Reload this Page >

just saying ... Hello

Wikiposts

just saying ... Hello

Old Feb 7th 2006, 4:25 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: just saying ... Hello

Originally Posted by laverda down under
still think $160 is steep, the way i look at it people dont want to lay out a third of their weekly wage to get the windows cleaned, hence why i charge a max of $80, it may take 30 mins, it may take 2 or 3 hours depending on the windows. dont see the point in charging per hour either..
the thing i struggled with was finding out the going rates, after having people round and quoting i then sat down and thought, gee thats alot of money, and they all worked to "it will cost a minimum of..." and every wuote i thought was outrageous. now ive pretty much laid out all my costs, ive now got to get the customers....which is the hardest part.

ideally just to get a few pennies in each week i need a few shops, but they are all contracted, though i prefer houses as they can be done during the day instead of early hours of the morning lol...
Well I hope you're not under pricing yourself.
Do you do the work on the books? (if you don't mind me asking)
Are you paying any super?
What about insurance?

Re: your point about how long it'll take depending on the windows.
I think this is very important. I would charge extra for leaded windows or large patio windows or difficult to reach widows or windows exposed to salt water.
They all add to your time to complete the job, and time is money.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

laverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nice

Originally Posted by gedge
Well I hope you're not under pricing yourself.
Do you do the work on the books? (if you don't mind me asking)
Are you paying any super?
What about insurance?

Re: your point about how long it'll take depending on the windows.
I think this is very important. I would charge extra for leaded windows or large patio windows or difficult to reach widows or windows exposed to salt water.
They all add to your time to complete the job, and time is money.
My theory is charge less than others..should mean more business...my only out lay with materials is the cleaner, and fuel, the rest is advertising, if i can get fully established then the cost i charge will be sufficient, as yet, id need to do 30 houses to recoup.
Yes all work is through the books, as easy as it is to cheat the tax man in the long run its not worth it. however if someone was adamant they didnt want it through the books, who knows, cross that bgridge when/if i come to it.
As for super, as ive just started up the answer is no, but if i can get this off the ground then i will be.
Insurance is a must, not just for the property, but i have done a few senior people, and most have either wooden or tiled floors, and in general they hover around, so if they were to slip on a drop of water, of which is wiped asap due to dripping, then i have no worries other than making sure they arnt hurt..

i understand your point with regards to the different types of windows, however with the tools i use size isnt really a problem, nor is the salt from the air, the main problem ive come across though is paint spots! i am assuming they are paint, maybe from roof coatings im unsure, now they are the major pain, along with removal of screens, depending of type and age.

in theory it only should take 30-45 mins for an average house, however, as i said im a perfectionist so i take a little longer. if i was running tight then i would speed up, but as yet i have plenty of time.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

still think $160 is steep, the way i look at it people dont want to lay out a third of their weekly wage to get the windows cleaned, hence why i charge a max of $80, it may take 30 mins, it may take 2 or 3 hours depending on the windows. dont see the point in charging per hour either..
the thing i struggled with was finding out the going rates, after having people round and quoting i then sat down and thought, gee thats alot of money, and they all worked to "it will cost a minimum of..." and every wuote i thought was outrageous. now ive pretty much laid out all my costs, ive now got to get the customers....which is the hardest part.

ideally just to get a few pennies in each week i need a few shops, but they are all contracted, though i prefer houses as they can be done during the day instead of early hours of the morning lol...

PM me your details and will spread the word in Redland Bay,maybe some business cards as well eh,i will certainly keep you in mind for mine.Good luck
Donna
Old Feb 7th 2006, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

laverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nicelaverda down under is just really nice

Originally Posted by donna
PM me your details and will spread the word in Redland Bay,maybe some business cards as well eh,i will certainly keep you in mind for mine.Good luck
Donna
Thanks Donna, appreciate your help. and anybody elses
PM sent
Old Feb 8th 2006, 8:12 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds steep. Why does it take 2 hours for 2 windows? or do you mean 2 window cleaners?
Mate has just been quoted $160 for 3 bed house with 2 large sets of paio windows, inside and out. Reckon on about 2 hours for 1 person.
I used to be a window cleaner many years ago, so I've some idea how to price a job.

