British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   iPhone 4S vs Samsung S3 ???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/iphone-4s-vs-samsung-s3-762187/)

muditha Jun 19th 2012 10:41 am

iPhone 4S vs Samsung S3 ????

Hi,

I'm coming to end of my contract and thinking of buying either iphone 4s or samsung s3. What is the best phone ?

I'm a normal phone user. I use the phone for calling, checking emails, getting pictures(camera) and web browsing.

asprilla Jun 19th 2012 11:14 am

Re: iPhone 4S vs Samsung S3 ????

Originally Posted by muditha (Post 10127057)
Hi,

I'm coming to end of my contract and thinking of buying either iphone 4s or samsung s3. What is the best phone ?

I'm a normal phone user. I use the phone for calling, checking emails, getting pictures(camera) and web browsing.

The S3 is undoubtedly a better phone. To be fair, the iphone4S is only marginally better than the original samsung galaxy s, which was released over 2 years ago.. Apple have really dropped the ball in recent times.

GarryP Jun 19th 2012 11:43 am

New iphone can't be too far away, they are getting left in the dust and need to dramatically upgrade. I'd get the S3 personally.

furbacchione Jun 20th 2012 2:20 pm

If you like simplicity and a clearly defined and controlled environment the iphone is best. If you're a bit more tech savy and like the "freedom" of being able to tweak your gadgets then get an android based phone - i.e. the SIII. I've had both and wouldn't go back to an iphone after I got the galaxy note. YMMV

TiddlyPom Jun 20th 2012 11:46 pm

SIII. If only for the camera. :D

Hello Muditha. How are you all doing?

renth Jun 21st 2012 12:08 am

Out of the 2, the S3.

I recently bought Samsung Galaxy Nexus for about $400 from Kogan, I love it. It also shits all over iPhone 4s It's almost as good as the S3 but half the price.

BadgeIsBack Jun 21st 2012 11:16 am

I had both.

I found the S3 hard to get used to, the first few days - but then I had the easy-peasy IPhone.

I had an issue with the sensitivity of the keypad which no amount of configuration seemed to fix and there seemed a few glitches now and then.
I solved this by using swype which allows you to run your finger across the keys you want to form the word and it either guesses the word or you press auto-complete....great.

Once I got used to it - I much prefer it. There are lots of ways of doing the same thing. Gps turn by turn - although I find the GPS a bit dodgy occasionally.

You go back to an IPhone and it's like a Fisher Price toy by comparison.

Swerv-o Jun 21st 2012 11:24 pm

I would opt for the S3 - its a spectacular phone and for me a large screen makes the phone much more usable. I'm going to grab a Galaxy note myself, but in terms of the choices you have I would definitely choose the S3...

S

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o (Post 10132025)
I would opt for the S3 - its a spectacular phone and for me a large screen makes the phone much more usable. I'm going to grab a Galaxy note myself, but in terms of the choices you have I would definitely choose the S3...

S

I've had my Note for a few months now and think it's a great phone. Definitely glad I got it.

renth Jun 22nd 2012 12:14 am

The next iPhone 5 is going to have to be well speccy to top the latest Android phones.

moneypenny20 Jun 22nd 2012 12:33 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10132101)
The next iPhone 5 is going to have to be well speccy to top the latest Android phones.

Rumour is they're changing all the connections so everyone will have to buy new accessories. (until someone comes out with an adaptor of course). I really like a keyboard but hate the blackberry types, my Nokia is dying and it pisses me off that if you want Android you near as dammit have to have touch only.

JoeBloggs80 Jun 22nd 2012 2:17 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10132101)

Not really. All it will need is a few poncey ads, a couple of features that have been around for years but they can claim 'changes everything', and some news footage of the appleshop mongs cheering the stupid plebs who have queued for a week to buy it. It will continue to sell by the bucket load

renth Jun 22nd 2012 2:49 am

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 10132231)
Not really. All it will need is a few poncey ads, a couple of features that have been around for years but they can claim 'changes everything', and some news footage of the appleshop mongs cheering the stupid plebs who have queued for a week to buy it. It will continue to sell by the bucket load

So true. When I first saw my wife's iPhone 4s I was so impressed with it but now I've got my Galaxy Nexus, which is my first smartphone I can't believe how lame the iPhone is.

Also I'm a huge iTunes hater, now I have Spotify on 3 devices I can't see why anyone would use iTunes anymore.

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 3:23 am

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 10132231)

In Perth, whenever an Apple product is launched, isheeple queue around the block to buy it from the Apple store (some sleeping on the street overnight), but you can walk into Dick Smith around the corner and buy the same thing with no queuing. Bizarre.

I really do not understand the cult of Apple.

Amazulu Jun 22nd 2012 3:25 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10132257)
So true. When I first saw my wife's iPhone 4s I was so impressed with it but now I've got my Galaxy Nexus, which is my first smartphone I can't believe how lame the iPhone is.

Also I'm a huge iTunes hater, now I have Spotify on 3 devices I can't see why anyone would use iTunes anymore.

The iphone is a fashion accessory.

Spotify is awesome. My phone is now loaded with downloaded Spotify playlists.