British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   JB HIFI (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/jb-hifi-582133/)

Syedney Jan 6th 2009 9:46 am

JB HIFI

Just back from a fruitless trip to JB HIFI, where I went in to find out what documents they need for payment by instalments for a Plasma TV...

One criteria short!!!

Salary over $25k: Tick
Employed: Tick
Australian Citizen:.....Hmmmmm no!:eek:

What? I am afraid that's where my Plasma dreams were shattered...:(

Can't afford the full payment upfront with all the expenses I have incurred so far...I can easily afford the monthly payments though...:confused:

homewardbound Jan 6th 2009 10:46 am

Re: JB HIFI

Oh no bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

viviennef Jan 6th 2009 10:49 am

try bing lee or something - I know we got a ge creditline card when we were permanent residents for the interest free deals.

I may have just ticked the box I suppose .....

Syedney Jan 6th 2009 11:07 am

Originally Posted by homewardbound (Post 7132207)
Oh no bummerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Tell me about it...Had to break the bad news to the eagerly awaiting 10 year old that we won't be getting a plasma..:(

Moving into a new rented flat on Friday with foxtel being installed the same day too...Without a TV!!:eek:

Guess will be looking for a second hand TV now...

Hmmm, any ideas where to find these old creatures in Sydney (specifically Northern Beaches)?

Wendy Jan 6th 2009 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 7132261)
Tell me about it...Had to break the bad news to the eagerly awaiting 10 year old that we won't be getting a plasma..:(

Moving into a new rented flat on Friday with foxtel being installed the same day too...Without a TV!!:eek:

Guess will be looking for a second hand TV now...

Hmmm, any ideas where to find these old creatures in Sydney (specifically Northern Beaches)?

Have you tried the other places like Harvey Normans, Radio Rentals, Good Guys etc?

Worth a try! :D

Syedney Jan 6th 2009 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7132270)
Have you tried the other places like Harvey Normans, Radio Rentals, Good Guys etc?

Worth a try! :D

We didn't...To be honest, we felt so dejected when turned down by JB Hifi, that we decided to leave the shopping mall (Warringah!) altogether...

On the way home, my little one kept asking the OH and me "why do we need to be Australians to get a TV??"...Was hard to explain to her that the finance company required this and had nothing to do with JB salesman...

May give the other ones a try Wendy ...Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

Wendy Jan 6th 2009 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 7132284)
We didn't...To be honest, we felt so dejected when turned down by JB Hifi, that we decided to leave the shopping mall (Warringah!) altogether...

On the way home, my little one kept asking the OH and me "why do we need to be Australians to get a TV??"...Was hard to explain to her that the finance company required this and had nothing to do with JB salesman...

May give the other ones a try Wendy ...Thanks for the advice :thumbup:

You want one with lots of salesmen all fighting for the custom, so choose a largish store with a competitor nearby. Tell them that you CAN get it from their competitor for XX price (something not too silly, but competitive to the price they have) then say if you can do me finance and that price I'll buy from you ;):D

gedge Jan 6th 2009 11:50 am

...and make a promise to only watch The Castle or reruns of Hey Hey It's Saturday on it

Syedney Jan 6th 2009 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 7132295)
You want one with lots of salesmen all fighting for the custom, so choose a largish store with a competitor nearby. Tell them that you CAN get it from their competitor for XX price (something not too silly, but competitive to the price they have) then say if you can do me finance and that price I'll buy from you ;):D

Great plan...Will definitely try that...To be honest, JB Hifi wasn't that packed today when went there...They were choka pre-Xmas period...May have missed my chance there...

Failing all, I'll might put on a false Ozzie accent, swear a lot and call everyone "mate" at the store and pretend to be a local...Wing it :rofl:

Syedney Jan 6th 2009 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by gedge (Post 7132393)
...and make a promise to only watch The Castle or reruns of Hey Hey It's Saturday on it

Lol..That's sure to get the locals ranting and raving...:rofl:

Has it worked before?

Fenton Beasley Jan 6th 2009 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 7132424)
Great plan...Will definitely try that...To be honest, JB Hifi wasn't that packed today when went there...They were choka pre-Xmas period...May have missed my chance there...

Failing all, I'll might put on a false Ozzie accent, swear a lot and call everyone "mate" at the store and pretend to be a local...Wing it :rofl:

And take your shoes off before going in :thumbup:

Syedney Jan 6th 2009 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley (Post 7132443)
And take your shoes off before going in :thumbup:

Just been told by OH not to wash my hair too!! :rofl:

Fenton Beasley Jan 6th 2009 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 7132454)
Just been told by OH not to wash my hair too!! :rofl:

The dirty bastards :D

Syedney Jan 6th 2009 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley (Post 7132468)
The dirty bastards :D

Guess they think swimming in the ocean is enough to get washed! :eek:

Have to say the bloke in JB Hifi looked like a prat... Sounded too as daft as a brush!!

OH asked him if the fact that I earned way above the $25k mattered? Instead of making sense, he made loud grunting noise (like a long HUH?)...

Made us chuckle...:rofl:

ABCDiamond Jan 6th 2009 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Syedney (Post 7132052)
Just back from a fruitless trip to JB HIFI, where I went in to find out what documents they need for payment by instalments for a Plasma TV...

One criteria short!!!

Salary over $25k: Tick
Employed: Tick
Australian Citizen:.....Hmmmmm no!:eek:

What? I am afraid that's where my Plasma dreams were shattered...:(

Can't afford the full payment upfront with all the expenses I have incurred so far...I can easily afford the monthly payments though...:confused:

That's weird !!

I've lived here for a total of 18 years now, still not a citizen, and never had that problem. I know someone else who move here in 1972, and only became a citizen in 2008, and has managed to buy things on credit.

I would guess that a mistake must have been made ?

Was the question "Australian Citizen or PR" and maybe the salesperson didn't mention the PR bit ?

Do you know which finance company they use ?