Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:24 am
  #1  
Happy migrant
Thread Starter
 
Kapri's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Newcastle , NSW
Posts: 6,753
Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Now then, now then.

Those of us who grew up in the UK in the 70's and 80's knew Jimmy Saville as one of Britains best known celebrities. He presented Top of the pops and Jim'll fix it, amongst other things. He was also well known for his charity work.

Saville died last year, and since then, a former detective has conducted an investigation into his alleged sexual abuse of teenage girls.

Esther Rantzen says that rumours were rife in the industry about Saville's preferences for young girls and several women have come forward to say that they were abused by him.
The general theme seems to be that while he was alive, people thought he was untouchable. Back in the 70's the culture of silence was a strong one and people didn't feel able to speak out.

So far, 5 seperate women claim to have been sexually assaulted by him.

One BBC presenter claims that she walked into a room and saw him with his tongue in a teenager's mouth.
Another presenter says he knew Saville was abusing girls but didn't speak out because he feared for his career.
Coleen Nolan claims to have been groped by him whilst performing on Top of the pops.

The difficulty is of course, that Saville is dead now and cannot defend himself.

However, Coleen Nolan says that she thinks people should listen to the alleged victims as she thinks things may have been worse for her if she hadn't had the support of her sisters. She says that she was never left alone with him.

What are people's thoughts?

Link

Link

Last edited by Kapri; Oct 1st 2012 at 9:27 am.
Kapri is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:35 am
  #2  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,603
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by Kapri View Post
Now then, now then.

Those of us who grew up in the UK in the 70's and 80's knew Jimmy Saville as one of Britains best known celebrities. He presented Top of the pops and Jim'll fix it, amongst other things. He was also well known for his charity work.

Saville died last year, and since then, a former detective has conducted an investigation into his alleged sexual abuse of teenage girl

Esther Rantzen says that rumours were rife in the industry about Saville's preferences for young girls and several women have come forward to say that they were abused by him.
The general theme seems to be that while he was alive, people thought he was untouchable. Back in the 70's the culture of silence was a strong one and people didn't feel able to speak out.

So far, 5 seperate women claim to have been sexually assaulted by him.

One BBC presenter claims that she walked into a room and saw him with his tongue in a teenager's mouth.
Another presenter says he knew Saville was abusing girls but didn't speak out because he feared for his career.
Coleen Nolan claims to have been groped by him whilst performing on Top of the pops.

The difficulty is of course, that Saville is dead now and cannot defend himself.

However, Coleen Nolan says that she thinks people should listen to the alleged victims as she thinks things may have been worse for her if she hadn't had the support of her sisters. She says that she was never left alone with him.

What are people's thoughts?

Link

Link
Is there anyone famous who hasn't committed a heinous offence?
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:20 am
  #3  
Newlywed
 
Dorothy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 28,933
Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
Is there anyone famous who hasn't committed a heinous offence?
What a stupid comment! Of course there are hundreds, if not thousands of famous people who haven't committed ANY offence, never mind a heinous one. Sometimes your total lack of grip on reality really infuriates me.

As for whether Jimmy Saville was or wasn't what he's accused of, in all likelihood I doubt there will ever be a definitive answer. He's now dead, so unable to confirm or deny the accusations. Although I agree that the culture in the 70's was one of victims not being encouraged to report and when they did they were often either not believed or told to keep quiet and get over it.
Dorothy is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:04 am
  #4  
BE Forum Addict
 
TheArmChairDetective's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Here,there and everywhere
Posts: 2,595
TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

An interesting situation and not one I could know the answer to.
I recall the 70's and whilst I don't know the ages of the males and females involved, I remember all sorts of music acts with stories of groupies and even a pair that made plaster casts.
I don't know the pedigree of Mark Williams-Thomas either but with a suggested police employment of 5 years he wasn't a detective very long so is this piece of work a service to the community or a financially based reputation building exercise. I don't know.

What I do know is that I have never read any suggestions or expose' against Saville in the News of the World neither do I recall his name or a suggestion of any criminal activity being brought up in the UK Phone Hacking scandal.

