Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Jessica Watson has returned.

Jessica Watson has returned.

Old May 17th 2010, 2:48 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jessica Watson has returned.

Originally Posted by kporte
I can't believe all the vitriol because she may be from a "privileged" background? I'm fairly certain her Dad having a few quid did little to get her through the isolation and fear that such a trip would give..... 16. Think about it.... ffs!
As I said, Im sure if their own kids had done something that made the news and received the same publicity they would be proud.
Old May 17th 2010, 11:22 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
... but whether it's appropriate at her age to put herself in the position of possibly requiring a massive rescue operation is an entirely valid question.

Age it seems, has no bearing on massive rescue operations.

Tony Bullimore, for example. That cost upwards of 6 million dollars and he was not a youngster.
Old May 17th 2010, 11:34 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Age it seems, has no bearing on massive rescue operations.

Tony Bullimore, for example. That cost upwards of 6 million dollars and he was not a youngster.
Very true - and he was a serial rescuee!

I agree that age shouldn't matter but the fact is that most people who sail around the world - especially through the Southern ocean - have quite a substantial backup team. In her case there are publicists, PR managers and the like - almost certainly *because* her age makes it "news" in itself.

All credit to her - I wouldn't do what she has done - but the publicity machine that has been deployed, the hysteria generated, the involvement of the police and the PM (of course) and the potential costs of search and rescue make me pretty cynical.

A neighbour of mine in my Sussex house retired early from teaching carpentry at a school, used his savings to buy materials and built himself a yacht. He and his wife then took lessons and sailed it all the way around the globe, taking three years. With a sextant. No backup. No publicity. To me that is more of an achievement (having said that, they of course might have had to be rescued themselves so my comment about depositing an insurance bond stands.)
Old May 18th 2010, 12:38 am
ABCDiamond

Jessica is a new kind of ‘Aussie battler’ who has clearly struck a chord with the Australian people.
Federal Member for Fisher (her local area)

Is she from a 'rich family" or is she an "Aussie battler"

The term Aussie Battler is an Australian colloquialism referring to "ordinary" or working class individuals

Old May 18th 2010, 1:12 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

She's sailed around the world on her own and that is a truly great achievement for anyone. But this media frenzy is simply because of her age, nobody would care if she was 36.

If she had sailed around the world on her own in 1970, and planned her own route, that would have been an amazing feat.

However, her route was planned for her... on top of that modern technology enabled face to face contact with family & friends, whenever she required it. The modern day solo circumnavigation is not the challenge that it once was. Would she have been able to repeat this challenge 40yrs ago? I don't think so.

It seems that modern technology is making these big challenges far easier than they used to be... Perhaps we need to start finding some harder challenges, pushing ourselves more instead of revisiting old ones?

On the subject of whether or not she's from a wealthy family... It seems pretty obvious to me that her family is not short of a few $$$ given her sailing experience.

Is it harder to circumnavigate the globe if you are from a poor family ? Well, no... it is the same journey after all. But is it more of an achievement if you did not have a privileged upbringing? undoubtedly.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:16 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention, she crashed into a freighter on the first night after leaving brisbane? what was all that about??! Fair play to her though, she didn't let that get in the way of her trip
Old May 18th 2010, 1:22 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Well done Jess but why the **** did you have to arrive just as 7 were about to go to the V8's (thus delaying it) thanks to that I then had to go and finish the mowing??????? next time be a little more considerate and arrive when crap like Masterchef/Greys Anatomy/Private Practice is on please!
Old May 18th 2010, 1:49 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

From what l read she did'nt actually sail around the world she was 2,000 miles short but why let that get in the way of a good story,
Old May 18th 2010, 1:59 am
Account Open

Originally Posted by mohogony
From what l read she did'nt actually sail around the world she was 2,000 miles short but why let that get in the way of a good story,
If you look at this map you can see that she sailed around the southern hemisphere.

Read the main wiki article for more info on the dispute over the length of the voyage.
Old May 18th 2010, 2:02 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A complete failure then, it was obviously a walk in the park by comparison to doing the world. Shame on her for taking the easy route.
Old May 18th 2010, 2:15 am
ABCDiamond

Which bit of the circumference did she miss out ?

Old May 18th 2010, 2:21 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Which bit of the circumference did she miss out ?
She made the trip quicker by avoiding the equator.
Old May 18th 2010, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
She's sailed around the world on her own and that is a truly great achievement for anyone. But this media frenzy is simply because of her age, nobody would care if she was 36.
Her age yes, and she is also quite photogenic. If she was fat and ugly she wouldn't have anywhere near the same amount of coverage.
Old May 18th 2010, 4:06 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The hype did build up but it is probably due to it being quite and achievement during a time when sportsmen are hitting the news for all the wrong reasons. Sadly once the PR guys are on board everyone goes for the ride as Lara Bingle found out. I just hope she can be rid of the parasites and hangerons ASAP.

If someone doesn't give a monkeys why post about it here?

Originally Posted by Wol
Very true - and he was a serial rescuee!

I agree that age shouldn't matter but the fact is that most people who sail around the world - especially through the Southern ocean - have quite a substantial backup team. In her case there are publicists, PR managers and the like - almost certainly *because* her age makes it "news" in itself.

All credit to her - I wouldn't do what she has done - but the publicity machine that has been deployed, the hysteria generated, the involvement of the police and the PM (of course) and the potential costs of search and rescue make me pretty cynical.

A neighbour of mine in my Sussex house retired early from teaching carpentry at a school, used his savings to buy materials and built himself a yacht. He and his wife then took lessons and sailed it all the way around the globe, taking three years. With a sextant. No backup. No publicity. To me that is more of an achievement (having said that, they of course might have had to be rescued themselves so my comment about depositing an insurance bond stands.)
Old May 18th 2010, 5:50 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Scott didn't make it to the Antarctic first either, and completely failed to make it back, yet it doesn't stop him from being considered anything less than a pioneer.

Maybe we should start to denigrate his attempt at pioneering achievement too?

Stupid Scott. Imagine taking horses, and then not making it back. What a retard. I can't believe so much space in history books is given over to that loser...

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.