'something gone' thing and that it's no-one's fault, just something that happens in relationships sometimes.

Eldest seems ok. She actually said this would be 'interesting' and that 'change is good'...

She's surprised me.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Bless her, she must have known how unhappy you've been for ages. This is probably a relief for her.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by esperanza
Bless her, she must have known how unhappy you've been for ages. This is probably a relief for her.
It's a relief for me so far...

I'm dreading this but suspect it will be ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.