British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Just so thick! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/just-so-thick-378414/)

arkon Jun 9th 2006 12:03 am

Just so thick!

First the context:- I live in rural NSW with a population made up of over 99% Australian's Source:- All the poms live elsewhere in the city and you dare not be anything other than a WASP here. With that in mind........

Everyday something happens that leaves either the wife or myself saying something like “They are just so thick!”

It doesn’t help I suppose that we listen to local radio all day and the current cause for our outbursts are the Blond versus Brunette competition they are running every day. The questions come from the children’s edition of Trivial Pursuit and are questions like:-

Which animal doesn’t have a tail? a) A Monkey, b) A Dingo, c) A Chimpanzee OR
What language did Julius Caesar speak? a) Latin, b) French c) Greek

They almost never answer correctly, in the examples above Caesar apparently spoke Greek and a dingo doesn’t have a tail. I could list more of the questions but I think you get the idea. Before someone says ‘and what makes you so special’ I’ll answer it, I who didn’t think I was that good at quizzes RARELY get a question wrong whereas the callers RARELY get them right.

Then the McDonalds have been running a thing where on the radio they give you a weekly code word like ‘Latte’ or ‘Flat white’ and if you go into McDonalds and order 2 drinks and say the magic word you get one of the drinks for free! Not bad so after it had been running a couple of weeks we decided to try it out. Initially the staff tried to give us a 3rd drink that we didn’t want as they thought the magic word was a request for a drink of that type. Then we explained to them about the offer and how it works and even pointed it out to them on the poster that was hanging beside them on the wall. They had never heard of it and had to get it checked out with management!!! Eventually they found someone that knew about it and let us have our free drink and once again we left saying ‘They are just so thick!’

Then today as these examples come in 3’s, I was playing golf when 4 woman came up to our tee with buggies, one buggy was a fancy 3 wheeled trike that I thought was excellent so told her so. She went on to tell us how great it was and it comes from Canada. As I never heard it running I asked if it was electric? To which she answered no it’s not electric it runs on batteries!!!!!!!

What I have just given as examples are just 3 things that happened in the last few days and not a day goes by without me or the wife thinking that we really have never ever lived somewhere where they are just so thick!

Please no one try and defend them by saying they must all be dyslexic or something as there is really nothing you could say to change my opinion of them. All I can say to Finnish is ‘Bless them….’

CORKER Jun 9th 2006 12:17 am

Re: Just so thick!

Originally Posted by arkon
First the context:- I live in rural NSW with a population made up of over 99% Australian's Source:- All the poms live elsewhere in the city and you dare not be anything other than a WASP here. With that in mind........

Everyday something happens that leaves either the wife or myself saying something like “They are just so thick!”

It doesn’t help I suppose that we listen to local radio all day and the current cause for our outbursts are the Blond versus Brunette competition they are running every day. The questions come from the children’s edition of Trivial Pursuit and are questions like:-

They almost never answer correctly, in the examples above Caesar apparently spoke Greek and a dingo doesn’t have a tail. I could list more of the questions but I think you get the idea. Before someone says ‘and what makes you so special’ I’ll answer it, I who didn’t think I was that good at quizzes RARELY get a question wrong whereas the callers RARELY get them right.

Then the McDonalds have been running a thing where on the radio they give you a weekly code word like ‘Latte’ or ‘Flat white’ and if you go into McDonalds and order 2 drinks and say the magic word you get one of the drinks for free! Not bad so after it had been running a couple of weeks we decided to try it out. Initially the staff tried to give us a 3rd drink that we didn’t want as they thought the magic word was a request for a drink of that type. Then we explained to them about the offer and how it works and even pointed it out to them on the poster that was hanging beside them on the wall. They had never heard of it and had to get it checked out with management!!! Eventually they found someone that knew about it and let us have our free drink and once again we left saying ‘They are just so thick!’

Then today as these examples come in 3’s, I was playing golf when 4 woman came up to our tee with buggies, one buggy was a fancy 3 wheeled trike that I thought was excellent so told her so. She went on to tell us how great it was and it comes from Canada. As I never heard it running I asked if it was electric? To which she answered no it’s not electric it runs on batteries!!!!!!!

