JB HIFI

Old Jan 7th 2009, 2:46 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: JB HIFI

Originally Posted by Wendy
Have you tried the other places like Harvey Normans, Radio Rentals, Good Guys etc?

Worth a try!
The way Harvey Norman are going they might pay you to help them clear down their warehouse before they go bust?
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
Also check out 2nds World on Military Road, Cremorne (just opposite the Maccas)... they are cheap, and do finance options. We have bought losts of stuff from there in the past.
Steve

www.secondsworld.com.au

Cool...Thanks!

Will definitely plan a trip there too...We need some other white goods..We don't even have a kettle...Dearyme
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Generali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the roughGenerali is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Syedney
Just back from a fruitless trip to JB HIFI, where I went in to find out what documents they need for payment by instalments for a Plasma TV...

One criteria short!!!

Salary over $25k: Tick
Employed: Tick
Australian Citizen:.....Hmmmmm no!

What? I am afraid that's where my Plasma dreams were shattered...

Can't afford the full payment upfront with all the expenses I have incurred so far...I can easily afford the monthly payments though...

You could always try the old fashioned approach of saving up to buy it.
Old Jan 7th 2009, 3:58 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Generali
Heretic....
Old Jan 7th 2009, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Generali

I guess I could...But then Foxtel are coming on friday

Naah...saving doens't work with me
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

I guess I could...But then Foxtel are coming on friday

Naah...saving doens't work with me
Just a quick update...

Went to Bing Lee at Warringah Mall. They do finance with...HSBC!!!

They also ask for proof of residency

I showed the salesman the documents I have: Medicare card and Debit/Mastercard from Commonwealth and was told all I needed was either an Australian Driving Licence or a Passport proving my residency...

Does anyone know how long it takes to get an Australian Driving Licence? And which office issues such things (equivalent to DVLA)?

Btw, I have held my Full UK for 12 years...

Tomorrow: will visit the 2nd Worlds/Harvey Norman.

If Australian Licence is something that can be got at quickly (same day would be nice!)...Then a detour to one those office will be order of the day!!)...

Cheers folks!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 7:53 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

If you're on a 457 you can't get one for 6 months, IIRC. Definitely some period of time - in NSW at least.

You can get a Photo Card instead - not sure it will help for this but it does help 457 holders as a form of ID, my husband got one when they said he couldn't have a driving license.

You get them from the RTA. www.rta.nsw.gov.au
Old Jan 8th 2009, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

scor is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it not impossible/illegal to obtain credit if your not a permanent resident of Australia?

Well, I thought so... but I still managed to take out a mobile phone plan through 3Mobile whilst on an ETA!!

By the way, JB-HIFI use either hsbc or GE for their finance, we got a TV from them a couple of months ago when they had the free PS3 offer on all sony's.
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
If you're on a 457 you can't get one for 6 months, IIRC. Definitely some period of time - in NSW at least.

You can get a Photo Card instead - not sure it will help for this but it does help 457 holders as a form of ID, my husband got one when they said he couldn't have a driving license.

You get them from the RTA. www.rta.nsw.gov.au

Thanks for the info & link...I know now that people on 457 cannot apply for licence here until six months after coming to the country (six months from last entry into the country)...

Somethings make sense some other not...Ok, it's risky from companies point of view to give you finance when you're technically a visitor of the country...Understand that...But why then consider 457 people as residents for tax purposes?

Just whatever suits Australia...me thinks!

Just got a nasty surprise today...

A week after we first came here, I had a mini asthma attack (brougth on by the extreme heat) and my OH called the ambulance...

Few days on...I have received a bill for the ambulance visit (after discounts) of $305!!! ....

Blimey!

We never charge anyone in UK for calling an ambulance!

Wouldn't this mean that next time, someone will not call an ambulance for fear of the charge?!? Could be dead by the time someone calls one!

Maybe just whingeing but somethings don't make sense here...I now do appreciate more the NHS...God bless NHS!

Never thought I would ever say that!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 10:45 am
ABCDiamond

A 'NSW' Licence will be no use to you, on a 457 Visa, as you will receive a Q licence, marked "Evidence of permanent resident status not provided to the RTA"

Regarding the ambulance costs, everyone needs to take out Ambulance cover, (except us in QLD, and I think Tasmania ? who don't need it), it isn't too expensive.
But I thought it was included in all private health insurance policies, which all 457 Visa holders are supposed to have.

But even if it isn't, wouldnt it be payable by the sponsor under this condition
If you do not have health insurance and you or your family require treatment in a public hospital, your sponsor is responsible for paying these costs.