I meant 2 window cleaners about 1 hour in total so about the same as your friend.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vanessa
I meant 2 window cleaners about 1 hour in total so about the same as your friend.
so are we to assume you live in a mansion ???
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think our rental house is a mansion by any stretch of the imagination, but the quote I got a couple of weeks ago for doing the windows (inside & out + tracks) was $235 :scared: .

He very kindly them gave me a discount which brought it down to $200. Needless to say, I did it myself .
Old Feb 8th 2006, 12:50 pm
ABCDiamond

in theory it only should take 30-45 mins for an average house, however, as i said im a perfectionist so i take a little longer. if i was running tight then i would speed up, but as yet i have plenty of time.
I am curious, how do you handle the windows with security screens, and fly screens that can't be removed ?

Old Feb 8th 2006, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am curious, how do you handle the windows with security screens, and fly screens that can't be removed ?
Mrs Dagboy id have done it for a mximum of $80 oh well never mind...
and as for fly screens that dont move, to be honest i havnt come across any yet, and if/when i do ill let you know lol,however i am under the impression there is a special tool to remove some, and at the moment its not worty my while buying it. but for security screens, ive only come across the bars, and i work through them.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 2:18 pm

Whilst we're fixated with all things window cleaning...
I was bought one of these window cleaning gadgets that does inside and out at the same time.
Magic Window Cleaner
Came from some dodgy Russki on the market for $15.
I was very sceptical but it ain't half bad. We used to live in a penthouse and some of the windows were impossible to clean without employing some dangerous ropes and pulleys!

Has anyone else got any good window cleaning tips or products?
I still swear by warm soapy water, squeegee, cloth and chamois.
Old Feb 8th 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Whilst we're fixated with all things window cleaning...
I was bought one of these window cleaning gadgets that does inside and out at the same time.
Magic Window Cleaner
Came from some dodgy Russki on the market for $15.
I was very sceptical but it ain't half bad. We used to live in a penthouse and some of the windows were impossible to clean without employing some dangerous ropes and pulleys!

Has anyone else got any good window cleaning tips or products?
I still swear by warm soapy water, squeegee, cloth and chamois.
ok trying to take potential business away from me eh lol
ive looked at the "gadget" to be honest, i wouldnt mind seeing one of your windows after use of that, personally i cant see that it does a great job, especially the edges and corners (unlike me ) lol but if your happy thats what counts...oh and do away with the cloth and chamois, use a scrim, or a peice of newpaper is the next best thing...
Old Feb 8th 2006, 5:29 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs Dagboy id have done it for a mximum of $80 oh well never mind...
I have to do them every couple of months because of the tenants in & out, so I'll keep you in mind for both houses next time!
Old Feb 8th 2006, 6:17 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

so are we to assume you live in a mansion ???
Of course not - I live in a Castle!
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
I have to do them every couple of months because of the tenants in & out, so I'll keep you in mind for both houses next time!
You wont be dissapointed i assure you.

and vanessa...does your castle have a mote around it? with crocs in it hahaha, now that would be a good tourest attraction ..
Old Feb 8th 2006, 9:15 pm

ok trying to take potential business away from me eh lol
ive looked at the "gadget" to be honest, i wouldnt mind seeing one of your windows after use of that, personally i cant see that it does a great job, especially the edges and corners (unlike me ) lol but if your happy thats what counts...oh and do away with the cloth and chamois, use a scrim, or a peice of newpaper is the next best thing...
I'm not saying the thing is great, but for a quickjob in hard to reach spots, i.e. higher than a ladder, it's all right. The edges are ok, but the corners are a problem.
You can't beat using proper tools for the job though. I've heard the newspaper one, more often with vinegar? but never tried it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.