iPad

Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: iPad

I really can't think of a use for it. I mean it looks cool as anything, but..

If I want to read a newspaper, I buy a newspaper, same goes for books. They don't die if you drop them reading them in the bath.

If I want to listen to music I have multiple choices already. Phone, PC, Stereo, TV, DVD player.

If I want to browse the web I've got a laptop, netbook desktop.

If I want to make a phone call, I've got a skype phone, an ordinary landline and a mobile.

So which particular gap do they think they are filling?

Apart from the apple geek ' I've got to have it' gap?

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jan 28th 2010 at 12:28 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 12:31 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I really can't think of a use for it. I mean it looks cool as anything, but..

If I want to read a newspaper, I buy a newspaper, same goes for books. The don't die if you drop them in the bath.

If I want to listen to music I have multiple choices already. Phone, PC, Stereo, TV, DVD player.

If I want to browse the web I've got a laptop, netbook desktop.

If I want to make a phone call, I've got a skype phone, an ordinary landline and a mobile.

So which particular gap do they think they are filling?

Apart from the apple geek ' I've got to have it' gap?

JTL
I feel the same about buying it. I like my nokia phone as it lasts for ages without a recharge, I like my iPod seperate.

You cant beat the pleasure of reading a book - a proper book with curled up edges that has become tatty with so much reading as you have read it more than once over the years - the smells that old books get. Nor can you beat looking at your bookcase with books you have collected over the years and you can take a trip down memory lane to read them and relive it all.

I love the feeling of the keypad on my fingers as I type, that clicking noise as I type fast while I watch the TV at the same time.

I love the fact my laptop which fair enough is shite, but tough enough to withstand what I do to it. I feel the iPad wont be nearly as tough.

I guess as a toy its OK, but if I had the money I would just get a better computer and some decent software for what I want it for.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 11:41 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I still don't know where these hardcore complaints are coming from, but I suspect it's because a lot of people were under the seriously mislead belief that this would be some sort of MacPad Pro running Snow Leopard. It was never going to be this. Leaks from Apple over the past 4-9 months have always very strongly pointed at an iPhone OS based device. I don't think anyone who has been following this seriously has ever thought it would be OSX based. This is a front room consumer device with an idiot proof UI tied down to the Nth degree (because that's the way Apple does things - sucks but not unknown) to Apples existing, proven, matured (and expensive) content pipeline.

3rd Party multitasking is coming to both iPhone and iPad in June with iPhone OS 4.0

Some interesting hands on test reports coming out today are already showing that the iPad OS certainly thinks it has a Camera (Contacts > Add Photo > Take New Photo | Choose Existing Photo). Assumption is that next years iPad v2.0 will almost certainly have them front and rear. Keep in mind that this is also common Apple practice to keep tech out of a product line merely to announce an "incredible advance" in the next model a year later.

Flash support in the Browser? Never would happen under an iPhone OS device like this. Flash and Silverlight are just too powerful at creating amazing RIA (Rich Internet Application) products. Apps which could realistically compete with ones in the App Store. Apple don't want to stop you viewing some Flash animated banner/menu at the top of a website or a whole website for some web design company who can only code in Flash (a lot out there), they are trying to protect their App pipeline in the App Store. That said Adobe have recently confirm earlier reports that CS5 will include tools to convert and package existing stand alone Flash Applications as iPhone Apps for publishing on the App Store. So Flash will be coming to the iPad/iPhone, just not how you would imagine it too.

As it's not a full blown computer then why would it need USB, does the iPhone need USB ? No.

Now, I'm not saying it's perfect. I think the lack of basic GPS in the base WiFi model is a very poor choice, but as for the vast majority of complaints I think it's people over-inflating their opinion of the product and what it will be a launch.

I will reserve judgement until I have one in my hands and I can play with it.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:08 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Admission is the first step to getting help, weldone!
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:12 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigAPE
I still don't know where these hardcore complaints are coming from, but I suspect it's because a lot of people were under the seriously mislead belief that this would be some sort of MacPad Pro running Snow Leopard. It was never going to be this. Leaks from Apple over the past 4-9 months have always very strongly pointed at an iPhone OS based device. I don't think anyone who has been following this seriously has ever thought it would be OSX based. This is a front room consumer device with an idiot proof UI tied down to the Nth degree (because that's the way Apple does things - sucks but not unknown) to Apples existing, proven, matured (and expensive) content pipeline.

3rd Party multitasking is coming to both iPhone and iPad in June with iPhone OS 4.0

Some interesting hands on test reports coming out today are already showing that the iPad OS certainly thinks it has a Camera (Contacts > Add Photo > Take New Photo | Choose Existing Photo). Assumption is that next years iPad v2.0 will almost certainly have them front and rear. Keep in mind that this is also common Apple practice to keep tech out of a product line merely to announce an "incredible advance" in the next model a year later.

