Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

June 07 visa applicants

June 07 visa applicants

Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:26 am
West Yorkshire to Cairns!

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice
Default Re: June 07 visa applicants

Originally Posted by lolylew
just finished watching the programme - you didnt look silly, i think todays was the best episode so far , cairns looks beautiful.
have a fab life there - when are you going?

lisa
ahh thanks, we've just watched it hiding behind cushions! Wasn't as bad as we were expecting phew! I cried a lot! Adam was a bit upset they cut his sister out as he had made a point of how much he was going to miss seeing her grow up and they cut my friends out too! But all in all I think it was a fair portrayl of what happened, there's only so much they can show in 45 mins! And I WILL work as a marine bio! We saw another mortgage advisor when we were out there who said we'd get the mortgage we want for the dream house without me having a contract job so happy days! Seems they'll lend however much we want as long as we can put 20% deposit down, so dream house here we come!

Cairns is such a beautiful place we just can't wait to go. We need to sell our house first to get that dream house so as soon as its sold we're off, hopefully be going in June.

xxx
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

MANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really niceMANDS14 is just really nice

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Huge congrats to those recently got visas yippee the wait is over! Good luck to those of you still waiting it can't be long now, hang on in there, sending lots of good karma

If you fancy a laugh hubby and I are on this morning's Wanted Down Under on BBC1 at 9:15am trying out life in Cairns! Really scared at how we're going to come across/get edited! Hope we don't look like idiots!

Anyone more Junies going to Cairns?

xxx
hI foxyRutie

I thought you and hubby came across as a really lovely couple- very close and in love! Good luck with your new adventure and I hope you do succeed in your marine biology aspirations.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:30 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done on todays show not a june applicant (March) sorry for butting in.

We are heading out to Cairns so a great insight.

Well done you
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:32 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry forgot to ask how much did hubby have to earn to get that much money to lend missed that bit.

Was that youngy your hubby was talking to always pictured him being older.

Thanks

Last edited by wardy2; Jan 10th 2008 at 9:34 am.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

al150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to beholdal150n is a splendid one to behold

Huge congrats to those recently got visas yippee the wait is over! Good luck to those of you still waiting it can't be long now, hang on in there, sending lots of good karma

If you fancy a laugh hubby and I are on this morning's Wanted Down Under on BBC1 at 9:15am trying out life in Cairns! Really scared at how we're going to come across/get edited! Hope we don't look like idiots!

Anyone more Junies going to Cairns?

xxx
I don't think you looked silly. I was sat here sniveling through your messages from your friends & family :embaressed_smile: Normally that bit gets to me probably as it'll be a reality to us at some point leaving everyone behind but yours really got me going for some reason. Glad hubby's at work as he'd think I was a right soppy ar*e

I try & watch it every morning & often wonder if the families shown really do go for it & take the plunge so you've answered that question for me! Good luck!!

Alison
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:40 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

ahh thanks, we've just watched it hiding behind cushions! Wasn't as bad as we were expecting phew! I cried a lot! Adam was a bit upset they cut his sister out as he had made a point of how much he was going to miss seeing her grow up and they cut my friends out too! But all in all I think it was a fair portrayl of what happened, there's only so much they can show in 45 mins! And I WILL work as a marine bio! We saw another mortgage advisor when we were out there who said we'd get the mortgage we want for the dream house without me having a contract job so happy days! Seems they'll lend however much we want as long as we can put 20% deposit down, so dream house here we come!

Cairns is such a beautiful place we just can't wait to go. We need to sell our house first to get that dream house so as soon as its sold we're off, hopefully be going in June.

xxx

good luck to you both, you deserve it!

its a shame they cant send you a copy of all the footage taken , love the bit at the end in the pool

go for your dream house! - we always have and dont regret it for a minute (it'll save you having to move again & paying loads for the privilege, estate agents, removals, tax etc...)

hope all goes well for you.

lisa
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:41 am
aka DORIS

There were 2 families on last years WDU on another forum that definately made the move i think one of them has an update show in this series both live on the gold coast.

And there were a couple of here 2 not sure if they are still around
Old Jan 10th 2008, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wardy2
There were 2 families on last years WDU on another forum that definately made the move i think one of them has an update show in this series both live on the gold coast.

And there were a couple of here 2 not sure if they are still around

my friend moved to adelaide last year & used to speak to someone on a south oz forum who definately made the move. so thats another one
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

xxx
Watched the show this morning, seems funny now talking to you on here! lol

You seem like a lovely couple with your heads screwed on so I'm sure that you'll do well over there and no doubt have your dream house!

Everytime I watch the show it makes me want to go back, especially as we returned (from Perth) without obtaining our citizenship.

Good luck with your house sale.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:24 am

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice

Thanks for all your lovely messages we were so worried about how we'd come across, especially being a young couple and all the other programmes show families with children, not sure how we got on the programme to be honest!

wardy2 - yup that was youngy that Adam was talking to, we had a very good day/night out with him in Cairns whilst we were there he's a great laugh!
The mortgage calcs were based on Adam earning $70k which is what he was told he'd earn on this alone we could borrow $420k and if I work too then pretty much anything up to $700k! So its more of what we can afford to pay back on a monthly basis rather than how much we can borrow!

