Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Jobs - wage and conditions differences UK V Aus.

Jobs - wage and conditions differences UK V Aus.

Old Sep 18th 2016, 4:33 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its annoying my salary for my profession is not great compared to other salaries

Originally Posted by Beoz
I have to admit, I'm amazed you find the tube drivers salary acceptable in comparision to other public service jobs........
Not read all of this discussion, but I would be amazed if someone finds the salaries of other public service workers acceptable!
Old Sep 18th 2016, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its annoying my salary for my profession is not great compared to other salaries

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not read all of this discussion, but I would be amazed if someone finds the salaries of other public service workers acceptable!
Sounds like a new topic. We were looking at Tube Drivers.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 5:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a new topic. We were looking at Tube Drivers.
Doesn't sound like a new topic to me.

You said you were amazed that someone finds tube drivers salary acceptable compared to other public service pay. I agree in so much that the pay levels of other public service workers is inadequate and rather than bemoaning the pay level of tube drivers, we should be questioning the pay of the other public service workers.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Doesn't sound like a new topic to me.

You said you were amazed that someone finds tube drivers salary acceptable compared to other public service pay. I agree in so much that the pay levels of other public service workers is inadequate and rather than bemoaning the pay level of tube drivers, we should be questioning the pay of the other public service workers.
Certainly a new topic. So lets start on that one.

Should other public servants have their salaries increased, and it what you are indicating, somewhere between 20-50% pay rise?

Well it would be nice for the individual public servant but what about the broader picture? Affordability, supply and demand, cost to the tax payer? Considering many governments are shifting government employment to the private sector, decreasing demand, pay rises are unlikely.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly a new topic. So lets start on that one.

Should other public servants have their salaries increased, and it what you are indicating, somewhere between 20-50% pay rise?

Well it would be nice for the individual public servant but what about the broader picture? Affordability, supply and demand, cost to the tax payer? Considering many governments are shifting government employment to the private sector, decreasing demand, pay rises are unlikely.
You are the sort who would begrudge public servants even increases to keep pace with inflation (whilst top management increases on average in the UK are 5 times the rate of inflation) and you sneer at those who provide public service so it's perfectly understandable that you would not see a case for above inflation increases for public servants (to bring them more into line with similar jobs). We know your position and if anyone states a contrary view you 'cannae see' so what's the point, you just say if you don't like it get a job in the private sector. Out of interest (for someone who denigrates public sector workers), did you go to a state school, have you been in an NHS hospital, used public transport, public utilities, public roads etc?

As you like interesting articles have a read at this one - 1% pay rise for heaven's sake!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...sector-workers

Last edited by OzTennis; Sep 18th 2016 at 8:07 am.
Old Sep 18th 2016, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by OzTennis
You are the sort who would begrudge public servants even increases to keep pace with inflation (whilst top management increases on average in the UK are 5 times the rate of inflation) and you sneer at those who provide public service so it's perfectly understandable that you would not see a case for above inflation increases for public servants (to bring them more into line with similar jobs). We know your position and if anyone states a contrary view you 'cannae see' so what's the point, you just say if you don't like it get a job in the private sector. Out of interest (for someone who denigrates public sector workers), did you go to a state school, have you been in an NHS hospital, used public transport, public utilities, public roads etc?

As you like interesting articles have a read at this one - 1% pay rise for heaven's sake!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...sector-workers
Hhhmmm .... I'd expect nothing more from a rag like the Guardian.

Do you remember back to 2008-2011 in the UK? In many private sevice segments people were getting pay cuts. Many of my clients were reducing their staff to 4 days a week with a 20% cut to go with it. I certainly didn't get a pay rise in that time, in fact, as my salary was related to performance, which is largely related to the economy, I got a pay cut. Do public servants receive a pay cut?

At the time, most people weren't worried about a pay rise, it was all about keeping your job, keeping a roof over your head, feeding the family.

The public sector didn't have such concerns. You went to work, you came home and if you were going to be given the chop, there was a nice yearly golden handshake salary to go with it.

Do you remember the risk v reward you ignored earlier? As you are still banging on about CEO's, perhaps you should read up on the Burberry CEO and his 75% pay cut.

As the left always revert back to the me me me, perhaps we should look at it this way. Your pension, your Super, you invest in the growth of companies right? Do you want the best CEO for those companies you invest your retirement in? Of course you do. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Hhhmmm .... I'd expect nothing more from a rag like the Guardian.