Flash support in the Browser? Never would happen under an iPhone OS device like this. Flash and Silverlight are just too powerful at creating amazing RIA (Rich Internet Application) products. Apps which could realistically compete with ones in the App Store. Apple don't want to stop you viewing some Flash animated banner/menu at the top of a website or a whole website for some web design company who can only code in Flash (a lot out there), they are trying to protect their App pipeline in the App Store. That said Adobe have recently confirm earlier reports that CS5 will include tools to convert and package existing stand alone Flash Applications as iPhone Apps for publishing on the App Store. So Flash will be coming to the iPad/iPhone, just not how you would imagine it too.

As it's not a full blown computer then why would it need USB, does the iPhone need USB ? No.

Now, I'm not saying it's perfect. I think the lack of basic GPS in the base WiFi model is a very poor choice, but as for the vast majority of complaints I think it's people over-inflating their opinion of the product and what it will be a launch.

I will reserve judgement until I have one in my hands and I can play with it.
So are you saying that an oversized iTouch will have a mass appeal and take the world by storm as have the iPhone and all other Apple products (with the exception of the Apple TV) of the last 10 years?

I think people's gripes are that Apple has just come out with a major announcement about something that is just bigger than its predecessor. Even Jobs himslef you could tell was struggling to come up with selling points, which is amazing for Apple considering they are the modern pioneers of marketing
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:20 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

So are you saying that an oversized iTouch will have a mass appeal and take the world by storm as have the iPhone and all other Apple products (with the exception of the Apple TV) of the last 10 years?

I think people's gripes are that Apple has just come out with a major announcement about something that is just bigger than its predecessor. Even Jobs himslef you could tell was struggling to come up with selling points, which is amazing for Apple considering they are the modern pioneers of marketing
No mate, your misinterpreting me as an Apple Fanboy. FAR from it. If anything I hate Apple with a passion. I'm sure Fraser will confirm this if he's ever bored enough to read this thread.

What I am saying is that I think the iPod Touch was a poor excuse for a device and if it was never released then this would have been a very different product launch for the iPad. I also think that a lot of people have been wound up by this launch and were expecting too much from Apple. You can wash the spots off a Leopard but it's still a Leopard. Apple will always be out to look trendy and cool while screwing you from behind with their content delivery network and after the success of the iPod and iPhone with the iTunes Store do you honestly see them giving that up and saying "OK, download what you want from wherever you want". You're dreaming.

This is not the end of the iPad, I can guarantee you that. Perhaps not in it's current form and perhaps not in your front room, but it will be sold by Apple and it will make them money.

Last edited by bigAPE; Jan 29th 2010 at 12:27 am.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:34 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

You can wash the spots off a Leopard but it's still a Leopard.
You'd have to shave it really - no mean feat.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:48 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
You'd have to shave it really - no mean feat.
then use some peroxide too
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:49 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

I hope it means the iPod Touch 32Gb will drop in price because I'm getting me one of them soon.

Going to use it for controlling my musical gadgetry (via TouchOSC and similar apps) as well as all the other fun stuff. The RjDj app looks like a laugh.

And then there is the upcoming (expensive) iPod controlled helicopter thing, that looks groooovy.

But, as someone said, the iPod is just a rip-off of the Walkman

No Apple fanboy here either but I think my interest has reached critical mass.

iPad? Nah, I like spoof Apple Ads on YouTube though.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:55 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help thinking that this all smacks of being a little hasty in its announcement. Jobs looked awkward, and as you say, was struggling to come up with genuine selling points.

I am wondering if Apple have seen some of the other upcoming tablet devices shown off at CES (here) and are attempting to stake their claim on some of the territory by mobilising the Apple fanboys into some kind of anticipatory mode.

Personally, it doesn't really fit into my digital agenda at all, so I dare say that I won't be buying one. I would rather have a tablet that ran a proper OS that I could actually do useful things on. This iTab thing seems strangely targetted - almost like they made it, but didn't really know where to aim it.

S
Old Jan 29th 2010, 4:57 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Jobs looked awkward
He look like he is dying - which would kind of make anyone glum.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:53 am
No Clean Feed

Originally Posted by Amazulu
He look like he is dying - which would kind of make anyone glum.
Agreed. I would suggest that he is a very sick man and what you're seeing is the face of Apple putting on a very brave face for the cameras.

I don't personally like his approach to business or the way that he has driven Apple into the most paranoid, venomous, tech company around, but I can't help feel sorry for him.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 6:58 am
No Clean Feed

BTW, for those that want a 1GHZ Slate device that runs open software, with a camera, Bluetooth, WiFi & 3G, etc then take a look at the Dell Mini 5

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/28...ms-us-arrival/

Oh, down side it's only 5" and it's US$1,000!! iPad not looking so bad now is it... but hey, it's got everything you all seem to want.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:12 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Oh, down side it's only 5" and it's US$1,000!! iPad not looking so bad now is it... but hey, it's got everything you all seem to want.
other downside is it's a Dell
Old Jan 29th 2010, 8:25 am
No Clean Feed

other downside is it's a Dell
Never had a problem with Dell personally. Bought about 15,000 machines from them in the past 15 years and only had about 50 with issues. Most were corporate buys obviously, but it's a pretty impressive stat all told.

All of my home machines are also Dell, apart from the Mac's obviously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.