Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

iPhone 4S vs Samsung S3 ????

iPhone 4S vs Samsung S3 ????

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 3:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPhone 4S vs Samsung S3 ????

I got the Note also... First Mobile thats tempted me in years. I hate being disturbed by those "Would you get this, and can you pick up this" calls, Owning the Note is worth that... Tis a mini computer really with a fairly decent browsing screen. It was Spotify which was the catylyst for me making the jump as well. Anyone want a redundant very full 160 GB Ipod .

BTW on a Pennytel Sim plan... all you can use in Aus for 35 bucks per month plus 5 gigs of data.

I'm new to GPS systems as well and the Notes got two systems available .... Is it me or is the Google beta version better than Navigons ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jun 22nd 2012 at 3:41 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
In Perth, whenever an Apple product is launched, isheeple queue around the block to buy it from the Apple store (some sleeping on the street overnight), but you can walk into Dick Smith around the corner and buy the same thing with no queuing. Bizarre.

I really do not understand the cult of Apple.
Me too .... it's quite bizarre. Since the death of SJ, Apple have gone very quiet.

Looking at some of the Window's tabs with all the power of a desktop, and all the apps that run on Windows, one has to wonder what Apple are going to do when Window's 8 comes out.

If they had any of the business tab market it's certainly not looking good.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Me too .... it's quite bizarre. Since the death of SJ, Apple have gone very quiet.

Looking at some of the Window's tabs with all the power of a desktop, and all the apps that run on Windows, one has to wonder what Apple are going to do when Window's 8 comes out.

I think they are ahead in the tablet market, and maybe high-end laptops but that's it. Their computers are too expensive and Samsung and HTC are killing them in phones.

Apple treat their customers with contempt - a 'we know what you want, not you' attitude. Therefore you get locked into using itunes, no flash capabilty, no USB port on the ipad etc. But as they are probably the best marketed brand on the planet, they know that the isheeple will always come flocking back for more.

I've just bought a Kindle Fire - $250 delivered, with a leather case. It's a great little device - eReader and tablet, simple and usable. I'm going to hack it to make it more capable. Apple would never release a product like it, and if they did it would be twice the price and less capable.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jun 22nd 2012 at 5:13 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

JoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond reputeJoeBloggs80 has a reputation beyond repute

The clever (some would say sneaky) thing Apple have done is that they now have a lot of people locked into their system. If you already have a mac, iphone, ipad then you can't really go out and buy a new samsung phone as getting everything to sync with it is a ballache, and it all works much better if you just keep everything apple. So the people that are in it, will stay in it.

I think there will be less people joining it in the coming years though, people are wising up a bit.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80
The clever (some would say sneaky) thing Apple have done is that they now have a lot of people locked into their system. If you already have a mac, iphone, ipad then you can't really go out and buy a new samsung phone as getting everything to sync with it is a ballache, and it all works much better if you just keep everything apple. So the people that are in it, will stay in it.

I think there will be less people joining it in the coming years though, people are wising up a bit.
It's not just apple stuff though. If you have invested in some apps from the app store that you need, you'll either lose it or have to re buy it should you move to a different platform. That's the big reason why I'll be sticking with apple. That and it's just a phone. I need it for maps, mail, googling, mobile banking, flick football, tom Tom, currency conversion, iTunes and some other things. Other paid apps that I have are nice to have and I don't fancy buying them a second time.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:37 am
BE Forum Addict

knockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond reputeknockoff nige has a reputation beyond repute

Apple are leading the tablet marke because they offer a tablet that isn't trying to be anything else. There's probably a smaller market for tablets that have a full blown operating system but they will most likely sacrifice a large portion of battery life. The windows one, as much as I like it, might not cut it for many users because the aspect ratio is specifically designed for video playback. Not something that can be used for photo editing or other creative tasks.

Would be nice to have a USB port on the iPad andante that's in the future. But there is no doubt that Apple currently have the best tablet by a long way.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
It's not just apple stuff though. If you have invested in some apps from the app store that you need, you'll either lose it or have to re buy it should you move to a different platform. That's the big reason why I'll be sticking with apple. That and it's just a phone. I need it for maps, mail, googling, mobile banking, flick football, tom Tom, currency conversion, iTunes and some other things. Other paid apps that I have are nice to have and I don't fancy buying them a second time.
Well, what you save in apps you won't in accessories

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...rom=public_rss
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

As I was saying earlier about their contempt for their customers.........
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

As I was saying earlier about their contempt for their customers.........
I don't think any other company has kept their charging/dock connector the same as long as apple has. They are changing it now to allow more space for more features in their devices. No pleasing some people.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 9:56 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Post 11
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:30 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

You have to be cleverer still.

I use gmail and set it up as though it was exchange rather than the gmail option. That way tasks, calendar and mail sync up whichever I use. I also have my own domain so moving email provider is not too difficult.

The main lock in is the apps.

Android has an increasing market share.

The downside for Android is that the manufacturers and telcos seem reluctant to provide OS updates. Techie types will root, mod and upgrade. Devs hate that.

I just like gadgets and my job is to fit the gadget to the user and design the management for thousands.

Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't that the missing point though...if you just want a phone you compare phone specs. If you want a tablet, a home computer, a phone, music streaming all talking to each-other using the best overall set of devices etc you look at the various platforms. Totally different decisions and one where apple comes out far ahead in my opinion - those obsessed with getting the biggest phone display may disagree.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they are ahead in the tablet market, and maybe high-end laptops but that's it. Their computers are too expensive and Samsung and HTC are killing them in phones.
As a windows software developer I have decades of exclusive windows pc use at work and home and imo apple imac's combined with the software, services and interconnected devices are far better home computers.

Apple treat their customers with contempt - a 'we know what you want, not you' attitude. Therefore you get locked into using itunes, no flash capabilty, no USB port on the ipad etc. But as they are probably the best marketed brand on the planet, they know that the isheeple will always come flocking back for more.
That because they do ...flash on a mobile device is a pita and should be killed. Not once have I wanted a USB port...it is old fashioned and happy to see it replaced with cloud delivery. Apple have a history of pushing the industry along looking to where things will be, not where they are. As a software developer I love the constant cutting edge ideas they have (see new retina macbook) and many other companies are just cut and paste factories in comparison.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:23 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
No pleasing some people.
Someone who has just splashed out on a $800 dock will be happy to know this.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:24 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by fish.01
That because they do ...flash on a mobile device is a pita and should be killed. Not once have I wanted a USB port...it is old fashioned and happy to see it replaced with cloud delivery. Apple have a history of pushing the industry along looking to where things will be, not where they are. As a software developer I love the constant cutting edge ideas they have (see new retina macbook) and many other companies are just cut and paste factories in comparison.
Sorry, but I don't get the cult of Apple. Never have, never will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.