Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:42 am

viviennef is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I never did get the Tiffany ring.
You never know what the future brings though.....
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 8:47 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by viviennef
You never know what the future brings though.....
No, I got a lovely ring for my 40th in the Bahamas. I designed it and the jeweler made it for me. I bought myself a Tiffany bracelet from the Tiffany store when I was in New York a few years ago and a Tuffany necklace from a little Asian woman on Canal Street on the same trip. My sister bought herself a Gaucci bag at the same shop.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 9:00 am
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

How about putting a nappy spread with crunchy peanut butter at the top - I was going to add another option, but far too revolting for a family forum I fear...
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Most Australians put up with it because it is the law, and because most people are happy to prove they have done nothing wrong. It takes but a few seconds.

Completely false. It is not the law. It is not legal. It is simply a request (which I always will refuse)

To the person who said the same happens in France; I don't believe that is the case - the French wouldn't stand for it! I used to live in France and there is sometimes an option to leave your bags when you go in to shops that that is simply for your own benefit.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:30 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Completely false. It is not the law. It is not legal. It is simply a request (which I always will refuse)
Advise to Business Owners from the Government:

Display a sign prominently at the front of your store informing your customers that they may be asked to display the contents of their bags before leaving and that this is a condition of entry.

While you are within your rights to ask permission to conduct bag searches, your customers are also within their rights to refuse your request.

If they are asked to do so and they refuse, you may:
  • ask them to leave
  • refuse to sell them any goods
  • call the police if you believe they have shoplifted
Example: http://www.business.vic.gov.au/BUSVI...3239.html#Nav5

If it is a condition of entry, and you refuse to abide by the conditions, then you are the one breaking the rules, not the shop.

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:33 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Advise to Business Owners from the Government:

Example: http://www.business.vic.gov.au/BUSVI...3239.html#Nav5

If it is a condition of entry, and you refuse to abide by the conditions, then you are the one breaking the rules, not the shop.
You are not breaking the law just the shops condition of entry where one of three things can happen. To call the Police they would have to have good reason to believe that you had stolen something.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:35 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Your in Australia now , bide by its laws ..........when in Rome ....dont like it leave...........mm
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by mr mover
Your in Australia now , bide by its laws ..........when in Rome ....dont like it leave...........mm
But it is not the law just a condition of entry. If I am asked I refuse. If they then say I can't shop there, I go somewhere else. No problem.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:41 am
Account Closed

So it's guilty until proven innocent in Australia is it ?!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

Got to say it doesnt bother me.. But then neither do CCTV cameras...

Got much more important and serious things to annoy me than some poor person just following the rules of the store employing them... In fact the customer who behaves like the OP would annoy me more in actual fact!! Bloody Pommies!!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
Bloody Pommies!!
- WRONG!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:45 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tooterelli

To the person who said the same happens in France; I don't believe that is the case - the French wouldn't stand for it! I used to live in France and there is sometimes an option to leave your bags when you go in to shops that that is simply for your own benefit.
Used to happen to me in France.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by WelshSarah
Got to say it doesnt bother me.. But then neither do CCTV cameras...

Got much more important and serious things to annoy me than some poor person just following the rules of the store employing them... In fact the customer who behaves like the OP would annoy me more in actual fact!! Bloody Pommies!!
It doesn't bother me per se, I just think that it is wrong. If they have reason to suspect that I may have stolen something then fine (as long as it is justified) but just to ask to search my bags, No.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Used to happen to me in France.
Had a house in France for a long time and I was never asked.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Invasion of privacy - why do Ozzies put up with it?

It's one of Australias little quirks, that is very annoying. I personally hate it as well.

I dont mind CCTV but for some reason, looking into someones bag seems like overkill.

As for the rules that ABCD quoted anyone can call the police over anything, but can they restrain you ?

I doubt it. Surely that would be false imprisoment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.