Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Jimmy Boyle - A Sense of Freedom

Jimmy Boyle - A Sense of Freedom

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light
Default Jimmy Boyle - A Sense of Freedom

Just watched the above film from the 70s which was filmed where I grew up in Maryhill, Glasgow. Brought back memories, not of Jimmy Boyle but some of the old pubs, shops, buildings etc and reminded me how in the name of progress the heart was ripped out of Glasgow (As it was in many other places) where they just tore down the tenements only to discover in later years that they could actually renovate and restore them to their former glories!

The people in charge at that time late 60s and 70s should've gone to jail! Check out the Virtual Mitchell website of Old Glasgow, most definitely 'The Jewel of the Empire'!

'I belang tae Glasga'!
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jimmy Boyle - A Sense of Freedom

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Just watched the above film from the 70s which was filmed where I grew up in Maryhill, Glasgow. Brought back memories, not of Jimmy Boyle but some of the old pubs, shops, buildings etc and reminded me how in the name of progress the heart was ripped out of Glasgow (As it was in many other places) where they just tore down the tenements only to discover in later years that they could actually renovate and restore them to their former glories!

The people in charge at that time late 60s and 70s should've gone to jail! Check out the Virtual Mitchell website of Old Glasgow, most definitely 'The Jewel of the Empire'!

'I belang tae Glasga'!
Ah used tae go through Maryhill tae go tae Ashfield dugs (via a wee stopover in the Gimlet pub which is in still game) and its similar to a lot of areas where the tenements were ripped down, Clydebank included. They designed areas with waterside cafes without taking into account its baltic 355 days of the year plus nobodys got any jobs tae spend their money in this utopian dream. Makes me quite mad how it all ended up. Bloody councillors.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

LoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of lightLoneRanger is a glorious beacon of light

I used tae drink in the Gimlet in the late 80s early 90s as they sponsored the football team that I played for at the time! Its gone noo, new hooses and Ruchill is now called 'Richill' if you'll pardon the pun!

I remember hanging about the old George snooker hall at St Georges Cross where prior to the snooker hall of today you struggled to get a set of balls where all the reds were the same colour! There were 3 levels that you accessed up a close and all had the biggest single doors that I've ever seen!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute

I used tae drink in the Gimlet in the late 80s early 90s as they sponsored the football team that I played for at the time! Its gone noo, new hooses and Ruchill is now called 'Richill' if you'll pardon the pun!

I remember hanging about the old George snooker hall at St Georges Cross where prior to the snooker hall of today you struggled to get a set of balls where all the reds were the same colour! There were 3 levels that you accessed up a close and all had the biggest single doors that I've ever seen!
Stood in the gimlet wan night and a pool cue flashed across ma face on way to another guys head. Typical Saturday night and the perpetrator apologised and bought me a pint. Happy days.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

plantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of lightplantpot is a glorious beacon of light

'I belang tae Glasga'!
GAwd I couldn't wait to get out....think Maryhill is NOT the same place I lived as it might have been years back........certainly not a Jewel when I was there in the early 90s...
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 2:31 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

'I belang tae Glasga'!
Not seen it but i read the book a coupla years back - was brilliant!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Not seen it but i read the book a coupla years back - was brilliant!
It wiz on the telly years ago but dont kid on yer too young.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by framac67
Aye half the cast of Taggart, Take the High Road, River City and Still Game were in it, all the usual Scottish suspects including Fulton MacKay of 'Porridge' fame. The film was credited with kick starting the career of David Hayman who played Boyle. Quite a grainy auld picture, swear I saw Soapy and Framac playing 'Chip and Toss' ootside the 'Ben Mhor' wi jam aw roon their mooths!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:28 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Any o u eejits read No Mean City?

Good read it is.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by framac67
I'm younger than you oo, I'm younger than you oo!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

'I belang tae Glasga'!
My uncle Tommy was the Governor of the prison where he did a hunger strike.
Was it Peterhead? Ah cannae remember.
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

I thought it was Barlinnie?
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
I thought it was Barlinnie?
Possibly, did he not get moved around though? I know my Uncle Tommy was the Governor of Peterhead at some point cos that's where my mam & dad went on honeymoon. No shit!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2009, 10:13 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

i have heard that marriage can be a sentence, but thats a bit over the top