Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Jessica Watson has returned.

Jessica Watson has returned.

Old May 15th 2010, 8:25 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Jessica Watson has returned.

Originally Posted by Deancm
By funding this trip for her, one thing her parents haven't taught her is the value of money. Now she is going to have a lot of it handed to her on a silver platter...
You don't half talk a lot of bollocks.

Her parents didn't fund it. Her sponsors did:

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/sponsors
Old May 15th 2010, 8:30 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
What I mean is no amount of money or privilege makes you a natural sailor. Shes 16 years old, I wasnt even competent to shave at 16.

Whilst other teens were marvelling at their first pimple or even their first drunken fumble, shes sailed around the world unassisted.
ive have just read ( for the first time today ) some of jessica`s blogs

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/_blo...nd_Over_again/

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/_blo...on_and_Drama!/

its not all been plain sailing pardon the pun

Last edited by steve`o; May 15th 2010 at 8:42 am. Reason: added another link
Old May 15th 2010, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

By funding this trip for her, one thing her parents haven't taught her is the value of money. Now she is going to have a lot of it handed to her on a silver platter...
You don't know much about the family, do you?
Old May 15th 2010, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
You don't half talk a lot of bollocks.

Her parents didn't fund it. Her sponsors did:

http://www.jessicawatson.com.au/sponsors
No shit Sherlock! Who funded it is not the point. The point is she didn't fund it herself or even arrange the funding with the sponsors. Her parents may not have actually physically funded it, however they would have sought out the sponsors and negotiated the sponsorship deals. Hence there is a lesson there about acquiring money and money management that she hasn't learnt.

In a way she is extremely priviledged to have been able to do what she did. Sailing solo around the world is an extremely expensive exercise and the money has to come from somewhere. Does she realise this?

Here's a scenario for you. If you were filthy rich and had a son or daughter that came to you and said "Mum, can you buy me that Ferrari?" what would your response be?

a) OK here you go, one red Ferrari.

Or...

b) Get a job and work for it yourself and learn the value of money
Old May 15th 2010, 9:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Gibbo
You don't know much about the family, do you?
I don't know anything about the family. Do you?
Old May 15th 2010, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
i know a lot of "boaties" who would be just as puzzled
Depends on what sort of boaties naturally(!) Obviously it's not like people need to master Dead Reckoning, slippage etc or have to sight a star nowadays! But parts of the syllabus teach this or introduce the basics or kindle an interest.

Originally Posted by norfolkpedlar
Is that what I said?
Not exactly, but it was the old line of where she comes from etc.

Originally Posted by Gibbo
Why is it that so many on this site assume that she is from a wealthy family? Is it because only the wealthy in England go sailing? In Australia many people enjoy sailing not just those who are rich.
As a young girl she has shown remarkable determination and skill. Well done Jessica. I don't care whether your family is rich or poor, you have done what a lot of people thought that you couldn't do.
And she had that false start too!
Old May 15th 2010, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about the family. Do you?
No, I don't and so I don't make comments on their values or anythingelse pertaining to them. Perhaps you should do likewise.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a scenario for you. If you were filthy rich and had a son or daughter that came to you and said "Mum, can you buy me that Ferrari?" what would your response be?

a) OK here you go, one red Ferrari.

Or...

Of course, most people would say b) but they might not know the family situation. It depends. You might have already imbued in your children the values they need to live a life and the Ferrari is no big deal. Your children might share with you the interest and spent their entire lives growing up with the car. I know a bloke who has been making 250k cars for years. His daughter will grow up expecting that owning specials cars is one of life's pleasures. And so she should.

What happens when a Premiership footballer comes into some money and buys a Ferrari? He's bought that on the back of his peculiar skills, some of which came naturally to him, not vast education or massive work like some of us know it. I mean, many footballers are being paid something to do what they would do anyhow. Do they get taught the value of having to work in a position where they get paid far less for something they are not blessed at doing or hate? Bet most of the board who hate the rich and privileged would shrug it off and say 'Good on him'. What about David Beckham's sons - are they football geniuses. They are benefitting from David's skills and position.

Sometimes the children of the fortunate do well!
Old May 15th 2010, 9:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Sometimes the children of the fortunate do well!
Yes, sometimes they do do well. Sometimes they turn out like Paris Hilton...
Old May 15th 2010, 9:44 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

No shit Sherlock! Who funded it is not the point.
Then why did you say 'By funding this trip for her, one thing her parents haven't taught her is the value of money.'

The point is she didn't fund it herself or even arrange the funding with the sponsors.
She didn't? How do you know that exactly cos I can find not a mention of who arranged it on the web. But then I haven't read her blog. It's probably in there perhaps.

Her parents....would have sought out the sponsors and negotiated the sponsorship deals. Hence there is a lesson there about acquiring money and money management that she hasn't learnt.
How do you know what they did or what she did or didn't do?

Sailing solo around the world is an extremely expensive exercise and the money has to come from somewhere. Does she realise this?
I don't know. Have you asked her? You seem intimately acquainted with her.

Well once again, you don't know either way, do you.

You sound like you're jealous Dean. Full of sour grapes for this kid and what she's accomplished. You really haven't got a clue whether you're right or not, you're just spouting off. Sounds like you had a shitty childhood and you're not happy to let anyone have any success whether they did it off their own bat or their parent's. Doesn't matter one jot if she 'understands the value of money' or not. Seems she understands how to handle a yacht, how to handle an ocean, how to handle being lonely, how to handle independence, and how to handle success, amongst many other things.

Seems like some pretty good lessons I'd like my 16yr old to learn.
Old May 15th 2010, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, sometimes they do do well. Sometimes they turn out like Paris Hilton...
It's a shame then that she got so much airtime. Put her in a boat.
Old May 15th 2010, 10:05 am
ABCDiamond

By funding this trip for her, one thing her parents haven't taught her is the value of money.
So, you say that her parents funded her trip.

Followed by:
Who funded it is not the point.
What is the real point of your point ? That her parents treat her as a spoilt child, who does nothing for herself ?

I am somewhat confused...

Old May 15th 2010, 10:05 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
What I mean is no amount of money or privilege makes you a natural sailor. Shes 16 years old, I wasnt even competent to shave at 16.

Whilst other teens were marvelling at their first pimple or even their first drunken fumble, shes sailed around the world unassisted.
If she can do this whilst marvelling at her first pimple and having a drunken fumble I say fair play to the Floating Feotus
Old May 15th 2010, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
If she can do this whilst marvelling at her first pimple and having a drunken fumble I say fair play to the Floating Feotus
I'd say that she has transcended all that.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

billabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to allbillabongbunyip is a name known to all

Well I think sailing around the world alone is pretty amazing for anyone to do, let alone a 16 year old girl.

I would be too scared to sail on Sydney Harbour during a swell by myself, let alone handling a boat in open seas, thousands of kilometers from land, all by myself, for 7 months.

I don’t think she is a “hero” as such (as per media reports) – a hero to me is a fireman or even member of the public who puts their life on the line to rescue someone from a life threatening and dire situation.

But given that Australia treats its footballers and cricketers as heroes – I am sure not many people would agree with my views.

However, she is certainly someone who can be admired by other teens – a good role model of somebody who has achieved her dream at an early age.

So many teenagers these days use that airhead Paris Hilton as a role model – so it would be good to have a role model who has actually done and achieved something.

Today I have read some really nasty and mean spirited comments from adults about her achievement. The Tall Poppy Syndrome is certainly alive and well in Australia.....unfortunately.

Really, who cares who funded her trip – stop detracting from what is an excellent achievement.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.