Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Just bought an iPhone, recommend your fav or most useful apps!

Just bought an iPhone, recommend your fav or most useful apps!

Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Just bought an iPhone, recommend your fav or most useful apps!

Originally Posted by DeadVim
Moonpig bought one, they like it. PASS.
To be honest though, there won't be major differences between the current and new iPhones. It looks slightly squarer and flatter, and has a front facing camera (who uses those?) and will be slightly quicker as always.

The current iPhone will be getting the new iPhone's software, so it will be like getting a new phone anyway. You will be able to have a wallpaper at long last!!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by xzibit
To be honest though, there won't be major differences between the current and new iPhones. It looks slightly squarer and flatter, and has a front facing camera (who uses those?) and will be slightly quicker as always.

The current iPhone will be getting the new iPhone's software, so it will be like getting a new phone anyway. You will be able to have a wallpaper at long last!!
I've got a wallpaper now can use any photo of my choosing
Old Apr 21st 2010, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pproehann
I've got a wallpaper now can use any photo of my choosing
I meant without JB'ing the phone.

Unless you mean on the lock screen? I meant, you'll be able to have one behind the icons on the springboard. And before people moan that you won't be able to see the picture due to the icons, you can now have a blank springboard too.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

shears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond reputeshears has a reputation beyond repute

Just a useless but nice one - Fluid (not Jeyes, just Fluid).

There's a battery one, can't remember the name, tells you how much stuff you can do with your remaining battery power.

(I don't even own it, it belongs to my 10yo son!! )
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

moonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the roughmoonpig is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everyone for your advise and recommended apps, some I already have like facebook, bubblewrap and flight control. My daughter loves the book app and I'm pondering izen and tetris. The tips for bookmark and enlarging the screen have been brilliant. Will still look at the other recommended apps (shazam has already gone on).

As for buying now and not waiting for the 4gen, that doesn't really bother me because whatever you do in life there's always going to be something shiner and bigger 'round the corner. I'm really pleased with the iPhone, I got a great deal and my life is almost semi-complete (not) I now have to try and prise it from my dd kung fu grip and take ownership of my shiny, very pleasing toy.

Just one more question please, my dd is desperate for an iPhone which just isn't going to happen but I might try and get her an iTouch. Does the iTouch do exactly the same as the iPhone without the call and text facilities? I.E can you still access youtube, internet and download apps with the same ease.

Thanks again for your comments and advice (recommended app Sleepmeter - monitors your sleep patterns and analyses it).

Kind Regards

Moonpig
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 5:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moonpig
Just one more question please, my dd is desperate for an iPhone which just isn't going to happen but I might try and get her an iTouch. Does the iTouch do exactly the same as the iPhone without the call and text facilities? I.E can you still access youtube, internet and download apps with the same ease.
Only if she has access to a wireless environment.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

pproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud ofpproehann has much to be proud of

Another quickie some people don't know about...

The iPod app in the iPhone does have a sleep timer, it turns out. It’s just that it’s so well hidden that I’d never have found it without clues from elsewhere.

To set an iPod sleep timer:

Enter the Clock application
Tap Timer in the bottom right-hand corner
Set a time using the odometer thing
In the ‘When Timer Ends’ menu, instead of an alarm sound, select ‘Sleep iPod’
Tap Start.

Thanks everyone for your advise and recommended apps, some I already have like facebook, bubblewrap and flight control. My daughter loves the book app and I'm pondering izen and tetris. The tips for bookmark and enlarging the screen have been brilliant. Will still look at the other recommended apps (shazam has already gone on).

As for buying now and not waiting for the 4gen, that doesn't really bother me because whatever you do in life there's always going to be something shiner and bigger 'round the corner. I'm really pleased with the iPhone, I got a great deal and my life is almost semi-complete (not) I now have to try and prise it from my dd kung fu grip and take ownership of my shiny, very pleasing toy.

Thanks again for your comments and advice (recommended app Sleepmeter - monitors your sleep patterns and analyses it).

Kind Regards

Moonpig
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

Doodle Jump!!!! Completely and totally annoyingly addictive. Idrag paper - ridiculously stupid, but funny, water slide, Rudolph.....of course, given my user name, ipee drunk, bubble wrap.

Love

Rudi
x
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Glasford will become famous soon enoughGlasford will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pproehann
Another quickie some people don't know about...

The iPod app in the iPhone does have a sleep timer, it turns out. It’s just that it’s so well hidden that I’d never have found it without clues from elsewhere.

To set an iPod sleep timer:

Enter the Clock application
Tap Timer in the bottom right-hand corner
Set a time using the odometer thing
In the ‘When Timer Ends’ menu, instead of an alarm sound, select ‘Sleep iPod’
Tap Start.
Thank you soo much this is the one thing that has really annoyed me about the iPhone since I like to fall asleep with my music on!! Im off to the clock now!!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:53 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Best apps for me: Facebook, Wunder Radio (superb internet radio app), Tweetie, Weatherzone (brilliant weather app), Sygic Maps, Hippo Pro (remote control app), Wordpress, Things (to do lists etc), Dropbox (syncs files with computers), Docs2Go (read and edit MS office docs), 1password (all my logins, bank details etc all secure), Bento, Hipstamatic (superb retro photo app), ABC, iReddit Free, Digg, Hurley Surf, Opera Mini, Westpac, Yellow Pages, White Pages, eBay, Paypal, Amazon, Pocket Cinema, Wotif, TripView, Trapster, Bejeweled 2, geoSpark, Minigore, Tap Tap Revenge and, ermm Voices.

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Lightbulb Re: Just bought an iPhone, recommend your fav or most useful apps!