When we were travelling in Oz I actually worked as a Marine Biologist on one of the boats in Cairns (they didn't show that bit!) and it wasn't that hard to get the job, got in within 24hours of being in Cairns!) so that's what I'll be looking to do when we get there. To be honest marine work is what I love doing but at the end of the day we plan on having children soon after moving to Oz and I'd stay at home with them anyways so really its Adam's job that most important and that worked out great, phew! So we're going for the dream house!

Just have to sell the house... anyone want it??? Its been on telly!! ha ha!

xxx
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by wafc
Watched the show this morning, seems funny now talking to you on here! lol

You seem like a lovely couple with your heads screwed on so I'm sure that you'll do well over there and no doubt have your dream house!

Everytime I watch the show it makes me want to go back, especially as we returned (from Perth) without obtaining our citizenship.

Good luck with your house sale.
Hi wafc

can I ask what made you come back? You don;t have to answer if its too personal. Its something we have to consider that it won't work and we'll have to come back, just something you don't want to face.

xx
Old Jan 10th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi wafc

can I ask what made you come back? You don;t have to answer if its too personal. Its something we have to consider that it won't work and we'll have to come back, just something you don't want to face.

xx
No problem,

It was a number of things really, home/people sickness, house prices, lack of suitable jobs etc.

The first couple of months we were there I thought we would never return to the UK but it was only around the 4 month or so mark that we started having thoughts of wanting to return home. I think its when holiday mode ends and normality and reality sets in!

We are also a young couple (me 29 and her 24) and I pretty much got my visa through the back door, I only just sneaked in I think as I'm not really a skilled worker so to speak. I've worked in a law firm for the past 10 years just doing general office work and also some IT Support for the past 3 years. My gf also isn't in skilled employment so we both found it very difficult to find suitable jobs in Perth.

We were unlucky in the fact that during us applying for the visa the house prices in Perth probably more than doubled! Great timing! So with us being first time buyers, coupled with struggling to find decent jobs, the very high house prices in Perth just meant that we would really struggle to get on the ladder, even more so than in the UK.

Also with all that we were then starting to miss people and the UK in general, all my gf's family were back in the UK and she has a young niece and nephew who she is very close to and so that was tough. I dont think anyone can realise how much you can miss home and people etc until you're actually out there and living there.

We then had the decision as to stick it out for 2 years for citizenship (which I often think we should've done) or bite the bullet and head home as we saw no prospects for ourselves out there, and 2 years is a very long time when you're unhappy. So after 6 months in Perth we came back, we arrived back home in June last year.

Maybe we just went to the wrong part of Oz but to be honest I just think that because of our employment background we'd probably struggle in most parts.

I do often want to go back, mainly just to secure the citizenship initially, but I dont think that my gf would return and have the upheaval again, so I'm not quite sure what the future holds at the minute.

From what I've seen of your circumstances though and your husband being an electrician I'm sure you could make it work. Does your husband have to go through all the aussie red tape/tests etc before he can work as an electrician in Oz?

I wish you all the best with the move and your new life in Oz anyway. I'm sure you'll both be fine.

Stu

Last edited by wafc; Jan 10th 2008 at 10:53 am.
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:01 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 - yup that was youngy that Adam was talking to, we had a very good day/night out with him in Cairns whilst we were there he's a great laugh!
The mortgage calcs were based on Adam earning $70k which is what he was told he'd earn on this alone we could borrow $420k and if I work too then pretty much anything up to $700k! So its more of what we can afford to pay back on a monthly basis rather than how much we can borrow!

xxx

thanks for that given us something to think about.

Who knew Youngy was so handsome imagined him to be a bearded grumpy old man dont tell him I said that being married to a geordie myself I know they sometimes lack a sense of humour only joking.

Kaye
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by wafc
No problem,

It was a number of things really, home/people sickness, house prices, lack of suitable jobs etc.

Stu
I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you and your gf but its a brave decision to admit it didn't work and face up to it and come back, its not that bad in the UK!! It's reality that the grass isn't always greener but like us you moved when young so don't have as much to lose or as much upheaval as those with children. We think now is the best time for us to give it our best shot before we have a family, we are very aware that it might not work and will have to come back, I think as long as you're prepared for the worse and are there for each other then it'll work out whether you stay in Oz or come back to the UK.

Anyways I wish you all the best for your future wherever it lies
xx
Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you and your gf but its a brave decision to admit it didn't work and face up to it and come back, its not that bad in the UK!! It's reality that the grass isn't always greener but like us you moved when young so don't have as much to lose or as much upheaval as those with children. We think now is the best time for us to give it our best shot before we have a family, we are very aware that it might not work and will have to come back, I think as long as you're prepared for the worse and are there for each other then it'll work out whether you stay in Oz or come back to the UK.

Anyways I wish you all the best for your future wherever it lies
xx
Thanks Ruth,

I'd love to go back, and maybe just to see it as an 18 month working hol so that we can get citizenhsip etc, but we're both now desparately wanting to get on with our lives, try and get a house etc and start a family so I'm not sure if we will ever make it back, but who knows!

Make sure you keep us all updated with how you're both doing out there etc when you go.

Stu

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.