Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:08 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath
nonsense, the act of looking in your bag helps keep the costs down since stores dont have to use over the top security devices which drive costs up.

There will never be enough resentment of the practise to make any shop change it's policy.
Nail hit firmly on the head.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:11 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by rayclare
The only way to get through to them is dont go in shops that invade your privacy, send them an email to let them know, if the shops loose custom they will soon change.
But those shops are NOT invading your privacy. When you enter the store, you have agreed to their conditions.

The LAW states that a shop can display a sign prominently at the front of the store informing customers that they may be asked to display the contents of their bags before leaving and that this is a condition of entry.

This allows the shop to ask you to do exactly that, and you understood that when entering the shop.

If you don't like the terms, then shop somewhere else. It is that simple.

If you approach the shop first and say you do not agree to their entry terms, the shop has the LEGAL right to refuse you entry.

If you then enter the premises, prepared to break the legal conditions of entry, you are effectively trespassing. That is the Law.

For what it is worth, I have only had a bag search done once, but I always offer any bags I am carrying to be looked at, as I leave.

Even going through the checkouts, after buying things, sometimes people do still have bags checked.
It isn't only when you exit without buying anything.

The majority of people accept it for what it is; a way to try to keep shoplifting costs down, and therefore keep prices down.

A quote from a Federal Government website:
The most important tool in reducing shoplifting is vigilance by staff. Display a sign in a prominent location stating that bag checks may be conducted. Remember that bag checks must be voluntary and that staff must not ever touch the customer or their possessions.

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:11 pm
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

In a previous life I worked in shops. I personally think bag checks are dangerous for the people doing them. In my experience some shop lifters wouldn't think twice about assaulting someone. Plus, bag checks don't work! Do they really think that shop lifters are going to be so obvious?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

I used to stack shelves in Safeways as a teenager. We were always told never to ask to check bags unless we had actually seen somebody steal something. The store saw it as they didn't want to annoy people who hadn't done anything and make them go elsewhere.

There was the issue of the alcohol aisle - but the store had a few people to work on it - it was hard keeping the shelves stocked with all the alchies - so I suppose they also acted as a visual deterrent
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

i often do my weekly COles shop then take the trolley into K Mart for a wander round. ABout 1/3 of the time they ask to look in my trolley laden with Coles green bags. i tend to make sure they can see the things i COULD have stolen from Kmart.

once they asked to see my COLES receipt for a block of chocolate. I didnt have it. they said i could have stolen it from k mart. i agreed and challenged them to prove it. they couldnt (be bothered).
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

That is just plain rude!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Lived in France for three and a half years and do not recall ever being searched in that time.
As someone else mentioned,find it a little difficult to believe that French would accept this.
I can believe it - I've seen it. The French have a strange relationship with authority and rules. Sometimes they flout it with abandon at other times I can't believe how much they kowtow to it.

When we were in France, the locals couldn't believe the Brits were reluctant to have ID cards.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 23rd 2009 at 11:23 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem having my bags checked.I have nothing to hide.In fact I normally offer up my bag so they can look.I did ask the girl in Big w once that while she was looking could she see if she could find my hair clip that I had been looking for ,for days.The only time I got annoyed was when this,"Im more special than you girl" in Bunnings asked to look in my teeny bag I had on me at the time.Did she somehow think that I managed to hide a wheel barrow in there.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:53 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=MartinLuther;7312667

If you get searched a lot then why not put a huge dildo in your bag. [/QUOTE]

I don't think Gordon Brown would fit
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

suziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nicesuziegaz is just really nice

oh dear lets let the shop keppers have al augh, not there yet, but cant wait to flash my wares..... or my old bag..... runs quick before suzie see this post .........
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
I don't think Gordon Brown would fit
A long time ago a friend of mine had not long been going out with his new girl friend when she asked him where he got something.
"I got that off my Aunty Dildo", says he, jokingly.
"That's a funny name", she says genuinely.
At that moment her mum came into the room and his girlfriend says "Mum, Eddie's Aunty has got an unusual name. She's called Aunty Dildo".
"Oh, no", he thought. Face struck with terror.
"That's a very unusual name", says the mum.

Now the mum might have been very diplomatic but he thinks she didn't know what one was. Anyways, all's well that ends well, as he is now married to the girl.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:15 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't see the problem. If you don't like the practice don't go into the store...................simple. It's your choice you are not being forced to have your bag looked into............go somewhere where they don't ask to look in your bag.

If you have no choice but to shop there suck it up ..................you are living in Australia now not the UK. Again you had the choice to live here but you don't have the right to choose which rules and regs you want to follow or ignore.

My philosophy is I have chosen to live here so I will live by the Australian laws etc etc. The same way when I lived in the UK I expected people who moved there to follow the UK laws etc.

Am I the only person who feels like this? I don't expect people to change their rules and practices just because I've moved here and may be a little uncomfortable with them because I have never been used to them.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:19 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loz
Am I the only person who feels like this? I don't expect people to change their rules and practices just because I've moved here and may be a little uncomfortable with them because I have never been used to them.
Nope. I fully agree with you...
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
The only store which regularly checks me is Kmart - when I'm walking out without buying anything.

What I don't understand is that surely the best way to shoplift is to nick something of high value then Q up at the checkout to buy something cheap - then you won't get checked?
You're making the assumption that the shop lifters a) have their brains in gear and b) have any money on them at all.
Old Feb 24th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Daydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really niceDaydreamer123 is just really nice

Its never really bothered me before, but I got asked on the weekend, and felt a bit put out by it. Probably a long day of shopping! I did wonder if I was allowed to say no.

Do you think on the whole women feel more upset by this as it happens more often, as we are always carrying a handbag? For men, its less frequent, and the request is normally to look into a shopping bag, not a handbag full of personal items? Also, my OH refuses to go into Kmart, Target type shops, he can't stand the aimless lost looking people wandering around, and so he very rarely gets checked.

Growing up in South Africa, it happened in every shop, and shopping bags were always sealed before you could enter. I remember they always wore white gloves and had a little white stick to poke around inside your handbag. Everyone used to just put up with it, but I dont know if they would anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.