Originally Posted by Hutch
Best apps for me: Facebook, Wunder Radio (superb internet radio app), Tweetie, Weatherzone (brilliant weather app), Sygic Maps, Hippo Pro (remote control app), Wordpress, Things (to do lists etc), Dropbox (syncs files with computers), Docs2Go (read and edit MS office docs), 1password (all my logins, bank details etc all secure), Bento, Hipstamatic (superb retro photo app), ABC, iReddit Free, Digg, Hurley Surf, Opera Mini, Westpac, Yellow Pages, White Pages, eBay, Paypal, Amazon, Pocket Cinema, Wotif, TripView, Trapster, Bejeweled 2, geoSpark, Minigore, Tap Tap Revenge and, ermm Voices.

And don't forget ringtones

Instructions http://www.ehow.com/how_2160460_cust...ones-free.html

1. Step1
Open iTunes.

2. Step2
Find the song that you want to make into a ringtone.

3. Step3
Listen to the song and find the part of it you want to use. The chorus may be a good place to start.

4. Step4
Write down the start and stop times of the clip.

5. Step5
Right-click the song and select "Get Info."

6. Step6
Click the "Options" tab.

7. Step7
Type in the start time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Start Time" in the minutes:seconds (i.e. 2:01) format.

8. Step8

Type in the end time of your ringtone in the text box next to "Stop Time." Make sure the ringtone is no more than 40 seconds long.

9. Step9
Click "OK."
10. Step10
Right-click your song again and select "Convert Selection to AAC." Wait for iTunes to convert your song. It will create a duplicate version.

11. Step11
Right-click the ringtone and select "Delete."

12. Step12
Click on the "Keep Files" button.

13. Step13
Find the file. It's usually in your User folder under Music > iTunes > iTunes Music and under the band's name. It will have an extension of "m4a."

14. Step14

Replace the "m4a" extension of your ringtone with "m4r". You can either double-click slowly to rename your file, or right-click and select "Get Info" on a Mac or "Rename" on a Windows PC.

15. Step15

Click "Use .m4r" or the PC equivalent when the system warns you that the change may affect the use of your file.

16. Step16

Double-click the ringtone file. ITunes will automatically add it to your ringtones folder in your iTunes Music Library.

17. Step17
Connect your iPhone and sync your ringtones.
How to Change a File Extension in Windows
This page shows you how to change the name of a file extension in Windows XP. For example, you might want to change a file called mypage.htm to mypage.php, or myvideo.vob to myvideo.mpg. We use Windows XP for this example but the same process applies to most versions of Windows.

Changing a file extension should only be done if you are confident it's the right thing to do. There are many reasons for changing an extension — sometimes it's fairly straightforward, sometimes it's a bit of a gamble. When you change an extension, one of three things is likely to happen:

• It won't make any difference to how the computer deals with the file.
• It will enable some programs to recognize and work with a file, while other programs may no longer recognize it.
• It will not have any useful effect and the file will no longer open properly.
Windows Explorer
The first thing to do is open Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and view the file you wish to change. We will use the example of a file called myfile.rtf which we want to change to myfile.txt. It looks like this in Windows Explorer:

At this stage you might notice that your file does not appear to have an extension (in the above example it would simply be called myfile). This is probably because you have Windows set to hide extension names. Go to Tools > Folder Options, then click the View tab. Uncheck the box titled "Hide extensions for known file types" like so:

Click OK. Now you should be able to see the file extensions for all files. Right-click the file name and select Rename. Enter the new extension like so:

After entering the new extension, hit the Enter (return) key. Windows will give you a warning that the file may not work properly. This is quite safe — if the file does stop working you can always change the extension back (just make sure you remember what it was!).

It's also possible that you might get another message telling you that the file is "read-only". In this case either say yes to turning off read-only, or right-click the file, select Properties and uncheck the Read-only box.

Note: Windows treats file extensions as case-insensitive, i.e. .RTF is the same as .rtf. However other operating systems do not, and will treat myfile.RTF andmyfile.rtf as two different files. Therefore it is good practice to always treat your files as case-sensitive for maximum compatibility. This is especially crucial if you are going to use the files on the Internet. We strongly recommend that you get into the habit of using all lower-case letters for all file names and extensions.

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

My best apps :

eBuddy
Evernote
Air Mouse
Arsenal
Dynolicious
eBay
OzWeather
Apple Remote
Trapster
tvGuide
TuneIn Radio
Urbanspoon
WhatsApp
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 11:42 am
on the Goldie

thewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond reputethewoodz has a reputation beyond repute

mine doesn't keep very good time - which can be a pain when you are relying on the alarm to wake you up prob because we live near nsw border and poor thing gets confused - great phone otherwise tho
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by thewoodz
mine doesn't keep very good time - which can be a pain when you are relying on the alarm to wake you up prob because we live near nsw border and poor thing gets confused - great phone otherwise tho
If daylight savings comes in for QLD it may improve.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 3:15 pm
darrens1

darrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nicedarrens1 is just really nice

Well I've finally taken the plunge after much coverting and bought a iPhone. I love this phone!!!!
Ok being an iphone virgin I thought I'd start a thread for any of you techno loving people out there to tell me their:-

1. Favorite apps.
2. Most addictive apps.
3. Useless and wished they hadn't bothered apps.
4. You must have this or your life isn't worth living apps.
5. Most bizarre app (anybody have Ipoo out there?)

I leave this in all your capable, learned and sometimes perverted hands.

Moonpig
I love my iphone its great better than what I thought, should of had one months ago. Apps : XE.COM. impossible test, sky news, file sharing , bump (bluetooth by bumping), iphone tv catchup (mobile TV) i handy tool. etc etc

Enjoy !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.