Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

JEN'S FIRST TRIP BACK TO THE UK!

JEN'S FIRST TRIP BACK TO THE UK!

Old Mar 5th 2012, 10:40 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default JEN'S FIRST TRIP BACK TO THE UK!

I am very excited, this will be the first time I've been back since we left in February 2010. Looking forward to catching up with everyone, have a little schedule together of all of the different people I'm staying with. Dad and my two brothers have hired me a car for the 23 days, so I'll not be depending on people to drive me around. It's just me going over, as my OH's folks have been over since we moved here, and the OH has no desire to see the UK again ever, ha.

I'm aiming to take as little as I can with me, luggage wise and then fill my case up when I'm over there. I also hope to fill a small box full of stuff to send back, can't wait to go nuts in M&S and Next.

I'm quite pleased as I've just recently got to my goal weight, having lost 10.4kg (23 pounds for you Brits) so I'm ever so slightly concerned about the strength of my willpower while I'm there. I do intend to indulge a little but to counteract any damage I do I've already got a load of gym sessions sorted, so here's hoping I don't come back a blob!

Anyone any tips for someone whose going back for the first time since the big Aussie move?
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 4 MORE SLEEPS TIL MY FIRST TRIP BACK TO THE UK!

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
I am very excited, this will be the first time I've been back since we left in February 2010. Looking forward to catching up with everyone, have a little schedule together of all of the different people I'm staying with. Dad and my two brothers have hired me a car for the 23 days, so I'll not be depending on people to drive me around. It's just me going over, as my OH's folks have been over since we moved here, and the OH has no desire to see the UK again ever, ha.

I'm aiming to take as little as I can with me, luggage wise and then fill my case up when I'm over there. I also hope to fill a small box full of stuff to send back, can't wait to go nuts in M&S and Next.

I'm quite pleased as I've just recently got to my goal weight, having lost 10.4kg (23 pounds for you Brits) so I'm ever so slightly concerned about the strength of my willpower while I'm there. I do intend to indulge a little but to counteract any damage I do I've already got a load of gym sessions sorted, so here's hoping I don't come back a blob!

Anyone any tips for someone whose going back for the first time since the big Aussie move?
Take several credit cards and a couple of empty suitcase
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky, lucky you!!! I'm quite green with envy....

Been here 4 1/2 years and no sign of a trip back anytime soon ... I would be heading to poundland and stockingup on some of their cute pinks and white union jack T Towels!!! but then I'm a total saddo!!!!

But only once I've done the M&S, and TK Maxx thing.... But I'd have to go find a TK Maxx because our local one closed down apparently...
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I took nearly empty suitcases, and stocked up on undies and t-shirts. OH got shirts and suits and we all got shoes. DD got a new jacket and some CDs, and we all did the touristy things that we had never bothered to do while living in the UK.

Have a great time, and congrats on fabulous weight loss.

OOH- home for St Patrick's day too.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 12:43 am
Spud

spuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond reputespuddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Steak pudding, chips, peas and gravy in a tray ! Real Pork Pies, Real chocolate, Lancashire cheese, cumberland sausage.............. Blobby, blobby. blobby.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:28 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Steak pudding, chips, peas and gravy in a tray ! Real Pork Pies, Real chocolate, Lancashire cheese, cumberland sausage.............. Blobby, blobby. blobby.
Oh yes, a Hollands Steak and Kidney pudding, chips and gravy. The taste of my youth!!
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:07 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I took nearly empty suitcases, and stocked up on undies and t-shirts. OH got shirts and suits and we all got shoes. DD got a new jacket and some CDs, and we all did the touristy things that we had never bothered to do while living in the UK.

Have a great time, and congrats on fabulous weight loss.

OOH- home for St Patrick's day too.
Yes, and my birthday on the 19th, DOUBLE CELEBRATION!!!

I intend to indulge on a decent chinese, indian, fish and chips and some CRISPS and chocolate, but apart from that, I'll be being a good girl! lol
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if you could argue with the airline that you've lost all this weight before flying so can you please have that added to your luggage allowance to come home with?????

They would have had to fly YOUR excess baggage at no extra cost to you... So why not allow you the excess baggage in your... Um ...excess baggage when you come back,

If at makes sense.... Which its beginning not to, to me, and I wrote the damned thing...
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:56 am

julesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond reputejulesandco has a reputation beyond repute

I was disappointed with some of the foods that I'd really hankered for.

I was longing for a fresh jam donut - that wasn't as lush as I'd remembered - and things just tasted 'different' to how I'd remembered them.

Even made my Mum bring an M&S prawn and mayo sandwich to the airport and that didn't hit the spot either.

Guess my taste buds have moved on, like the rest of me!

Enjoy the shopping though - that DEFINATELY didn't disappoint
Old Mar 6th 2012, 3:59 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesandco

I was longing for a fresh jam donut - that wasn't as lush as I'd remembered - and things just tasted 'different' to how I'd remembered them.

Even made my Mum bring an M&S prawn and mayo sandwich to the airport and that didn't hit the spot either.

I felt the same, the only thing that lived up to how I remembered it was the fish, chips and mushy peas. They were totally lush!!!!! I so wish there was a proper chippy here although I am sure my arse is quite grateful
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
Yes, and my birthday on the 19th, DOUBLE CELEBRATION!!!

I intend to indulge on a decent chinese, indian, fish and chips and some CRISPS and chocolate, but apart from that, I'll be being a good girl! lol
I also craved most of that stuff...until I had them. They don't taste as good as the memory thinks they taste

Originally Posted by julesandco

See!! told ya!

(The shopping didn't impress me at all. Spent two whole days going round the White Rose centre, and came back with two jumpers...only because I didn't have any and it was cold though!!)

Originally Posted by northernbird
I felt the same, the only thing that lived up to how I remembered it was the fish, chips and mushy peas. They were totally lush!!!!! I so wish there was a proper chippy here although I am sure my arse is quite grateful
We have a lovely chip shop here in SA. They sell real chips (and even have salt & vinegar on the counter! )

There's another one closer to me with real chips - no vinegar though

I think this was the only thing that tasted the same as I remember too though...except they were a lot greasier than I am used to now, so I almost never finished the whole lot
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:49 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe not where you went.

Originally Posted by Wendy
I also craved most of that stuff...until I had them. They don't taste as good as the memory thinks they taste
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:51 am
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by chris955
How can you argue how Wendy thought things tasted, you really will try and argue with anything won't you. Wendy's comments, as well as mine, are truly subjective.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Old Mar 6th 2012, 6:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

'They don't taste as good as the memory thinks they taste'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.