Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Just got back from English holiday

Just got back from English holiday

Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:26 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of
Default Just got back from English holiday

.......first time we've been back.

No regrets, just thought I'd list some personal observations:-

Things I liked

The tea (you only get an oooooh with Typhoo)
Watching Arsenal live
Seeing friends and family
British countryside (tapestry fields, forests and greenery)
Being able to drive fast on the motorway
Quality of TV (e.g. X Factor p!sses on Australian Idol)

Things I hated

Too many people
Far, far too much traffic
Feeling like a member of the ethnic minority (spent a week in Bradford)
Weather (of course)
Cr@p beaches, and cold sea
Urbanization far too claustrophobic

One great thing that came out of the visit. It appears to people we're not on the moon, and a family holiday once a year is no big deal. So we're now getting visitors at Xmas and Easter.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:28 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Just got back from English holiday

Originally Posted by Dom the Pom

Things I liked

Crikey - if X-factor is quality TV then we're in trouble.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:42 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

They drive at 70mph on their motorways. We drive at 110kph on ours - how do they go faster OK they don't convert exactly but near enough.

It's lovely and green there at the moment because they've had one hell of a lot of water this year

Sounds like you enjoyed your visit.

Last edited by moneypenny20; Sep 10th 2007 at 9:04 am.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:53 am
Banned

Dom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud ofDom the Pom has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypen20
They drive at 70mph on their motorways. We drive at 110kph on hours - how do they go faster OK they don't convert exactly but near enough.:
Because any speed cameras are pre-advised and there aren't as many traffic cops on commission.

You also don't run as much risk of some red necked pr!ck 'legally' over taking you on the inside.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Because any speed cameras are pre-advised and there aren't as many traffic cops on commission.

You also don't run as much risk of some red necked pr!ck 'legally' over taking you on the inside.
ahhh, so you're talking about what you can illegally get away with. OK
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:40 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

They drive at 70mph on their motorways. We drive at 110kph on ours - how do they go faster OK they don't convert exactly but near enough.

It's lovely and green there at the moment because they've had one hell of a lot of water this year

Oh MP you are funny - 70mph on the motorway! The only people who drive at that speed are the grandads in the inside lane who can't see two feet in front of them (thihnk Col Blinky). You have to go at 90 to keep up with the flow! Unless you are on t he M25 and then you will be lucky to hit 20mph.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

110kph is the exception rather than the rule though. most of the motorways/dual carriageways that i've travelled on are 90kph/100kph. even the gold coast highway is 100kph for most of it.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:31 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
110kph is the exception rather than the rule though. most of the motorways/dual carriageways that i've travelled on are 90kph/100kph. even the gold coast highway is 100kph for most of it.
You went back for a holiday soon, Dom! Glad you enjoyed it though.

So, is it too early to call Perth 'home'?

Jules x
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:36 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ub40fan
Oh MP you are funny - 70mph on the motorway! The only people who drive at that speed are the grandads in the inside lane who can't see two feet in front of them (thihnk Col Blinky). You have to go at 90 to keep up with the flow! Unless you are on t he M25 and then you will be lucky to hit 20mph.
90 to keep 'up with the flow' ... anyone that believes that is a rank idiot.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ub40fan
That is so true!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 11:05 am
Where I want to be

ub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond reputeub40fan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
90 to keep 'up with the flow' ... anyone that believes that is a rank idiot.
Thank you for that, I am so glad that people who have never met me or spoken to me feel qualified to judge me.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

lacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond reputelacey21 has a reputation beyond repute

Things I liked

The tea (you only get an oooooh with Typhoo)
Watching Arsenal live
Seeing friends and family
British countryside (tapestry fields, forests and greenery)
Being able to drive fast on the motorway

Things I hated

Too many people
Far, far too much traffic
Feeling like a member of the ethnic minority (spent a week in Bradford)
Weather (of course)
Cr@p beaches, and cold sea
Urbanization far too claustrophobic

One great thing that came out of the visit. It appears to people we're not on the moon, and a family holiday once a year is no big deal. So we're now getting visitors at Xmas and Easter.
Lol Dom,
I know how you feel not been long back myself.

Don't want to go back to the UK though. I am enjoying it here too much lol

It feels like the roads are too small and they are driving at a 1000 miles an hour lol. No like it!

Lace xx

Hope it's all going ok.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by julesandco
You went back for a holiday soon, Dom! Glad you enjoyed it though.

So, is it too early to call Perth 'home'?

Jules x
Not really mate. We were tentative walking through the front door, but had a huge bunch of flowers from the friend checking on our house. She also left a birthday cake from my eldest who was 8 yesterday.

I got a really warm welcome back at work today and Mrs Pom said she couldn't believe the reception she received in the park this afternoon from her new friends. So, that's all made it feel like we've not come back to an alien place.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:08 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lacey21
Lol Dom,
I know how you feel not been long back myself.

Don't want to go back to the UK though. I am enjoying it here too much lol

It feels like the roads are too small and they are driving at a 1000 miles an hour lol. No like it!

Lace xx

Hope it's all going ok.
Cheers Lace

Sorry I haven't been in touch for a while. Had a look out for your hubby at the airport yesterday. But couldn't see anyone sat down reading a book.

Hope things are going well for you all.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 2:12 pm

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

Not really mate. We were tentative walking through the front door, but had a huge bunch of flowers from the friend checking on our house. She also left a birthday cake from my eldest who was 8 yesterday.

I got a really warm welcome back at work today and Mrs Pom said she couldn't believe the reception she received in the park this afternoon from her new friends. So, that's all made it feel like we've not come back to an alien place.
Excellent! Sounds like you've settled well. Bet you're really glad you didn't pick the 'chav-tastic' Secret Harbour It's getting a bad press on here lately - some people have no taste

Look after yourself and happy belated birthday to your eldest.

Jules x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.