Job Losses

Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:50 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job Losses

Originally Posted by Rossi
I want to pose another question........

Do you think we are "talking" ourselves into a recession ?

so much doom & gloom reported.......no "real" signs i.e. order books were full but have started to slow down due to people becoming nervous ..... take the OP above with the kitchen...........obviously still wants/needs a kitchen but is now holding off from ordering the work

How the bloody hell do you get to 25k for a kitchen is it on it's own block of land
That's 25k in Aus dollars, and if you think that's expensive then you obviously haven't looked !!. Get yourself down to your nearest Hardly Normal, assuming you are in Oz, and check out the price of cookers
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That's 25k in Aus dollars, and if you think that's expensive then you obviously haven't looked !!. Get yourself down to your nearest Hardly Normal, assuming you are in Oz, and check out the price of cookers
You're not wrong, $25k is a budget kitchen - I hope that when I get mine done, I can keep it below that but I have budgeted for $30k and that is a gut the whole thing and replace everything reno.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
You're not wrong, $25k is a budget kitchen - I hope that when I get mine done, I can keep it below that but I have budgeted for $30k and that is a gut the whole thing and replace everything reno.

I spent less than $7k on mine Now that's what you call a budget kitchen

But I do have a hubby that installed it himself so I cheated a bit.

Got everything from Bunnings except the gas cooker which I got from Good Guys and a (laminate) worktop which I bought from a local supplier.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 8:51 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I want to pose another question........

Do you think we are "talking" ourselves into a recession ?

so much doom & gloom reported.......no "real" signs i.e. order books were full but have started to slow down due to people becoming nervous ..... take the OP above with the kitchen...........obviously still wants/needs a kitchen but is now holding off from ordering the work

How the bloody hell do you get to 25k for a kitchen is it on it's own block of land
Consumer confidence is measured and a key indicator on the economy. Some of it is due to people behaving like sheep but that is also part of the reason we get booms. In normal markets consumer confidence is cyclical and follows the other indicators. We are witnessing quite abnormal markets now. No amount of consumer confidence can make up for the amount of finance taken out of the system.
Old Oct 29th 2008, 2:01 am

http://business.smh.com.au/business/...1029-5b0f.html
This would explain house prices in Vic holding up better than Sydney or Brisbane.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 3:23 am

Mirvac (property company) in trading halt. 160 job losses in Sydney.
http://business.smh.com.au/business/...1030-5bs5.html
Old Oct 30th 2008, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

I lost my job yesterday. As did about 32 people out of 40 in the Developments section of our office (constructions side hasn't been done yet). I was working for a multi national developer in Brisbane. They have decided they will not be doing any developments for minimum two years. They even got rid of our State Manager. It was absolute carnage with tears and one guy even fainted.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:09 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I spent less than $7k on mine Now that's what you call a budget kitchen

But I do have a hubby that installed it himself so I cheated a bit.

Got everything from Bunnings except the gas cooker which I got from Good Guys and a (laminate) worktop which I bought from a local supplier.
i spent $350 on mine
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:11 am
poole ,dorset . love it

king kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond reputeking kong has a reputation beyond repute

We are laying off but we are in construction so thats to be expected plus the blokes money has gone down from 300 a day to 250 and is going to drop to 230 soon .Not pretty but there aint much we can do the builders are screwing us because no one is buying .
Old Oct 30th 2008, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsridge
I lost my job yesterday. As did about 32 people out of 40 in the Developments section of our office (constructions side hasn't been done yet). I was working for a multi national developer in Brisbane. They have decided they will not be doing any developments for minimum two years. They even got rid of our State Manager. It was absolute carnage with tears and one guy even fainted.
Very sorry to hear that. I realise it's early days, however are you confident or not about getting another job.

According to the news your not alone in this. It's a terrible feeling being retrenched. Hopefully something I never have to feel again.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 8:57 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

This is so sad. It's the real people it effects behind the statistics

I hope you manage to find another job mrsridge and good luck
Old Oct 30th 2008, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

mrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nicemrsridge is just really nice

Currently I am feeling reasonably optimistic about a new job as I was a Legal PA so I can probably find another job reasonably easy in a law firm somewhere (even though that will suck). There were guys there that were transferred by the Sydney office, moved their families, sold their Sydney houses, got their kids into school here and now been told they are jobless - and there are no development jobs out there at the moment. One guy was saying he might try to get a job in a bank doing the mortgage repos. The man that fainteds wife is due to have a baby in three weeks. Generally everyone knew they wouldn't be getting a developments job again.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 10:06 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Currently I am feeling reasonably optimistic about a new job as I was a Legal PA so I can probably find another job reasonably easy in a law firm somewhere (even though that will suck). There were guys there that were transferred by the Sydney office, moved their families, sold their Sydney houses, got their kids into school here and now been told they are jobless - and there are no development jobs out there at the moment. One guy was saying he might try to get a job in a bank doing the mortgage repos. The man that fainteds wife is due to have a baby in three weeks. Generally everyone knew they wouldn't be getting a developments job again.
This is the human side to job losses. It has happened so quickly and like you say, some people have moved their families around and now have nothing. And the poor chap whose wife is due to have a baby, this should be a happy time for them, instead it sounds like it's turned into a nightmare

Fingers crossed you get another job soon which I'm sure you will - and all those others who have been made redundant.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

250,000 on a nice kitchen on a new kitchen, i think she neds a good "Shagging"
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:03 am
ABCDiamond

I used to do the books for a Kitchen company some years ago, and they did charge like bulls. The director never drove to work in his Ferrari though....

At least I learned a few things, and got my kitchen for $4,000 (cost price)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.