Do you remember back to 2008-2011 in the UK? In many private sevice segments people were getting pay cuts. Many of my clients were reducing their staff to 4 days a week with a 20% cut to go with it. I certainly didn't get a pay rise in that time, in fact, as my salary was related to performance, which is largely related to the economy, I got a pay cut. Do public servants receive a pay cut?

At the time, most people weren't worried about a pay rise, it was all about keeping your job, keeping a roof over your head, feeding the family.

The public sector didn't have such concerns. You went to work, you came home and if you were going to be given the chop, there was a nice yearly golden handshake salary to go with it.

Do you remember the risk v reward you ignored earlier? As you are still banging on about CEO's, perhaps you should read up on the Burberry CEO and his 75% pay cut.

As the left always revert back to the me me me, perhaps we should look at it this way. Your pension, your Super, you invest in the growth of companies right? Do you want the best CEO for those companies you invest your retirement in? Of course you do. You can't have your cake and eat it too.
So it wasn't a 1% pay rise offer to crucial workers because it was reported in the Guardian? End of any meaningful discussion.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 8:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So it wasn't a 1% pay rise offer to crucial workers because it was reported in the Guardian? End of any meaningful discussion.
You obviously don't care about the bigger and wider picture and want to focus in on a narrow aspect ........ typical of those who walk around with placards. Best of luck then.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You obviously don't care about the bigger and wider picture and want to focus in on a narrow aspect ........ typical of those who walk around with placards. Best of luck then.
they were doctors and nurses etc with the placards. What else can you do when right wingers take away union powers, give themselves huge pay rises and salaries and then offer a derisory 1% rise to some of the most important workers in society? That's the bigger picture.

Last edited by OzTennis; Sep 19th 2016 at 9:25 am.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

they were doctors and nurses etc with the placards. What else can you do when right wingers take away union powers, give themselves huge pay rises and salaries and then offer a derisory 1% rise to some of the most important workers in society? That's the bigger picture.
Yep that's what I thought you would say. Perhaps you should write to your union and ask them to broaden their minds, broaden their value to the overall economy, rather than a select few government workers. Be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is a difference in the expectation though.

A firefighter accepts that their job will involve some very painful scenarios, and they go to every shift with the knowledge that they may see exceptionally tragic scenes by the end of it. Also, and possibly more importantly, the firefighter is not responsibe for the death of the fire victime.

A tube train driver goes to work to drive a train. They do not expect to reach the end of their shift having actually killed someone.
But they know it's possible. And in any case they haven't killed someone. someone jumped. That person could have jumped in front of a car.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 11:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
But they know it's possible. And in any case they haven't killed someone. someone jumped. That person could have jumped in front of a car.
Yes, that person jumped. But the death is caused by them being struck by the train.
Most peer support staff with whom I have had dealings say/write that the incident will be recalled by the driver as 'having killed someone' - same in the case of bus drivers, driversof other trains, and car/truck drivers.

As for knowing its possible - so do you when you drive your car every day. I doubt it is in the forefront of your mind though.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep that's what I thought you would say. Perhaps you should write to your union and ask them to broaden their minds, broaden their value to the overall economy, rather than a select few government workers. Be part of the solution rather than part of the problem.
I write to my (teaching) union about 'broadening their minds' is your response to the derisory offer to health sector workers?
Old Sep 19th 2016, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if monarchs look at the deal they get and compare it to other kings and queens ! "Philip did you know that horrid Swede gets more than I do ?"
Old Sep 19th 2016, 12:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Plus they get front row seats in the whole scenario, this doesn't just affect them but their work colleagues as well, as if could have been them. It's a lot like an active army unit in that regard. This fact alone sets them apart from every other worker on the tube system. Flash back, PTSD inducing work related issues.... It takes a certain type of person. Sounds from your statement that you could do it Badge...not everyone thinks like you on this issue. I know I couldn't. In fact one of my mates, does forensic cleaning....IE: cleaning up after suicides, prison cells, prison vans, deaths in houses that haven't been discovered for days or weeks and meth labs etc etc. Offered me a job post, post .... I declined because I know I wouldn't cope.

A completely different ball game to Bus or Lorry drivers as it will definitely absolutely happen to one of their number over a given period of time.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 19th 2016 at 12:54 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.