Wikiposts

Ireland and the GFC

Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ireland and the GFC

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
...and the Turks in Germany being shown the exit door?
They can't show them the door if they are citizens.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 6:59 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seneca21
They can't show them the door if they are citizens.
In the context of this being a 4th Reich I doubt being a citizen would be an issue to anybody.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

In the context of this being a 4th Reich I doubt being a citizen would be an issue to anybody.
In that context I'm sure you are right. But then in that context a lot of other people would be looking for the exit along with the Turks.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 7:53 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

The difference between the UK and Ireland is that the UK is not in the Euro which means the pound has depreciated giving it competitive advantage. The UK also flogs its bonds denominated in pounds and can pay off its debts by printing money. AAA but comes with a high interest rate. This is why the pound is in the doghouse.

Commonalities include a high debt level.

A big difference is that Ireland sought inwards investment through low corporate taxes. The low rates of the Euro brought a housing boom which boosted tax receipts. This is something the Australian states have in common - a reliance on housing sales to raise tax receipts.

The unknown is whether there is more bad news in the UK banking sector. Ireland's banks were going from bad to worse and were losing deposits again. Markets lost trust in the Irish banking info. It could happen to the UK but the UK has more armoury from not being in the Euro.

I am pro-European but I could see the Euro had inadequate measures for controlling debt.

The biggest commonality the two have is an economic interdependence.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:24 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Which is basically unrepayable, like the US debt. This debt works out to 78k for every man, woman and child in the UK. I read somewhere that even if Britain sold every single one of its houses it could not raise neough to pay off this debt.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/e...8trillion.html
The word is "Inflation".

All debt becomes manageable when inflation takes off: the repayment becomes smaller by the hour.

The losers are those who have saved or otherwise hold the country's paper.

(I've a wheelbarrow going cheap: tyre OK but slight rusting....)
Old Nov 21st 2010, 9:42 pm
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The word is "Inflation".

All debt becomes manageable when inflation takes off: the repayment becomes smaller by the hour.

The losers are those who have saved or otherwise hold the country's paper.

(I've a wheelbarrow going cheap: tyre OK but slight rusting....)
Sadly Irelands boom was over in the earlys 2000's the latter ears was simply us all selling overpriced houses to each other. While we gave in to savage public wage bill expenditure and any other magic beans we could get our hands on.

I really hope one day Ireland rises from this...
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:11 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Anybody really give a shit
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bernie Barfly
Anybody really give a shit
I would guess the people in Ireland might be a little interested in the outcome.
Old Nov 21st 2010, 10:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zambia
I really hope one day Ireland rises from this...
So do I. A small, proud nation is no longer independent and terms will be dictated to it by other, stronger nations.

What a f**king mess.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 12:25 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

What pissed me off was the chap on Sky this morning referring to the Irish bailout and relating it to every other story in the news today. His smug tone of voice and grin made me so angry. Like many other Irish people I'm mortified at the utter **** up of the economy in Ireland but there's no need to be smug about the bailout. Britain had to bail out it's banks and they're still screwing people left, right and centre. Get your own house in order before looking down your nose at others thanks very much.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

wilf70 will become famous soon enoughwilf70 will become famous soon enough
Exclamation Re: Ireland and the GFC

I have read all of these posts with great interest---and I feel deep sadness for the people of Ireland who have been left truly in the mire by politicians and bankers alike.
Aspirilla's openning post and the article from the Irish Times;is however,by far the most incisive---please read it in full.Its great advantage is that it is honest;and written by someone who has consistently been correct in his predictions.
There is one additional point I would like to make--this is with reference to the second part of the article refering to residential mortgages.First delete the words Irish/Ireland and insert Australia/Australian.Australia,in many respects[eg borrowing from foreign banks to finance housing boom]mirrors Ireland.If you google unconventional economist[who writes from Australian perspective]you will see what I mean.You have been warned---the questions are;when will the bubble deflate and will it go off with a bang[eg Ireland]or just gently shrink?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:37 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

I would guess the people in Ireland might be a little interested in the outcome.
They got greedy and up their own arses,bollox to em.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amazulu
So do I. A small, proud nation is no longer independent and terms will be dictated to it by other, stronger nations.

What a f**king mess.
They only got the boom in the first place because of membership of the Euro and EU investment. Rough with smooth, etc.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 7:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedT
What pissed me off was the chap on Sky this morning referring to the Irish bailout and relating it to every other story in the news today. His smug tone of voice and grin made me so angry. Like many other Irish people I'm mortified at the utter **** up of the economy in Ireland but there's no need to be smug about the bailout. Britain had to bail out it's banks and they're still screwing people left, right and centre. Get your own house in order before looking down your nose at others thanks very much.
You are tilting at the wrong windmill here.

Ireland elected to join the Euro and take the good and bad things that it entails. For years Ireland has been the recipient of billions of "aid" from the EUSSR - which includes Britain - and has had a boiling economy on the back of it. Now the party's over.

The UK's problems are because of the banks' profligacy. Ireland's are due to the Euro and its one-size-fits-all paradigm. Just why Britain should "help" escapes me - especially when "help" is applied to a basically broken system.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:06 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wilf70
I have read all of these posts with great interest---and I feel deep sadness for the people of Ireland who have been left truly in the mire by politicians and bankers alike.
Aspirilla's openning post and the article from the Irish Times;is however,by far the most incisive---please read it in full.Its great advantage is that it is honest;and written by someone who has consistently been correct in his predictions.
There is one additional point I would like to make--this is with reference to the second part of the article refering to residential mortgages.First delete the words Irish/Ireland and insert Australia/Australian.Australia,in many respects[eg borrowing from foreign banks to finance housing boom]mirrors Ireland.If you google unconventional economist[who writes from Australian perspective]you will see what I mean.You have been warned---the questions are;when will the bubble deflate and will it go off with a bang[eg Ireland]or just gently shrink?
But the interest rates are completely different. If you want to draw parallels then you should consider the whole picture not just one bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.