Old Jan 8th 2009, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A 'NSW' Licence will be no use to you, on a 457 Visa, as you will receive a Q licence, marked "Evidence of permanent resident status not provided to the RTA"

Regarding the ambulance costs, everyone needs to take out Ambulance cover, (except us in QLD, and I think Tasmania ? who don't need it), it isn't too expensive.
But I thought it was included in all private health insurance policies, which all 457 Visa holders are supposed to have.

But even if it isn't, wouldnt it be payable by the sponsor under this condition

Yes, I did see read that the licence will be marked clearly to say in roundabout way that the holder may be a Visitor...

I did read about the ambulance cover somewhere on this forum and before I could get this sorted, I ended up needing one Sod's law

My employer has so far refused us LAFHA and I doubt it they would even consider paying for the ambulance...

But I have a simple cover which I'll look at tomorrow to see if I can make any claims...Just moved some of our papers/personal belongings to Dee Why, while we are still in North Sydney...

So an anxiuos night is expected...Not knowing if I am covered...From memory, I don't think so, though...

I am not getting depressed anymore like I used to in the first few days of coming here when anything remotely upsetting happened...I guess I understand more and better no, that being in the country in the begining we are all going to make mistakes, and it will be costly but as gradually, we get hang off how things work, I am sure we will be alright (the locals says "she'll be arright!!")...

I does help a lot to have advice from expats and sites like this one

I am not going to ask for finance anymore...I think that path is closed for 457 people like us...And probably rightly so too.

Have heard from our mate in England that Woolies over there have gone bust

Another mate of ours is a scaffolder, and he is quite down as a lot of people in the construction buildings have lost their jobs...

Gloomy times in UK...

So not really a time to get financial debt, me thinks!
Old Jan 8th 2009, 9:27 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I did see read that the licence will be marked clearly to say in roundabout way that the holder may be a Visitor...

I did read about the ambulance cover somewhere on this forum and before I could get this sorted, I ended up needing one Sod's law

My employer has so far refused us LAFHA and I doubt it they would even consider paying for the ambulance...

But I have a simple cover which I'll look at tomorrow to see if I can make any claims...Just moved some of our papers/personal belongings to Dee Why, while we are still in North Sydney...

So an anxiuos night is expected...Not knowing if I am covered...From memory, I don't think so, though...

I am not getting depressed anymore like I used to in the first few days of coming here when anything remotely upsetting happened...I guess I understand more and better no, that being in the country in the begining we are all going to make mistakes, and it will be costly but as gradually, we get hang off how things work, I am sure we will be alright (the locals says "she'll be arright!!")...

I does help a lot to have advice from expats and sites like this one

I am not going to ask for finance anymore...I think that path is closed for 457 people like us...And probably rightly so too.

Have heard from our mate in England that Woolies over there have gone bust

Another mate of ours is a scaffolder, and he is quite down as a lot of people in the construction buildings have lost their jobs...

Gloomy times in UK...

So not really a time to get financial debt, me thinks!
Technically, on a 457, your employer is responsible for all your medical expenses whilst in Australia. That is why they often insist you take out medical insurance as part of your contract as it removes that responsibility from them.
So if that clause is not in your contract, then you should be able to be reimbursed for ambulance costs etc in your pay packet.
Good luck!
Steve
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:35 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I was on 457 visa for almost six years and had only limited problems with getting credit.

Some credit card issuers are fine with 457(commbank and Aussie spring to mind). That may be cheaper than a stores own finance deal.

I iniitailly tried to get car finance through COmmbank but they refused; BMW finance had no such concerns (and this was for a novated lease scheme).
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stevemich
Technically, on a 457, your employer is responsible for all your medical expenses whilst in Australia. That is why they often insist you take out medical insurance as part of your contract as it removes that responsibility from them.
So if that clause is not in your contract, then you should be able to be reimbursed for ambulance costs etc in your pay packet.
Good luck!
Steve

Unfortuantely, that clause is in my contract but I have yet to sign it yet!!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jayr
I was on 457 visa for almost six years and had only limited problems with getting credit.

Some credit card issuers are fine with 457(commbank and Aussie spring to mind). That may be cheaper than a stores own finance deal.

I iniitailly tried to get car finance through COmmbank but they refused; BMW finance had no such concerns (and this was for a novated lease scheme).

Interesting...Sound almost like a lottery!

If you're unlucky you don't get the jackpot! But you can win it even if you're on 457!!

No wonder this is called down under

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.