I am fully aware of the trauma that a victim of sex crime goes through and the emotions that are bottled up or simply blanked off as a result, but Mark Williams-Thomas stated on TV this morning in the UK that he had been investigating Saville for a year before today's announcement (whilst Saville was alive?) and that he had heard whispers of such activity a FULL YEAR before that.
Unfortunately Mark Williams-Thomas wasn't asked where these whispers came from, where he heard them or from whom. Nor was he asked the more important question, seeing as Saville was alive and could have quite possibly been arrested, of whether he had passed that information onto the Police.
I have no knowledge or opinion on whether Jimmy Saville was a child abuser or not but I am sure he will be found guilty by television, which unfortunately in our enlightened times seems more important than trial by jury.
TheArmChairDetective is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:04 am
  #5  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,603
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
What a stupid comment! Of course there are hundreds, if not thousands of famous people who haven't committed ANY offence, never mind a heinous one. Sometimes your total lack of grip on reality really infuriates me.

As for whether Jimmy Saville was or wasn't what he's accused of, in all likelihood I doubt there will ever be a definitive answer. He's now dead, so unable to confirm or deny the accusations. Although I agree that the culture in the 70's was one of victims not being encouraged to report and when they did they were often either not believed or told to keep quiet and get over it.
Dorothy - has it occurred to you that my comment was tongue -in - cheek - like most of my comments? And that it might reflect a rather tired albeit cynical and weary view of the world?

My grip on reality is far more than the average person who has in the main lived a very sheltered life..




Edit - we seem to live in a world where by history is constantly seeking to undo those that were 'great' - no change there, then, amongst other things..right or wrong, proven or unsubstantiated..

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Oct 1st 2012 at 11:08 am.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:13 am
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
knockoff nige's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,404
knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective View Post
An interesting situation and not one I could know the answer to.
I recall the 70's and whilst I don't know the ages of the males and females involved, I remember all sorts of music acts with stories of groupies and even a pair that made plaster casts.
I don't know the pedigree of Mark Williams-Thomas either but with a suggested police employment of 5 years he wasn't a detective very long so is this piece of work a service to the community or a financially based reputation building exercise. I don't know.

What I do know is that I have never read any suggestions or expose' against Saville in the News of the World neither do I recall his name or a suggestion of any criminal activity being brought up in the UK Phone Hacking scandal.

I am fully aware of the trauma that a victim of sex crime goes through and the emotions that are bottled up or simply blanked off as a result, but Mark Williams-Thomas stated on TV this morning in the UK that he had been investigating Saville for a year before today's announcement (whilst Saville was alive?) and that he had heard whispers of such activity a FULL YEAR before that.
Unfortunately Mark Williams-Thomas wasn't asked where these whispers came from, where he heard them or from whom. Nor was he asked the more important question, seeing as Saville was alive and could have quite possibly been arrested, of whether he had passed that information onto the Police.
I have no knowledge or opinion on whether Jimmy Saville was a child abuser or not but I am sure he will be found guilty by television, which unfortunately in our enlightened times seems more important than trial by jury.
Possibly but unfortunately, these people who make the claims they were abused deserve their day in court to tell their story. I fully support that. It's a real shame that there was so much silence around child abuse in general. Worst crime ever and it got swept under the carpet.

I agree with Dorothy too. Regardless of how tongue in cheek it was, it's still a pathetic thing to say. It's very similar to labelling all priests as paedophiles. People do that, it's awful that legitimate priests who have done no wrong are labelled like that.
knockoff nige is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:25 am
  #7  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,603
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by knockoff nige View Post
Possibly but unfortunately, these people who make the claims they were abused deserve their day in court to tell their story. I fully support that. It's a real shame that there was so much silence around child abuse in general. Worst crime ever and it got swept under the carpet.

I agree with Dorothy too. Regardless of how tongue in cheek it was, it's still a pathetic thing to say. It's very similar to labelling all priests as paedophiles. People do that, it's awful that legitimate priests who have done no wrong are labelled like that.
I can't disagree.

