JB HIFI

Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:10 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JB HIFI

Originally Posted by Syedney
Interesting...Sound almost like a lottery!

If you're unlucky you don't get the jackpot! But you can win it even if you're on 457!!

No wonder this is called down under
Been here over two years on a 457. I've never wanted credit, but the Queensland driving license I got was issued in about five minutes when I showed them my French one, and doesn't say anything about residency.

I do think the issue might revolve around lenders' insurance. I did try to get a mortgage at one point and the mortgage lender's insurance was not approved because I wasn't a resident.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Been here over two years on a 457. I've never wanted credit, but the Queensland driving license I got was issued in about five minutes when I showed them my French one, and doesn't say anything about residency.

I do think the issue might revolve around lenders' insurance. I did try to get a mortgage at one point and the mortgage lender's insurance was not approved because I wasn't a resident.

I don't know if the RTA (Which I believe it to be the equivalent to UK's DVLA) have recently changed the rules, but you can see on their site they say they'll stamp the passport with words to the effect that the holder hasn't proven his residency...(Or in an Australian way: The holder is not a resident! )

Let me sum up the life of a 457 person here in NSW:

1) You pay for ambulance

2) You pay for each child's education to the tune of $4,500 per school year.

3) You're considered to be Resident for TAX purposes.

4) You're not a Resident for anything else (including schooling + getting finance)

5) You're at the mercy of your employer

6) If your employer (sponsor) kicks you out, you have less than a month (28days) to leave the country!

How nice!!

When you think most people on 457 are SKILLED people who are here because of lack of local skilled people, and thus we are here to esnure that the industry which lacks the right people can carry on and support the economy, you would think that they'd make special allowances for us!

No offence to those who came here a PRs...We did try that route with OH but the DIAC changed rules regarding qualifications, and that gazumped he whole idea. OH is a hairdresser btw.

I'd probably get better treated if I was a boat person...

Sorry, I digress...

I will put together a thread where I am going to warn those people coming here on 457....
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Burbage
QLD is different on that.
In fact I am pretty sure that it is only NSW that does that on a Temp Visa holders licence.
It is also the result of a recent change in NSW.

Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:13 pm
ABCDiamond

That also applies in the ACT, but not in any other State.

Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:22 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Syedney, those are all things that you must/should have known about before you accepted a 457?

Sorry to sound harsh but you've not been here long and from reading a few of your posts I'm concerned that you're in danger of sinking into a depression and/or ending up on the MBTTUK forum before you even get your plasma TV!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 11:24 pm
ABCDiamond

1) You pay for ambulance
That is the same for all NSW residents, including Australian Citizens, unless they take out insurance.

It is covered in a lot of normal Health Insurance policies, but can be obtained separately for $29.40 at http://www.medibank.com.au/Client/St...nce/Quote.aspx

Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

I don't know if the RTA (Which I believe it to be the equivalent to UK's DVLA) have recently changed the rules, but you can see on their site they say they'll stamp the passport with words to the effect that the holder hasn't proven his residency...(Or in an Australian way: The holder is not a resident! )

1) You pay for ambulance

3) You're considered to be Resident for TAX purposes.

4) You're not a Resident for anything else (including schooling + getting finance)

5) You're at the mercy of your employer

6) If your employer (sponsor) kicks you out, you have less than a month (28days) to leave the country!

How nice!!

When you think most people on 457 are SKILLED people who are here because of lack of local skilled people, and thus we are here to esnure that the industry which lacks the right people can carry on and support the economy, you would think that they'd make special allowances for us!

No offence to those who came here a PRs...We did try that route with OH but the DIAC changed rules regarding qualifications, and that gazumped he whole idea. OH is a hairdresser btw.

I'd probably get better treated if I was a boat person...

Sorry, I digress...

I will put together a thread where I am going to warn those people coming here on 457....
It is true, but you cant blame them...

anyway, you have 28 days to find a new sponsor ELSE get kicked out.

AND , enjoy your LAFHA and a big fat tax refund at the end of June.... That is about the only 'other' benefit. Apart from living in Oz, that is...

Ambo membership is, IMO, essential....
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Syedney, those are all things that you must/should have known about before you accepted a 457?

Sorry to sound harsh but you've not been here long and from reading a few of your posts I'm concerned that you're in danger of sinking into a depression and/or ending up on the MBTTUK forum before you even get your plasma TV!

You're right...I did know most of it but really when in you're in UK, these things don't affect you much. Now that I am here, I am seeing/experiencing them at first hand and thus probably I am overreacting to all of these..

I guess once one settles down, life just becomes a norm and everything just slots in...

I was at one stage getting pretty low...Now, I don't at all.

I think that this country has a lot of positive things too. (Honest that's me saying these things!! )

I guess I am trying to get my feet here...And it has helped me a lot to get some opinions about life here from people on this forum. As well as from a lot of expats I meet, whether at work or elsewhere...

I am sorry but this is my first venture as a migrant away from my home comforts and it's probably showing...

PS Update on TV ----------------------------------

Since Foxtel were on their way and I had to get a TV asap, I pooped into a cashtraders yesterday in Dee WHY, and got a secondhand 21inch Sharp TV for $60 which is now plugged into the Foxtel! (yahoooooooo!!)

So this has quitened the little + myself down a bit...Also, now I can get regular news from home...You don't know how much this means to me.

Also, the footy...Ah the "proper" footy on TV...Music to my ears!!

