Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Was Jimmy Saville a paedophile?

Originally Posted by sammax
Who's Rolf Harris?
Good example of how values and opinions have changed:

Let me abbos go loose, Bruce, let me abbos go loose
They're of no futher use, Bruce, let me abbos go loose

Tie me Kangaroo down..........................etc
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 4:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
I haven't ploughed through all 23 pages but one thing that I do remember from the 1960s is that - until 1972 - there was many a twelve year old Irish bride. Also when I was a teenager it was considered a bit risky but not a felony for a teen boy to do the deed with a 15 year old girl, and no doubt vice versa.
My landlord at a bedsit building in Cardiff where I lived had a 13 year old wife, quite legal as he was a Bangla Deshi migrant. Nowadays you would end up on the sex offenders register for life.

Point being that at the time Saville was alleged to have been committing his offences, a lot of things were going on all around that were not acted upon as opinions and values were somewhat different, and anyone wanting to prey on teenage girls wouldn't feel as constrained as perhaps they would nowadays.
Yep I get that, and getting an immense sense of satisfaction out of watching the bastards squirm now. They knew it was wrong when they were doing it but thought they were above the law, hang em all

However when has it ever been legal to have a 13 y/o wife in the UK, no matter where you originate from??

Last edited by scrubbedexpat098; Sep 2nd 2013 at 4:51 am.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 5:06 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't ploughed through all 23 pages but one thing that I do remember from the 1960s is that - until 1972 - there was many a twelve year old Irish bride. Also when I was a teenager it was considered a bit risky but not a felony for a teen boy to do the deed with a 15 year old girl, and no doubt vice versa.
My landlord at a bedsit building in Cardiff where I lived had a 13 year old wife, quite legal as he was a Bangla Deshi migrant. Nowadays you would end up on the sex offenders register for life.

Point being that at the time Saville was alleged to have been committing his offences, a lot of things were going on all around that were not acted upon as opinions and values were somewhat different, and anyone wanting to prey on teenage girls wouldn't feel as constrained as perhaps they would nowadays.
yeh and child sex abuse was rife - thankfully no longer the case and someones coming after the dirty barstewards
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 8:43 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish1
Yep I get that, and getting an immense sense of satisfaction out of watching the bastards squirm now. They knew it was wrong when they were doing it but thought they were above the law, hang em all

However when has it ever been legal to have a 13 y/o wife in the UK, no matter where you originate from??
1958 when Jerry Lee Lewis brought his 13 yr old bride into Heathrow lol
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Yes it probably wasn't actually legal, but I don't think anything was done about it in those days. And I'd guess with the huge population flows between the UK and Ireland there were many child brides living in Irish Communities in England and Wales.

We have come on a lot but even now there are apparently a lot of Muslim Australian girls still getting their clitorises cut out, often sent overseas for the job. Don't hear a lot about prosecutions here.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

If he's guilty I will hate him forever, my mrs played that when me and my brother reunited after 4 years. brought happy memories flooding back for us.
It is a favourite in our household too.My parents had twin boys after six girls.We used to sing this to our brothers when they were younger and later to my mother.She cried every time she heard it. I hope its not true.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 10:16 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't make it right though.
13 year old girls, even if they are biologically capable of bearing children, are at higher risk of serious complications if they fall pregnant.
They are not emotionally ready and will be at higher risk of cervical cancer when they are older.

Even now, it would be highly unlikely that the police would prosecute a 17 year old boy for having sex with his willing 15 year old girlfriend - it would be pointless. It's a very different thing though than older men preying on vulnerable or naive teens.

I see your point, and I suspect that the likes of Saville were able to convince themselves they were doing nothing wrong. Most sexual predators will find some excuse anyway.
Old Sep 4th 2013, 5:57 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

In England in the Middle Ages, the age of marriage was 12 years old.

It's only been in more modern times that the age of consent has gone up - but even in Western countries in the mid 19th century it was common for children of 10-13 to be married.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 4:53 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
In England in the Middle Ages, the age of marriage was 12 years old.

It's only been in more modern times that the age of consent has gone up - but even in Western countries in the mid 19th century it was common for children of 10-13 to be married.
we moved on
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:28 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Kevin Webster cleared on all charges.
Just having a read of the reports & most state that the CPS defended it's decision to charge Le Vell. The jury heard evidence from a doctor who had examined the girl two years after the alleged offences had been committed. She was found to have never had penetrative sex i.e she was still a virgin. How can CPS bring charges of rape against a bloke when the victim is still a virgin? When it's clear her account is at least in some graphic detail untrue. Quite clearly the girl &/or her mother sought to destroy his life.

Ahh well no more moustache jokes
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Just having a read of the reports & most state that the CPS defended it's decision to charge Le Vell. The jury heard evidence from a doctor who had examined the girl two years after the alleged offences had been committed. She was found to have never had penetrative sex i.e she was still a virgin. How can CPS bring charges of rape against a bloke when the victim is still a virgin? When it's clear her account is at least in some graphic detail untrue. Quite clearly the girl &/or her mother sought to destroy his life.

The alleged victim had a moustache?
Old Sep 10th 2013, 9:55 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57

****ing joke mate,the CPS are shit at the best of times,faceless people who have the power to destroy peoples lives
Old Sep 11th 2013, 12:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It does my head in when anyone is dragged through the mud like this. The stuff sticks. There is no way his name should be plastered all over the media whilst her name remains secret. I know she was outed but even those who named her were then arrested. Why does she get anonimity when he doesn't and he's the innocent one. Sucks. Big time.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 12:12 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
****ing joke mate,the CPS are shit at the best of times,faceless people who have the power to destroy peoples lives

I saw many a random decision by the CPS when I was a plod. Your description is very close to the reality...

S
Old Sep 11th 2013, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

petensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond reputepetensue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
It does my head in when anyone is dragged through the mud like this. The stuff sticks. There is no way his name should be plastered all over the media whilst her name remains secret. I know she was outed but even those who named her were then arrested. Why does she get anonimity when he doesn't and he's the innocent one. Sucks. Big time.

I agree with the above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.