Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:48 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

The second reason that I won't allow the bag inspection is that when I buy things I usually don't want the wrapping and I just pop it in my handbag. I always do keep the receipt however I can just image opening my bag and all these unwrapped goods rattling about in my bag.

It's actually quite a scarey thought that if you did have something that could have been pinched from the shop that you might have to try and prove that it wasn't. Again...guilty until proven innocent.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:49 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
So it's guilty until proven innocent in Australia is it ?!
No. The law works on the basis of presumed innocence until proven guilty. It's something they inherited from English law.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:49 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Had a house in France for a long time and I was never asked.
I had a house in France for a long time and I was asked on occasion.

There was one supermarket in Vallauris where the shoppers used to have their handbags open when they got to the till. I generally didn't have a bag but when I did I got asked.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Feb 23rd 2009 at 10:52 am.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:50 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's one of Australias little quirks, that is very annoying. I personally hate it as well.

I dont mind CCTV but for some reason, looking into someones bag seems like overkill.

As for the rules that ABCD quoted anyone can call the police over anything, but can they restrain you ?

I doubt it. Surely that would be false imprisoment.
I guess it depends on how convinced they are that you're trying to steal something.

Off topic slightly, is it legal here for joe public to be able to make a citizens arrest and hold someone until police arrive if they've seen them carry out a crime?

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I has a house in France for a long time and I was asked on occasion.
You must look suspicious
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

- WRONG!

Happens often!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:51 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
No. The law works on the basis of presumed innocence until proven guilty. It's something they inherited from English law.

NO IT DOESN'T OR THEY WOULDN'T ASK TO LOOK IN YOUR BAG!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

The second reason that I won't allow the bag inspection is that when I buy things I usually don't want the wrapping and I just pop it in my handbag. I always do keep the receipt however I can just image opening my bag and all these unwrapped goods rattling about in my bag.

It's actually quite a scarey thought that if you did have something that could have been pinched from the shop that you might have to try and prove that it wasn't. Again...guilty until proven innocent.

So what dont you want them to see??? If you have the receipts and have nothing stolen in the tardis ( as is mine!) why not let the poor employee do his or her job?? Is it really such a biggie...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:54 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
Got to say it doesnt bother me.. But then neither do CCTV cameras...

Got much more important and serious things to annoy me than some poor person just following the rules of the store employing them... In fact the customer who behaves like the OP would annoy me more in actual fact!! Bloody Pommies!!
Ahh but I'm Australian............ thats the thing about Australia - made up of many migrants. And I bloody hate them in my bag.

At the moment I have little really to annoy me - I am not annoyed with the individuals, I just am annoyed with the principle. And I hate it when my kids are sleeping and they go under the pram although most dont some do.

I usually just let them do it with a huff but have said no once or twice but I think they saw the manic look on my face and didnt push it. on those occasions it has been when one of the kdis has been playing up and they bend down ready for a good rummage.

CCTV cameras dont bother me unless they were in a toilet (or in my bag)

For me the issue isnt about country. Its like I dont like pet shop selling live dogs/cats regardless of country or not having free speech or any issue really

Viviennne
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:55 am
ABCDiamond

You are not breaking the law just the shops condition of entry where one of three things can happen. To call the Police they would have to have good reason to believe that you had stolen something.
Technically you have entered their premises on false pretences.

You entered the shop on the understanding that they could look in your bag, and you accepted that.
But in reality you never had any intention of doing so.

Personally if I don't like a rule that a shop has, I go somewhere else.
I think it would be wrong to 'pretend' to accept their rules.

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:55 am
Account Closed

You must look suspicious
Must be why I've been asked all of 4 times in Aus

How often does it happen to you
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:57 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
It's common practice, and most shops have signs up stating they will do this.

Australia's not the only country where they do it either. Happens in France also, where in some shops you have to hand your bag in when entering a shop.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Namibia was the same, except they would tape the handles of your bag together, if it was a carrier bag then they would be twisted and taped so you couldnt get into it without ripping it.

I do laugh at them checking my bag, they dont have a clue what is in it half the time anyway.

It doesnt bother me though.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:59 am
Account Closed

NO IT DOESN'T OR THEY WOULDN'T ASK TO LOOK IN YOUR BAG!!!
So when you get your bag checked in the UK at say a sporting event or entering some buildings does this mean that the UK presumes you're guilty until proven innocent?
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by viviennef
Ahh but I'm Australian............ thats the thing about Australia - made up of many migrants. And I bloody hate them in my bag.

At the moment I have little really to annoy me - I am not annoyed with the individuals, I just am annoyed with the principle. And I hate it when my kids are sleeping and they go under the pram although most dont some do.

I usually just let them do it with a huff but have said no once or twice but I think they saw the manic look on my face and didnt push it. on those occasions it has been when one of the kdis has been playing up and they bend down ready for a good rummage.

CCTV cameras dont bother me unless they were in a toilet (or in my bag)

For me the issue isnt about country. Its like I dont like pet shop selling live dogs/cats regardless of country or not having free speech or any issue really

Viviennne

Now if I had a pram it WOULD piss me off!! Didnt someone say earlier the shop staff werent allowed to 'touch'your stuff?? How come they can rummage under your pram then...

I hate the pet shop thing too... I wuld like to buy a puppy but where from.. ( oops.. That should be another thread!!)
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:00 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I have found that a pre-emptive glare in their direction stops them asking to search my bags.....that and a blank refusal

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.