What I have just given as examples are just 3 things that happened in the last few days and not a day goes by without me or the wife thinking that we really have never ever lived somewhere where they are just so thick!

Please no one try and defend them by saying they must all be dyslexic or something as there is really nothing you could say to change my opinion of them. All I can say to Finnish is ‘Bless them….’

Sounds like you are integrating well... :rolleyes:

Corker

wanderingwombat Jun 9th 2006 12:18 am

There's the theme song for your movie after the book is published. :D

"Take the last train to Hicksville..." :D

WW

seang Jun 9th 2006 12:24 am

Arkon,
Are you near gosford region?

DunRoaminTheUK Jun 9th 2006 12:26 am

Arkon, come home mate!!

Perthforme Jun 9th 2006 12:27 am

Natural selection doesn't always work mate ! :p

marco121068 Jun 9th 2006 12:30 am

Then the McDonalds...........They had never heard of it and had to get it checked out with management!!!

Would that be the one who's over 15 then? :D

Have you thought about entering this radio competition?

Wife Beater Jun 9th 2006 12:31 am

Lonely im Mr. Lonely, I have nobody.....

Oh, sorry that was Akon. :D

Wol Jun 9th 2006 12:35 am

>>Please no one try and defend them by saying they must all be dyslexic or something as there is really nothing you could say to change my opinion of them. All I can say to Finnish is ‘Bless them….<<

Actually, Arkon, those guys who live alongside reindeer are called "Finns" - and in any case, what do they have to do with rural bushies?

MikeStanton Jun 9th 2006 12:42 am

When we lived in Sydney, our occasional trips into the country were pretty scary. I can deal with the locals being thick, but a lot of them behaved like extras on the set of Deliverance. Maybe there is a lot of in-breeding in Oz, with the locals having that "You're not from around here are you?" attitude. And I'm talking a distance of only ~100kms from Sydney.

And many of these towns have an undercurrent of violence/resentment, fuelled by alcohol, drugs and boredom.

Still, I gather that teaching dingos to dance is a challenging hobby...

Source: thinking of marrying the sister of your choice? Look no further than www.inbred.com.au

NKSK version 2 Jun 9th 2006 12:45 am

I'm having a rest after a bit of a marathon session over the last few days (and the thread was closed)....

So I'll just sit back and count the seconds down until the Source Man reads what you've put...

Better get a copy of the Beano down your pants because he's going to slap your a*se with so much evidence which proves the superior IQ of Australians that you're going to hurt!

Bert'n'Stella Jun 9th 2006 12:54 am

yer I kinda agree with you Arkon. And I'm ozzie. From Sydney but I remember being on the train once from Coffs Harbour - headphones on quite happy to be left alone. I got stuck with the country hicks - one who had never been on a train before and I had to walk with her to the bathroom as she thought she would fall over if she got up while it was moving. Another was real country (like that redneck guy in the Simpsons) who was off to visit 'is girlfriend..... I remember being surprised cause she lived about 100ks away and he looked like he'd never left town in his life....

S

hevs Jun 9th 2006 12:57 am

All I can say to Finnish is ‘Bless them….’

Perhaps its a language thing, being as you are from Finland an all ;) :D

The Norwegian Jun 9th 2006 12:57 am

God I love these threads.

They are almost better than drinking beer and sex with the wife (in that order) :D

Good on you Arkon for providing some entertainment on the forum. :beer:

Erik the Viking

seang Jun 9th 2006 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
yer I kinda agree with you Arkon. And I'm ozzie. From Sydney but I remember being on the train once from Coffs Harbour - headphones on quite happy to be left alone. I got stuck with the country hicks - one who had never been on a train before and I had to walk with her to the bathroom as she thought she would fall over if she got up while it was moving. Another was real country (like that redneck guy in the Simpsons) who was off to visit 'is girlfriend..... I remember being surprised cause she lived about 100ks away and he looked like he'd never left town in his life....

S

Cessnock can be an interesting place as well