Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is it just me or have you and you family ....

Wikiposts

Is it just me or have you and you family ....

Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of
Default Is it just me or have you and you family ....

Is it just me or have you and your family had more illness since moving to Oz?

I love living here but since moving here with my family three years ago we have had more sickness between us than i had in my whole life in the UK!! Between us we have had...Shingles, 3 cases of flu, 25 (well it feels like it) colds, food poisoning (not a contagious illness as such), one case of croup, conjunctivitis, and the current one that my daughter and i have is hand,foot and mouth disease!!!

I am normally such a healthy person. maybe it is not the fact that Australia has more illnesses and more to do with the fact that i have children in daycare. Every time i drop them off there is a new sign on the door for something and i just think "uh oh. here we go again"

What are your experiences?
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me or have you and you family ....

Originally Posted by thebardies

I love living here but since moving here with my family three years ago we have had more sickness between us than i had in my whole life in the UK!! Between us we have had...Shingles, 3 cases of flu, 25 (well it feels like it) colds, food poisoning (not a contagious illness as such), one case of croup, conjunctivitis, and the current one that my daughter and i have is hand,foot and mouth disease!!!

I am normally such a healthy person. maybe it is not the fact that Australia has more illnesses and more to do with the fact that i have children in daycare. Every time i drop them off there is a new sign on the door for something and i just think "uh oh. here we go again"

I think its because there are different germs on this side of the world . . .

Disclaimer: I am not a medical practioner of any description.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Alot of what you are describing are on the contagious nature....the only way to avoid them is handwashing, covering your mouth/nose etc to help avoid the spread of the germ/virus.

I would just say its rotten luck that you've caught so much and daycares are breeding grounds for viruses and such.

By the way, shingles is not contagious...meaning you didn't 'catch' it from someone. Its not really known what brings it on, but some will say stress can do it.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:57 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to Aus is stressful & your resistance is probably low mate.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

maybe it is not the fact that Australia has more illnesses and more to do with the fact that i have children in daycare. Every time i drop them off there is a new sign on the door for something and i just think "uh oh. here we go again"

I know the feeling!! And at my daycare they always use brightly coloured paper and funky fonts for the signs. I feel like telling them that pink paper and Comic Sans doesn't make up for the fact that my baby's about to become infected!

I'm not at work today and tomorrow because my 14 month old has tonsillitis. I was off for two days the week before because he had a virus that caused him to vomit until his little face was grey

I think it's daycare...
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

thebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud ofthebardies has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paularn
Alot of what you are describing are on the contagious nature....the only way to avoid them is handwashing, covering your mouth/nose etc to help avoid the spread of the germ/virus.

I would just say its rotten luck that you've caught so much and daycares are breeding grounds for viruses and such.

By the way, shingles is not contagious...meaning you didn't 'catch' it from someone. Its not really known what brings it on, but some will say stress can do it.
Yes thats a fair point i was pregnant at the time and the low immune system just let that one slip out!!

yes the dr yesterday told me to wear a mask while changing my sons (shes a girl and was dressed in pink. always makes me laugh) nappy. She also prescribed antibiotics even though its a virus and cant be treated!!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I know the feeling!! And at my daycare they always use brightly coloured paper and funky fonts for the signs. I feel like telling them that pink paper and Comic Sans doesn't make up for the fact that my baby's about to become infected!

I'm not at work today and tomorrow because my 14 month old has tonsillitis. I was off for two days the week before because he had a virus that caused him to vomit until his little face was grey

I think it's daycare...
I agree definately daycare. Free nits to all who attend!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's daycare...
Bless!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Bless!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hope the bubs better soon . . .
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spartacus
Hope the bubs better soon . . .
Thank you but he's fine! He might have tonsillitis but that hasn't stopped him laughing, shouting, running around and eating his body weight in biccies.

I just can't send him to Daycare because he's contagious and the next pretty pink poster will be a warning about him!!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:45 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

We found that we were ill when we first arrived but I've got to say we're probably all heaps more healthy now. Even throughout winter we've hardly had any sniffles.
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by herrchook
We found that we were ill when we first arrived but I've got to say we're probably all heaps more healthy now. Even throughout winter we've hardly had any sniffles.
Thats good to hear then. Hopefully next winter we will be a bit healthier!!
Old Sep 14th 2009, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Re: Is it just me or have you and you family ....

We've all got colds at the moment. Caught at daycare. Not bad colds but the ones that hurt your sinuses
Old Sep 14th 2009, 1:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Our family is the complete opposite. In 4 years my eldest has only had 2 days off school and my youngest in 3 years has only had 1. Not an antibiotic has passed through our door, in fact my eldest who is 11 has never had an antibiotic in her life. Healthy people both sides of the world thankfully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.