Which iPad?

Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:25 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Which iPad?

Wifey wants an iPad for xmas....

...and since we're going to the UK for xmas I can claim GST back and probably claim the rest as a tax deductable business expense in next years tax return anyway - so my 'out of pocket' cost is going to be < $450 eventually regardless of which 'type' I get.

So the big question is of course 3G or not to 3G? I'm pretty sure that 99% of the time it'll be used in the house anyway so not need it - and even when we're out and about we could wifi tether off our phones with a plain wifi iPad - but really who needs the hassle?... and wouldnt it be nice not to worry about where you are and have that flexibility to take it when out and about?

...and then how big does the thing have to be? JB Hifi at the moment have their 64GB iPads cheaper than the 32GB ones which is clearly daft - so I'm wondering if theres any reason not to just by the 'top of the line' model?

Must be plenty of iPad users out there - so anyone suffer from buyers remorse and wish they had a different model? Do you use the 3G capability at all? Have you filled your 16GB iPad and crave more space?

Any 'must have' accessories? I'm thinking:

- Camera connection dongle (http://store.apple.com/au/product/MC531ZM/A)
- External battery charger (recharge when away from power i.e. on flights) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5000mAh-E...item43aa326789
- ..and some kind of leathery folder/case thingo.....
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which iPad?

My OH bought me the first version last year.

We love it. The newer version has the camera option which for us, as Skype users, is a wishlist item but that's about it.

We toggle ours to our phones when internet is needed away from home.

We have a plug in keyboard which I don't use as much as probably would use if there had been the bluetooth wireless option available which there is now. (I have to take the case off to be able to slip the connector into the keypad - that's a phaff!)

We don't worry about any extra battery charging options other than the standard usb/plug - most airports and planes allow usb charging now anyway. (And cars for that matter too).

I have the smaller size and still only 20% full. But then I'm more likely to have more music on iPhone than iPad and we don't use it currently to watch movies etc But probably has 2000 odd photos on.

All in all, it's an excellent product for the whole family. Just found an excellent free App to help my youngest son improve his spellings - suddenly I'm not having to nag so much anymore!
Old Nov 10th 2011, 11:46 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain

...and since we're going to the UK for xmas I can claim GST back and probably claim the rest as a tax deductable business expense in next years tax return anyway - so my 'out of pocket' cost is going to be < $450 eventually regardless of which 'type' I get.

So the big question is of course 3G or not to 3G? I'm pretty sure that 99% of the time it'll be used in the house anyway so not need it - and even when we're out and about we could wifi tether off our phones with a plain wifi iPad - but really who needs the hassle?... and wouldnt it be nice not to worry about where you are and have that flexibility to take it when out and about?

...and then how big does the thing have to be? JB Hifi at the moment have their 64GB iPads cheaper than the 32GB ones which is clearly daft - so I'm wondering if theres any reason not to just by the 'top of the line' model?

Must be plenty of iPad users out there - so anyone suffer from buyers remorse and wish they had a different model? Do you use the 3G capability at all? Have you filled your 16GB iPad and crave more space?

- External battery charger (recharge when away from power i.e. on flights) http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5000mAh-E...item43aa326789
I bought a 16Gb Wifi iPad yesterday actually. I didn't feel the need for 3G as I don't plan on taking it on the road much.

I think the capacity will be fine as I don't plan on filling it with movies/music and it will be more of an app runner (musical stuff, mainly) ... I use Splashtop to remote into my home PC so I can use that for media playback with no conversions necessary.

I've just ordered a camera connection kit and other bits and peices from eBay, much cheaper than the offical stuff and just as good in my experience of iPod Touch accessories.

I was going to hold out for the iPad 3 launch but couldn't help myself, it's ace.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:04 am

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jothefw
...most airports and planes allow usb charging now anyway.
Never seen a USB port in any airplane seat I've sat in. (Although the 1 time I sat in business class I did have power).

I'm pretty sure Qantas planes dont have powered seats in "F^ck you - get to the back of the plane and stay there until we say so" class.

