Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Jessica Watson has returned.

Jessica Watson has returned.

Old May 16th 2010, 12:33 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Jessica Watson has returned.

They should now ban anyone under 16 from from sailing around the world solo or some 14 or 15 year old girl will now try to break her record and end up the bottom of Davy Jones locker.
Old May 16th 2010, 3:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mohogony
They should now ban anyone under 16 from from sailing around the world solo or some 14 or 15 year old girl will now try to break her record and end up the bottom of Davy Jones locker.
You mean like the 14 year old Laura Dekker...
Born on her parents' boat in New Zealand, Laura spent the first four years of her life at sea and had intended to start a two-year solo, global voyage, but the Utrecht District Court ruled she was too inexperienced.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...#ixzz0o3iF97zH

Old May 16th 2010, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
You sound like you're jealous Dean. Full of sour grapes for this kid and what she's accomplished.
Yeah right, get real. I give her full kudos for what she has done. It's her parents I am questioning. Or are you too blind to realise that.?

You really haven't got a clue whether you're right or not, you're just spouting off.
Well you do plenty of spounting off yourself.

Can you actually read or do you just read into things what you want to read into things? Obviously common sense isn't one of your strong points.

Sounds like you had a shitty childhood and you're not happy to let anyone have any success whether they did it off their own bat or their parent's.
So are you a mindreader and psychologist all rolled into one now? You talk complete shit.

Doesn't matter one jot if she 'understands the value of money' or not.
You can't be serious. If you are then you are very stupid.

Seems she understands how to handle a yacht, how to handle an ocean, how to handle being lonely, how to handle independence,
And none of those things are exactly difficult if you have had the appropriate training.

and how to handle success, amongst many other things.
That is yet to be seen. She only had her first taste of it yesterday.
Old May 16th 2010, 4:21 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
So, you say that her parents funded her trip.

Followed by:

What is the real point of your point ? That her parents treat her as a spoilt child, who does nothing for herself ?

I am somewhat confused...
Who cares, I can't be bothered with this anymore.
Old May 16th 2010, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

norfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nicenorfolkpedlar is just really nice

Originally Posted by Deancm
Well said Deancm but I suppose that Manc tosser will be hurling more abuse now!
Old May 16th 2010, 4:40 am
ABCDiamond

Sounds a good idea

Old May 16th 2010, 4:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by norfolkpedlar
Well said Deancm but I suppose that Manc tosser will be hurling more abuse now!
Maybe it'll calm down to common sense now

Old May 16th 2010, 4:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

All credit to her on a personal basis - she's done what most of us wouldn't want to or be able to, regardless of her age. And despite the GPS, fax onboard, backup and all the support that people like Chichester didn't have.

Whether it's a good thing to allow her, or to make the fuss that they have, is another thing entirely.

I think *all* such attempts should have to deposit say $10m guarantee in a trust before setting out to pay back the taxpayer for the rescue if it all goes wrong. No-one's asking them to do it, and I don't see why we should pick up the tab to rescue anyone in that situation.

I was just saying to Mrs Wol "No doubt Kevin will pop up soon" - and b*gg*r me! there was Dear Leader onscreen having his photo opportunity!
Old May 16th 2010, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
All credit to her on a personal basis - she's done what most of us wouldn't want to or be able to, regardless of her age. And despite the GPS, fax onboard, backup and all the support that people like Chichester didn't have.
Have to be honest, I feel some of these sailors need to plan their own routes. And they do have the comms backup that Chicester et al did not have.

There's a now deceased Kiwi bloke called David Lewis, a sailor, adventurer, doctor, and Polynesian scholar who sailed around the southern ocean in Antarctic waters in the early 70s. Wrote a book called IceBird. (Here my senile memory fails me). He was having to star-sight etc.

As for rulings on younger juveniles - I reckon you can't do these things if you are under 14. I mean, in the UK, under that age, you can't be left at home on your own!
Old May 16th 2010, 7:52 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah right, get real. I give her full kudos for what she has done. It's her parents I am questioning. Or are you too blind to realise that.?
You don't make it clear in any of your posts.

Well you do plenty of spounting off yourself.
Well I don't actually spount. I may however, spout.

Can you actually read or do you just read into things what you want to read into things? Obviously common sense isn't one of your strong points.
No, you are right. I cannot read.

So are you a mindreader and psychologist all rolled into one now? You talk complete shit.
Well thank you Dean. You on the other hand talk 100% complete sense 0% of the time.

You can't be serious. If you are then you are very stupid.
Funny isn't it, that you're the one reduced to name calling and personal insults. I think that shows the height of your intelligence.

And none of those things are exactly difficult if you have had the appropriate training.
THAT is the most stupid thing you've said for ages.
Priceless.
Old May 16th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway I'm looking forward to her book being published, I hope it covers all the years of preparation that she went through as well as the actual voyage. I think it will be a real good read.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:13 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
What the fark have the MONKEES got to do with it............mm
Old May 16th 2010, 2:24 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

What has this young girl done that is so bad?

Im sorry but who gives a toss if other kids cant do it? We all do the best we can with what we are given and just because others are presented with better opportunities that doesnt mean we begrudge their success or happiness.

Personally it doesnt bother me that for every person that owns their own home there are even more that can't afford it, or perhaps that someone has the money to go to college to study what they want while others can only dream of it.

There will always be people more able to do something, there will always be people determined enough to realise their dream - so what? What the hell is wrong with being happy for them.

You dont have to have your kid achieve something like Jessica to be proud of them, but for the love of god can you not be pleased for this kid? And so what that Australia made a big deal of it, at least they recognised what she had done.

She hasnt assaulted anyone, she hasnt mugged anyone or hurt anyone, just because she has done something different that has attracted publicity- so what.

If your kid was that determined to do something similar and had the means/opportunity to do it, would you stop them because of other kids that couldnt do it? Will you stop your kid from going to Uni because of the kids that cant afford to go?

No, of course you wouldnt. There is nothing wrong with ambition, direction and dreams and there is certainly nothing wrong with pride either.

Jealousy however, now that is a different story because that is nothing to be proud of.

Last edited by Cheetah7; May 16th 2010 at 2:26 pm.
Old May 17th 2010, 5:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.smh.com.au/national/teen-...ml?autostart=1
Teen sailor Jessica Watson has turned down a $250,000 offer to let photographers attend her 17th birthday party tomorrow, her manager says.Andrew Fraser today defended Jessica against claims from disgruntled equipment supplier Marty Still that she delayed her return to maximise the commercial impact of her safe arrival.
"It was Jess's decision to delay it," Mr Fraser told Radio 3AW.
"She wanted some rest so she could enjoy it and catch up with her family ... it wasn't fabricated. It was her decision to go further out to sea, take her time and get some sleep."

Old May 17th 2010, 5:41 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
http://www.smh.com.au/national/teen-...ml?autostart=1
Teen sailor Jessica Watson has turned down a $250,000 offer to let photographers attend her 17th birthday party tomorrow, her manager says.Andrew Fraser today defended Jessica against claims from disgruntled equipment supplier Marty Still that she delayed her return to maximise the commercial impact of her safe arrival.
"It was Jess's decision to delay it," Mr Fraser told Radio 3AW.
"She wanted some rest so she could enjoy it and catch up with her family ... it wasn't fabricated. It was her decision to go further out to sea, take her time and get some sleep."

Has anyone checked she did actually sail around the world?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.