Reload this Page >

Its all gone pear shaped

Wikiposts

Its all gone pear shaped

Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

as36 will become famous soon enoughas36 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Its all gone pear shaped

Hi everyone. I moved to Qld Brisbane area end of 2003. Since then I have found myself with a depleated family, divorced, an 18 year old who moved out and a 9 year old who is wondering what went wrong. I thought life in Aussie was gonna be good but now am feeling trapped with no extended family to turn to and very few friends. I feel like upping and going back to UK but it's not that simple is it? Any suggestions to up the morale!
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its all gone pear shaped

Originally Posted by as36
Hi everyone. I moved to Qld Brisbane area end of 2003. Since then I have found myself with a depleated family, divorced, an 18 year old who moved out and a 9 year old who is wondering what went wrong. I thought life in Aussie was gonna be good but now am feeling trapped with no extended family to turn to and very few friends. I feel like upping and going back to UK but it's not that simple is it? Any suggestions to up the morale!
For starters have a look thru' the meet up section as there's a mothers meeting club with kids on a regular occurrence(if you're a female ) and a barbie meet coming up very shortly in the Brizzy area .Here ya go dunnit for ya

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=561984

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=556480

Hopefully this could be a good start for you
Welcome to the forum by the way !
Old Oct 10th 2008, 3:42 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Are you male or female and whereabouts in Brisbane do you live? Someone might just be able to take you under their wing, or go for a drink or be able to help you out somehow
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that - the isolation when things go wrong can be crippling! It never is as easy as upping sticks and moving back to the familiar although that may be an option for you if you can sit down and dispassionately list the pros and cons of going, staying or maybe moving elsewhere. In the end, you have to do what is right for you and look after your own mental health because sure as heck no one else is going to do it for you. If you need family/friends then that is what you need and dont be afraid to ask them for help!

Good luck with whatever it is that you decide you need to do.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 8:28 pm

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Well you got loads of good people on here to yak to. Sorry to hear what's happened.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:48 am
Just Joined

aikijaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Re: Its all gone pear shaped

Originally Posted by as36

Keep your chin up. We all feel like that when things arent going right. It would be all too easy to run back home, but I dont think thats the answer. Having gone back last year, things there arent too rosy, I suppose you have got family there. Why dont you join some clubs, sports, dancing , craft, whatever you're into. We have been here nearly 15 years and have had many times that we could have gone back, sometimes it all seems too hard. But at the end of the day, Australia is a great place, good for kids especially. I dont think theres as many opportuntities in the uk compared to here.
Kind Regards aikijaz
Old Oct 11th 2008, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi & welcome to the forum!
Just on a purely practical level...would you be permitted to leave with your 9yr old?
Lots of luck to you too!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

as36 will become famous soon enoughas36 will become famous soon enough

Thank you all for your replies. I will try and take up some of the suggestions you have given me as I think that they will help. I don't think moving back over to UK is going to be an option, seen as it looks like it going into recession there, so I might be better off sticking it out here in Aussie, make some friends and get on with it the best I can.

For those who inquired, I live in Coominya which is an hour from brissie, on 10 acres have horses & other pets.