Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

It's an Aussie thing

It's an Aussie thing

Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:03 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's an Aussie thing

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Its almost as bad as being called 'hen' in Glasgow.
I love 'hen' - reminds me of my dad & uncles etc, people from home in general .

When I lived in England, I loved goin hame at Hogmanay, getting off the train at central station and the taxi drivers saying "where tae hen?"
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:15 am
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I feel sorry for the police, Constables hate this Aussie trait.

Cooler
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: It's an Aussie thing

Down here ion Devon/Cornwall you get called "My Lover". I said it to to an Aussie friend and he went all funny and explained that even tough I am very nice we are just friends.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:49 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
I HATE being called darl.
At first I wondered why an Indian lentil dish was a term of endearment.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 8:55 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Look it's plain to see yer average aussie is as thick as yer average english person,but at least the brits have an understanding of their language
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:13 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BayWhale
Have you ever noticed how the Aussies like to shorten or change your name for you? It's something I noticed as soon as I arrived which was over 40 years ago. I'd had my name for 20 years and all of a sudden I didn't know when someone was talking to me.

When I arrived my sister had been here for a couple of years and she had gone from Jane to Jan, not an improvement, my brother had gone from Tommy to Tom, that was an improvement.

Anyone called Sheryl is Chaz or Chez, that one really confused me for a while. If your name is Julie or Julia you are Jules and if your mam and dad decided to call you Amanda you'll end up being Manda or Mandy.

A Racheal becomes a Rache and a Wendy ends up being a Wen.

Peter becomes Pete and Charles is Chas. It's a good job all blokes don't have red hair, if they did all Australian men would be called Blue.

My name is Rosemary and from the word go I got labelled Rosie and I didn't go for that one little bit, so one day I decided that from now on when I met anyone new I would tell them my name is Rosie.

Bingo, I'm now Rose which suits me just fine.

Have a nice day
Sorry if I've got this all wrong - but - you didn't like Rosemary being shortened to Rosie so you decided to tell everyone your name was Rosie? And you like it? I thought you "didn't go for that"?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

BayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud ofBayWhale has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Sorry if I've got this all wrong - but - you didn't like Rosemary being shortened to Rosie so you decided to tell everyone your name was Rosie? And you like it? I thought you "didn't go for that"?
I say my name is Rosie and they shorten it to Rose which I can live with.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:59 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BayWhale
I say my name is Rosie and they shorten it to Rose which I can live with.
curiouser and curiouser .... crazy people. What the hell is wrong with Rosemary.

So my name is Lorna. What would that become? Lorn?
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

curiouser and curiouser .... crazy people. What the hell is wrong with Rosemary.

So my name is Lorna. What would that become? Lorn?
Probably Lor
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy
Probably Lor
I think I'd hate that. Lor.

The Italians have a way of saying "little" but it's a suffix that they add on to words and is perfectly grammatically correct.

Car - macchina ..... little car becomes a macchinina

Bimba - baby girl ........... becomes a bambina

I have a few friends that have never found an Italian version of my name (I'm not Lorena or Laura or Loretta) but they still found the diminuitive and called me Lornina. I don't mind that from close friends but I might from somebody who doesn't know me.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'd hate that. Lor.

The Italians have a way of saying "little" but it's a suffix that they add on to words and is perfectly grammatically correct.

Car - macchina ..... little car becomes a macchinina

Bimba - baby girl ........... becomes a bambina

I have a few friends that have never found an Italian version of my name (I'm not Lorena or Laura or Loretta) but they still found the diminuitive and called me Lornina. I don't mind that from close friends but I might from somebody who doesn't know me.

If someone calls me something I don't like, I just tell them not to call me that - works for me
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy
If someone calls me something I don't like, I just tell them not to call me that - works for me
It works for me if an Italian says "so your name is Lorna - that's Lorena then."

And I say NO because Lorena is like Lorraine. I am Lorna (and Lornina to few) but with a bit of an Italian Rrrrrrrrr
Old Sep 30th 2010, 10:52 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

Martin is marty now, hes got used to it...
the scousers shortened my name to Kat when i lived up that way and its stuck...been called kitty but only at work
kids names already shortened so not noticed changes there...
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

RachH will become famous soon enoughRachH will become famous soon enough

called our baby Rose but she never gets called that - she always gets called Bub. Always get asked 'hows bub?' ...i hate that!
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Surely anything is better than "Ey up Me Duck" Which is something I heard fairly regularly when I moved to Mkeynes... when the locals where the majority back in the mid 70's

I hear they still say that further North.

They dont seem to say it in MK now. I guess thats some improvement.

I was sure glad I moved away from the family and back on my lonesome to London....MK was hell at that stage for someone just turned 19.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Oct 2nd 2010 at 10:03 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.