Strangely enough - it was precisely because I knew someone would come along and make a connection like this - problems in the priesthood for example, (often there are others who make angry links, but your point was constructive) at some point - that I mentioned it in anticipation.

It's precisely because these accusations air long after that society has a problem.
I wonder when the first person comes along and says unhelpfully ' Burn in Hell' - I would rather work out how we can help society.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:28 am
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
TheArmChairDetective's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Here,there and everywhere
Posts: 2,595
TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by knockoff nige View Post
Possibly but unfortunately, these people who make the claims they were abused deserve their day in court to tell their story. .
I am behind you 100% there, Court being the operative word.

Of course for some that is as traumatic as the original offence and sadly doesn't happen.

I appreciate that telling one's story to a TV show might constitute a day in court, however I always bear in mind though that the potential exists for those who might not have been victims to come out of the woodwork once the Appearance Fee/Compensation word gets raised.

Let's hope the truth will out, for societies sake if not for any alleged victims.
TheArmChairDetective is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:29 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
knockoff nige's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Sydney
Posts: 4,404
knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
I can't disagree.

Strangely enough - it was precisely because I knew someone would come along and make a connection like this - problems in the priesthood for example, (often there are others who make angry links, but your point was constructive) at some point - that I mentioned it in anticipation.

It's precisely because these accusations air long after that society has a problem.
I wonder when the first person comes along and says unhelpfully ' Burn in Hell' - I would rather work out how we can help society.
Ok but perhaps you were blowing societies problems out of proportion a bit by targetting all celebrities.
knockoff nige is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:45 am
  #10  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,603
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by knockoff nige View Post
Ok but perhaps you were blowing societies problems out of proportion a bit by targetting all celebrities.
Maybe:
Is it cos celebrities are is newsworthy.

(And news sells copy?)

It's been going on for 100s of years.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 12:49 pm
  #11  
Mostly Harmless
 
DeadVim's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Semi-rural wonderworld, Brisbane
Posts: 15,044
DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

I think the major surprise out of these allegations is that he was fiddling with girls and not boys.

Esther Rantzen, gawd she know a kiddie fiddler when she saw one ... remember those dodgy blokes on That's Life?
DeadVim is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:03 pm
  #12  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,191
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

I'm more surprised it's not come up in the media before. The rumours were there from the 70s, I've always found him a revolting sleazy git and believed back then that he was a kiddie fiddler but for some reason he was treated like a god by the media until he died and then it becomes open season. There's more to the story than meets the eye. Why he was treated like an untouchable god is my main question.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 1:26 pm
  #13  
TGA
Banned
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Sunny Sidcup
Posts: 2,872
TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective View Post

What I do know is that I have never read any suggestions or expose' against Saville in the News of the World neither do I recall his name or a suggestion of any criminal activity being brought up in the UK Phone Hacking scandal.
How would you know (unless of course you nicked him for not having a ticket on the train).
He was a dirty old man http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rogerb/jokes/HIGNFY.txt
as was(is) Barrymore. I have a mate at what was LWT and I have heard some disgusting stuff.
TGA is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:05 pm
  #14  
Crazy Cat Lady
 
moneypenny20's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 65,191
moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Anyone who will publicly state that Gary Glitter did no wrong and just had some photos and videos for personal use that hurt no one is obviously up to the same sort of shit.
moneypenny20 is offline  
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:06 pm
  #15  
Hillarys, Perth
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Hillarys, Perth.
Posts: 1,094
h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by Kapri View Post

What are people's thoughts?

Link

Link
Did anyone see the Jimmy Saville documentary/interview with Louis Theroux?
The one thing that came out of it (and I realise editing can bias the outcome) but, Jimmy was not 'normal'.

Based on what I observed about his lifestyle I had him more of a recluse homosexual rather than a pedophile.

"IF" it comes out that he was abusing kids, the people that kept quiet or conveniently turned a cheek to allow him to be alone with the kids, should be traced and made accountable!

Why didn't the Nolans manager/parents act back then? If he groped one of the girls he should have paid the price back then!
h2oskineil is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.