(ETA: Just checked and it seems Qantas A380 economy seats do indeed have a USB socket in them now.... who'd have thunk it?)

Last edited by DadAgain; Nov 11th 2011 at 12:11 am.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:13 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Try this one...

Old Nov 11th 2011, 12:16 am

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Try this one...
Awesome - that'll save me a few $$$$s!!!
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

JB Hifi at the moment have their 64GB iPads cheaper than the 32GB ones which is clearly daft - so I'm wondering if theres any reason not to just by the 'top of the line' model?
Also have a look at online stores like Kogan for ipads, could be cheaper.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:42 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Most Apple fans are one-eyed, it has to be said
Old Nov 11th 2011, 2:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Watch out - I think you may have infringed one of Apple's patents there...

S
Old Nov 11th 2011, 3:43 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Never seen a USB port in any airplane seat I've sat in.
Singapore have them on their economy seats
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:00 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that fill sup the ipads we've got in the household are the movies. The apps tehmselves use very little space.

My 32gig is full of about 50 hours of movies/TV shows because I fly long haul and use it intensively to watch TV etc. There is approximately 50 1hr TV Episodes on there and I watch them using CinexPlayer (about 9$ app- worth its weight in gold)

as for 3g vs wifi - I have had both , the 3g is handy but really if you've got a samrtphone the tims when you'd want to browse on the ipad (getting it out the bag, etc) I cannot really see a scenario where that would happen - Iphone is as good for general stuff out + about.

I currently use the 32g 3g one but honestly I rarely use the 3g

You wont need a spare charger - the battery is 10hrs of real use watching movies in my experience. Do get a cover - ifonly for peace of mind - they have gorilla glass so they dont scratch - but you will be happier taking it out + about if its got a cover on it. I have the apple smart cover which is fine.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:31 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by spalen
The only thing that fill sup the ipads we've got in the household are the movies. The apps tehmselves use very little space.

My 32gig is full of about 50 hours of movies/TV shows because I fly long haul and use it intensively to watch TV etc. There is approximately 50 1hr TV Episodes on there and I watch them using CinexPlayer (about 9$ app- worth its weight in gold)

as for 3g vs wifi - I have had both , the 3g is handy but really if you've got a samrtphone the tims when you'd want to browse on the ipad (getting it out the bag, etc) I cannot really see a scenario where that would happen - Iphone is as good for general stuff out + about.

I currently use the 32g 3g one but honestly I rarely use the 3g

You wont need a spare charger - the battery is 10hrs of real use watching movies in my experience. Do get a cover - ifonly for peace of mind - they have gorilla glass so they dont scratch - but you will be happier taking it out + about if its got a cover on it. I have the apple smart cover which is fine.
Regarding space for apps, it depends, I'm a bit of an app junkie and most of my 32Gb iPod Touch is taken up with them.

NOVA 2 takes over a Gig, Asphalt 4 is nearly a Gig, Garage Band is half a Gig ... A quick look in iTunes reveals 265 apps, 49 of which are over 100Mb.

Of course, I am a sad case and am pruning them back gradually

Loving the iPad so far, so snappy, so ... right.

So not the webOS side of my $150 firesale HP Touchpad (which is dual-booting Android quite nicely ...).
Old Nov 11th 2011, 6:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

We bought the top of the wozza one with 3G and wifi. We have used ours quite a bit on the road but that is only something you can know about your own circumstances.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:04 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I need something to make sure I am clean at night and free to roller skate in the day whilst wearing white.
Old Nov 11th 2011, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
I bought a 16Gb Wifi iPad yesterday actually. I didn't feel the need for 3G as I don't plan on taking it on the road much.

I think the capacity will be fine as I don't plan on filling it with movies/music and it will be more of an app runner (musical stuff, mainly) ... I use Splashtop to remote into my home PC so I can use that for media playback with no conversions necessary.

I've just ordered a camera connection kit and other bits and peices from eBay, much cheaper than the offical stuff and just as good in my experience of iPod Touch accessories.

I was going to hold out for the iPad 3 launch but couldn't help myself, it's ace.
You won the lotto ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.