Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

It's a big country with a small population....

Wikiposts

It's a big country with a small population....

Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's a big country with a small population....

>>It's a big country with a small population....<<

(Standard excuse for rip-off prices)

I've just been into my irrigation supplier for a replacement Toro sprinkler head: a small tube of plastic with a few springs etc inside.

I was charged $62.70, about $40 more than I thought would be the going amount. And that is the recommended Toro price here.

I get home and check an American supplier: they quote US$19.95 as the list price and ship it for US$11.46 within the States.

Sure is the lucky country!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:27 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's a big country with a small population....

I think anyone who buys anything here without checking out the overseas price is mental, especially the clothes, I save a fortune buying clothes for my daughters at NewLook, a cheap u.k clothes shop for teens, but the cheap u.k quality for them is better than the quality of the more expensive teen shops here.

I have totally converted some of my aussie workmates to M&S, Next, NewLook, and Bookdepository

Last edited by Margaret3; Jan 27th 2011 at 3:30 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2011, 3:59 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I've just been into my irrigation supplier for a replacement Toro sprinkler head: a small tube of plastic with a few springs etc inside.

I was charged $62.70, about $40 more than I thought would be the going amount. And that is the recommended Toro price here.

I get home and check an American supplier: they quote US$19.95 as the list price and ship it for US$11.46 within the States.

Its probably due to the floods (catch-all phrase that can be applied to any purchase at present no matter how tenuous it seems)
Old Jan 27th 2011, 4:43 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

Yes, I too grow tired of this standard excuse to overcharge consumers.

I ALWAYS doublecheck the cost of things online, and very often use that price as the start of the bargaining process.

S
Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:20 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: It's a big country with a small population....

Originally Posted by Wol
Yep: lucky that we can buy from somewhere else.

Old Jan 27th 2011, 9:58 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Again, today I had to buy a few metres of stick-on velcro: $6.95/m. The American price - same stuff and size - US$0.49c/yd (say about AU$ 0.57c/m). One tenth the price.

To all those about to leave the UK for Paradise and are complaining about "rip-off Britain" - stick the rose tinted glasses on with superglue and don't even *think* of taking them off
Old Jan 27th 2011, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Again, today I had to buy a few metres of stick-on velcro: $6.95/m. The American price - same stuff and size - US$0.49c/yd (say about AU$ 0.57c/m). One tenth the price.

To all those about to leave the UK for Paradise and are complaining about "rip-off Britain" - stick the rose tinted glasses on with superglue and don't even *think* of taking them off
The US has 310 million people. Oz 22.5 million.

1 cent profit in the US is a lot more than 1 cent profit in Oz as they sell much more in the US.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 4:04 am
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Alfresco
The US has 310 million people. Oz 22.5 million.

1 cent profit in the US is a lot more than 1 cent profit in Oz as they sell much more in the US.
There are many reasons that goods should be more expensive in Australia than the USA, but the price disparity is beyond what should be expected. Part of it is the culture in Australia that you just pay whatever it costs, I think this is changing as more and more average people are struggling to make ends meet.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:43 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

After living in Aus for a couple of months and experiencing the eye watering prices here, I realise now that price-wise Britain is a fools paradise.

....Oh to go shopping in the UK!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:46 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't yet seen anyone protesting (other than online) about the extortionately high prices.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I came to Australia 15 years, the cost of goods and services was reasonably priced and in many cases cheaper than overseas. Australia was still a big land mass with a small population back then so the above argument does not make sense to me.
I guess the world was less of a global market back then, but even so, Australia needs to remain competitive to survive regardless of distance and population.

I think there are too many big businesses here who are trying to pull the wool over our eyes but people are getting wise to it - thank goodness.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzExpat
Part of it is the culture in Australia that you just pay whatever it costs,

That comment is almost too stupid for words.

Have you ever graced this fair land with your presence or is your 'information' on the subject gleaned from the pages of the California edition of the National Enquirer ?
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:04 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol

I find this kind of thing - hardware, DIY stuff etc - to be very expensive in Australia. I'm installing the new Clipsal Saturn range of socket outlets and light switches in my house. Because I'm in the industry, I get them at mates rates - much less than trade price. I pay $30-odd for a twin 10A outlet, trade is about $45, full retail is $70-80. The best match that I can see in the UK works out at about $48 retail. Paint is crazy expensive here, so are things like screws, fixings etc.

Saying that, I am finding consumer electrics to be roughly the same overall. I've just bought a Sony LCD TV, and the best UK price that I can see is about 10% less than what I paid. Other stuff like computer parts are cheaper here, appliances a bit more.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to not whinge... I'd rather be ripped off and live here than have cheap as chips in either the uk or usa...

And yes I do shop online from overseas lol
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:40 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its probably due to the floods (catch-all phrase that can be applied to any purchase at present no matter how tenuous it seems)
Why would you want a sprinkler in the floods? They should be cheap as no demand!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.