In fact, I am planning to stay awake on Monday morning as my beloved Spurs are on TV!!! Not seen them play since mid-November!!!

Btw, thanks seasider for your concerns

Also, plasma is on hold for now...Until I can work out a cunning plan, but not like Boldrick I hope
Old Jan 10th 2009, 12:56 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I am trying to get my feet here...

I am sorry but this is my first venture as a migrant away from my home comforts and it's probably showing...
No worries, we were all there once (in some cases more than once), just don't let the little niggles get to you and you'll be right.

I will however put you straight on one thing I often wished some of my fellow expats in Singapore would realise - the country won't fall apart without you, you're not doing them a favour by being here, you are a visitor, so you need to get the feeling of being needed and entitled to "special allowances" out of your head and then you won't be continually disappointed.

Tough love, my speciality.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
No worries, we were all there once (in some cases more than once), just don't let the little niggles get to you and you'll be right.

I will however put you straight on one thing I often wished some of my fellow expats in Singapore would realise - the country won't fall apart without you, you're not doing them a favour by being here, you are a visitor, so you need to get the feeling of being needed and entitled to "special allowances" out of your head and then you won't be continually disappointed.

Tough love, my speciality.

I must admit that I had to come down a bit from the intial feeling of "I came here because I am needed" kind of attitude...Though that didn't last long because I can keep my self in check...

I didn't mean that 457 should be given special allowance but God knows that I did give that impression!!

What I meant is that 457 people should have access to same facilities/privieliges as locals do, for same prices/fees as locals, because 457 people are considered to be "residents" for tax purposes. Same as locals!

Effectively, we pay our taxes just like any Australian (if not more taxes!)
but on top of this we have to pay for stuff like our kids schooling!

Sorry, that's hypocritical to me!

Anyway, I guess I am not the only one in this boat...So let's move on!

Every cloud has a silverlining...I guess that sliverlining is the beautiful country, gorgeous (sometimes!) weather and the beaches...Not forgetting the fresh supply of Oysters, prawns and steak!!

Love those oysters!!....Aphrodisiac too..

Guess that's why the missus not soo keen on them...
Old Jan 11th 2009, 11:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

I must admit that I had to come down a bit from the intial feeling of "I came here because I am needed" kind of attitude...Though that didn't last long because I can keep my self in check...

I didn't mean that 457 should be given special allowance but God knows that I did give that impression!!

What I meant is that 457 people should have access to same facilities/privieliges as locals do, for same prices/fees as locals, because 457 people are considered to be "residents" for tax purposes. Same as locals!

Effectively, we pay our taxes just like any Australian (if not more taxes!)
but on top of this we have to pay for stuff like our kids schooling!

Sorry, that's hypocritical to me!

Anyway, I guess I am not the only one in this boat...So let's move on!

Every cloud has a silverlining...I guess that sliverlining is the beautiful country, gorgeous (sometimes!) weather and the beaches...Not forgetting the fresh supply of Oysters, prawns and steak!!

Love those oysters!!....Aphrodisiac too..

Guess that's why the missus not soo keen on them...
It seems that one other option left for us could be renting...We desperately need a fridge/freezer (mid size) and a sofa. I haven't checked out any store for this but heard or read about that you can almost rent most white goods in Sydney...

Anyone done this?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 2:46 am
ABCDiamond

It seems that one other option left for us could be renting...We desperately need a fridge/freezer (mid size) and a sofa. I haven't checked out any store for this but heard or read about that you can almost rent most white goods in Sydney...

Anyone done this?
I've checked out prices in the past, and they seemed very expensive, when compared to buying.

A 322L Fridge Freezer for $ 527 at the Goodguys.
But check out ALDI or Kmart, they often have some real bargains.

Compared to renting
$1,010 for a 385L Fridge freezer over the minimum 18 month term
or
$776 for a 260L Fridge freezer over the minimum 18 month term
http://www.radio-rentals.com.au/prod.../Refrigerators

or
PHD rentals
http://www.phdrentals.com.au/applian...ridge-hire.htm
$251.40 270 Litre Refrigerator $42.90 per month min 6 months

Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I've checked out prices in the past, and they seemed very expensive, when compared to buying.

A 322L Fridge Freezer for $ 527 at the Goodguys.
But check out ALDI or Kmart, they often have some real bargains.

Compared to renting
$1,010 for a 385L Fridge freezer over the minimum 18 month term
or
$776 for a 260L Fridge freezer over the minimum 18 month term
http://www.radio-rentals.com.au/prod.../Refrigerators

or
PHD rentals
http://www.phdrentals.com.au/applian...ridge-hire.htm
$251.40 270 Litre Refrigerator $42.90 per month min 6 months

Mate you're a life saver.. Thanks for your research

Yes, I guess I had an incline that it may be more expensive this way but as this would be a better option for me than outright buy (as I don't have the wonga!!) then you know what they say "beggars can't be choosers!!"...

But from $500 to $1000...
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:31 am
ABCDiamond

Have a look at : Seconds World in Sydney - Fridge Freezers, Washing machines etc, they may be scratched, but they still work

http://www.2ndsworld.com.au/

Old Jan 12th 2009, 5:31 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess you guys are the contractors of the Visa world. Disposable when no longer needed. Unfortunately the 457 system has been rorted by a number of agencies and companies and been used to bring over unskilled people. I knew an IT person on one who was helpdesk.

Still anyone paying their full taxes should be entitled to the same services as a resident.